Tours on Nawillwili

augiesmom

Looking for recommendations for local tour companies on

Kauai My mom and I enjoy these smaller sized tours, and the cheaper prices we tend to find, compared to what the cruise ships offer.

Thanks!

Some tour companies are very specialized. Are you looking for a particular activity, like cave rafting, or do you want to see specific attractions, like Waimea Canyon? Trip Advisor is a great resource, with top companies based on reviewers and all reviews for each listed.

I would stay away from excursion consolidator companies which simply funnel you off to an independent tour company, but charge an extra fee for doing so.

Do your research and book direct with the tour provider.

Be aware that most things in Hawaii require no tours to see and are easily accessed by rental cars for a full days worth of exploring. For the cost of about $40 for a rental, in a days time you could see what it would cost you hundreds to see by tours.

Some tour companies are very specialized. Are you looking for a particular activity, like cave rafting, or do you want to see specific attractions, like Waimea Canyon? Trip Advisor is a great resource, with top companies based on reviewers and all reviews for each listed.

I would stay away from excursion consolidator companies which simply funnel you off to an independent tour company, but charge an extra fee for doing so.

Do your research and book direct with the tour provider.

Be aware that most things in Hawaii require no tours to see and are easily accessed by rental cars for a full days worth of exploring. For the cost of about $40 for a rental, in a days time you could see what it would cost you hundreds to see by tours.

A rental car also works best for us on all islands although we use The Bus to get around O'ahu to not drive in traffic.

On Kauai, I've read that afternoon traffic returning from the north shore can have a considerable back up returning to the Lihue area. It's a factor that I consider to comfortably get back to the ship on time. For our next day on Kauai we plan to go to the south shore areas but haven't read about traffic delays from that direction.

A rental car also works best for us on all islands although we use The Bus to get around O'ahu to not drive in traffic.

On Kauai, I've read that afternoon traffic returning from the north shore can have a considerable back up returning to the Lihue area. It's a factor that I consider to comfortably get back to the ship on time. For our next day on Kauai we plan to go to the south shore areas but haven't read about traffic delays from that direction.

As I'm sure you know the problem is that whether you're coming south from the Princeville area or are travelling across the south shore there really is only one two lane road.

Several years ago we were headed back from the Lihue area to Poipu and found the road blocked due to a very serious accident involving a motorcycle and several cars. As a result the road was blocked in both directions for over 3 hours. Fortunately we weren't on a cruise on that occasion, but had we been it may well have turned into a problem as this was mid afternoon and I doubt that traffic headed to Nawiliwili would have made the port in time. It's always something to keep in mind when driving on Kauai.

As I'm sure you know the problem is that whether you're coming south from the Princeville area or are travelling across the south shore there really is only one two lane road.

Several years ago we were headed back from the Lihue area to Poipu and found the road blocked due to a very serious accident involving a motorcycle and several cars. As a result the road was blocked in both directions for over 3 hours. Fortunately we weren't on a cruise on that occasion, but had we been it may well have turned into a problem as this was mid afternoon and I doubt that traffic headed to Nawiliwili would have made the port in time. It's always something to keep in mind when driving on Kauai.

Mahalo for sharing your Kauai experiences which can also be a problem on Maui.

There's a 2-lane road along the coast from Ma'alaea to West Maui (Lahaina, Ka'anapali & Kapalua) which on average is closed due to an accident or brushfire a couple of times per month. That can result in the road being closed for many hours & without any good alternative it's a factor passengers may want to consider when independently touring. Not that the ship can wait too long but if possible they'll wait for their late arriving tours but not for those on their own.

The road around the north end of Maui in the Kahakuloa area is basically one lane with turnouts for passing with cliffs on the other side. Several times per year both locals & tourists roll their cars downhill & some do not survive. :(

We'll have to decide if we'll rent a car to see Kauai south shore sites which we haven't visited in decades or just a relaxing day at the hotel near the cruise ship's pier...if anyone has any experiences to share that would be appreciated.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I know exactly what you mean about the road traversing the north end of Maui, it can be a little bit hair raising, particularly when others don't quite understand the concept of sharing a one lane road.:eek:

Most of our time spent on Kauai has been on land based trips so driving wasn't much of an issue. When we visit by ship we usually just wander around the harbor area and then end up at the Marriott. For cruisers who may not have been there before and want to rent a car to see as much as possible it is a difficult decision as to just how far to roam and still not worry about making it back to the ship in time.

I know exactly what you mean about the road traversing the north end of Maui, it can be a little bit hair raising, particularly when others don't quite understand the concept of sharing a one lane road.:eek:

Most of our time spent on Kauai has been on land based trips so driving wasn't much of an issue. When we visit by ship we usually just wander around the harbor area and then end up at the Marriott. For cruisers who may not have been there before and want to rent a car to see as much as possible it is a difficult decision as to just how far to roam and still not worry about making it back to the ship in time.

If missing the ship in Kauai on a Princess itinerary there's the option to fly to Maui to rejoin the ship. If missing the ship in Maui, the next stop is Ensenada or more realistically LA at the end of the cruise. :eek:

That's a PVSA violation which may result in a fine so I never want to miss the sailing from Maui.

Is a day at the Marriott just a beach day or are there other things to do?

Edited by Astro Flyer

If missing the ship in Kauai on a Princess itinerary there's the option to fly to Maui to rejoin the ship. If missing the ship in Maui, the next stop is Ensenada or more realistically LA at the end of the cruise. :eek:

That's a PVSA violation which may result in a fine so I never want to miss the sailing from Maui.

I hear you, missing the ship in Maui would be a problem.

As far as the Marriott goes, there are a few decent shops and you can watch them feed the koi, but in reality it's mainly a beach day. The beach, like anywhere in the Islands, is public, however Marriott are pretty sticky about the fact that only registered guests use the loungers. That said it is a nice beach with extensive grassy areas well shaded by palms, just a nice area to relax. Several decent places to eat in the immediate area.

If you like walking there is a path from the Marriott up to the Kauai Lagoons golf course, very scenic. We used to walk around the course and then come back for breakfast.

It's not advisable to take that one lane road around the north end of Maui. It may void your rental car contract to be on it. Definately not worth it. It takes hours to drive, time which could be much better spent elsewhere. Better to cut across the center of the island to west Maui, and then backtrack.

Not sure whether your ship overnights in Maui and Kauai. If so, then do your farthest out adventure on day 1. If you should be so unlucky as to encounter blocked traffic, it will not matter if you get back 2 or 3 hours later than you had planned. If you have only one day in port, either book a ship's tour, or if going out on your own, either stay closer to the ship or give yourself a few hours cushion in returning. If you miss the POA on any port stop, no violation of the PVSA as the ship is US flagged.

Kalapaki Bay and Beach is close by the Port in Kauai, walking distance from the ship. There are two small shopping areas, the Mariott backs up on the beach, and there are several places to eat including a Dukes with beachfront bar at the Mariott. There is a botanical garden inside the Mariott which you are free to walk around. If you have already seen much of Kauai's attractions, this might be a nice way to spend a port day, especially the last morning of day two prior to ships departure in the early afternoon on the POA, but if you are new to Hawaii, I would not find this a good substitute for getting out and seeing the island.

It's not advisable to take that one lane road around the north end of Maui. It may void your rental car contract to be on it. Definately not worth it. It takes hours to drive, time which could be much better spent elsewhere. Better to cut across the center of the island to west Maui, and then backtrack.

Not sure whether your ship overnights in Maui and Kauai. If so, then do your farthest out adventure on day 1. If you should be so unlucky as to encounter blocked traffic, it will not matter if you get back 2 or 3 hours later than you had planned. If you have only one day in port, either book a ship's tour, or if going out on your own, either stay closer to the ship or give yourself a few hours cushion in returning. If you miss the POA on any port stop, no violation of the PVSA as the ship is US flagged.

Kalapaki Bay and Beach is close by the Port in Kauai, walking distance from the ship. There are two small shopping areas, the Mariott backs up on the beach, and there are several places to eat including a Dukes with beachfront bar at the Mariott. There is a botanical garden inside the Mariott which you are free to walk around. If you have already seen much of Kauai's attractions, this might be a nice way to spend a port day, especially the last morning of day two prior to ships departure in the early afternoon on the POA, but if you are new to Hawaii, I would not find this a good substitute for getting out and seeing the island.

You may be right about folks visiting from a ship not wanting to spend time on the road traversing the northern end of Maui. Nonetheless it is very scenic and for those of us who have lived on Maui we had all the time in the world to explore parts of the island that most people never see.

You may be right about folks visiting from a ship not wanting to spend time on the road traversing the northern end of Maui. Nonetheless it is very scenic and for those of us who have lived on Maui we had all the time in the world to explore parts of the island that most people never see.

You may be right, but I hate to see that route mentioned and folks deciding to take it without knowing what they are getting into. I don't recall it being especially scenic. Maybe we were too busy making sure we did not go over the side and plummet to our deaths.;). I was praying the whole way that we would not encounter another car going the opposite direction. If that happens, sometimes one car has to back up to a safe pull off area on a one lane road with no shoulders, a rock wall on one side, and a 1,000 ft drop down into the ocean on the other. It was not relaxing or enjoyable. IMO that's one road best left to the locals who know what they are doing, not a tourist with a rental car. I am always surprised by the number of visitors to our house who cannot even back down our curved wide driveway without running off into the yard.

Edited by punkincc

Good thing I was a local who knows how to drive:)

I don't know if it's routine but read when Honoapi'ilani is closed that Kahekili around the north end is restricted to locals only & I think that's a good idea.

Although as I recall the most recent roll down the cliff was a local. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer