NOLA hotels or surrounding areas

Arkansasgirlz

Looking to see if this awesome entity Saint Greg would offer any help with booking a hotel for June 11-12 for a family of four. I simply can't grasp the Hotwire concept of not knowing which hotel we will be at. Driving in that Saturday and basically just looking to rest before our cruise the next day. Trying not to spend too much. Thank you! I have been trying to read all the other threads but when I check certain hotels they seem to be sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First off since you're a family of four it's important that you pick 2 adults and 2 children when searching hotwire. That'll guarantee you a 2 bed room. And don't mess with priceline. They only book for double occupancy.

Looks like an expensive weekend. You can't stay in the downtown area for under $200. I'll give you the cheapest one in that area just in case. If you do want to stay down there I can look at the other ones for you.

French Quarter - Bourbon 3.5* - $206 85% recommend - Wyndham New Orleans French Quarter

When I want to save money I stay in Metairie or by the Airport. This last cruise I stayed at the Sheraton Metairie at Lakeway before the cruise and the Airport Doubletree after...both were around $80. I don't see either of those on your night but I'll give you my best guesses.

Metairie - Harahan - Jefferson 3.5* $121 70% recommend - Looks like Sheraton - Metairie - New Orleans which used to be a 3* but it says "new to hotwire" so it could be something I've never seen before.

MSY Airport - 3.5* - $125 85% recommend - Crowne Plaza Airport

MSY Airport - 3* - $112 100% recommend - Holiday Inn Express and Suites New Orleans Airport South

MSY Airport all-suites hotel - 2.5* $114 90% recommend - Comfort Suites Airport

MSY Airport - 2.5* $122 95% recommend - Comfort Inn New Orleans Airport

Anything lower than these I would beware of because they are 60% and under on their recommendation. There's a 3* airport with a 25% recommendation. I had a time in Dallas when I booked a 3* with a 15% recommendation. It was a 3*...how bad could it be? It was so bad I stayed on the phone with hotwire for over an hour until I got someone to switch me. I'm talking prostitutes and bed bugs.

I think that 2.5* Metairie with 65% recommendation for $56 may be the Ramada. I stayed there a couple years ago. It had potential...but was old. They were remodeling it at the time. Could be better now. I liked the balcony. They had an ihop. Their free breakfast was certain items from the ihop.

I am also looking for assistance from Saint Greg because I'm clueless on where to start my research.

A bit of background: I will be travelling with family in November on the Carnival Dream. We will be coming from different parts of the country. I plan to fly in from NY area along with husband, sister and friend the Friday or Saturday prior to cruise and stay at hotel in area, exact date of arrival in NOLA is not known because we have not made air reservations yet. Cruise dates are 11/6 to 11/13. Depending on price and availability of air travel we may stay a day afterwards and return home. We need recommendations for hotels which are reasonable and preferably include airport shuttle, we also need to know if there are any which will provide some type of transportation to ship; if not need to know how much it costs to and from port from hotel.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!

I am also looking for assistance from Saint Greg because I'm clueless on where to start my research.

A bit of background: I will be travelling with family in November on the Carnival Dream. We will be coming from different parts of the country. I plan to fly in from NY area along with husband, sister and friend the Friday or Saturday prior to cruise and stay at hotel in area, exact date of arrival in NOLA is not known because we have not made air reservations yet. Cruise dates are 11/6 to 11/13. Depending on price and availability of air travel we may stay a day afterwards and return home. We need recommendations for hotels which are reasonable and preferably include airport shuttle, we also need to know if there are any which will provide some type of transportation to ship; if not need to know how much it costs to and from port from hotel.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!

I've never flown into New Orleans. The only shuttle I've ever used is the one from Fulton Parking Garage to the Port. But I'll help you out as much as I can and maybe someone who has used airport/cruise port transportation can chime in.

I think your decsion may have to be betweeen staying by the aiport where you can get free shuttle service to/from airport and paying for transportation to the cruise port. Staying downtown and having to pay for transportation to/from airport and cruise port. Or booking at one of the stay and cruise hotels that have transportation to the port.

If you're just staying the night before your cruise, you can get Hilton Riverside on Hotwire 4* warehouse district for $108.If you want to guarantee a 2-bed room make sure you pick the 2 adults and 2 children option when searching. Sometimes that will increase the price..in this case it doesn't. This is a great price for a saturday night. In about a month they'll release the NFL schedule and if that turns out to be a Saints home game weekend, people will be booking it....I'll be one of them.

Supposedly a cab from the airport is $36 for 2 people and they add a fee for additional people. I believe a cab to the port is $7/per person. It may be something you can walk. The riverwalk mall is connected to this hotel and if you walk to the end of the mall...that puts you pretty close to the port.

If you want a hotel with a free airport shuttle you'll probably have to stay out by the airport and then just pay for transportation to the cruise port. If you look at the hotwire MSY airport options...you'll see ones with shuttle service listed.

3.5 * MSY Airport 85% recommendation airport shuttle ($108 with 2 adults 0 children...aka 1 bed, $128 with 2 adults 2 children..aka 2 beds) Crowne Plaza Airport

2.5* MSY Airport all suites hotel 90% recommendation airport shuttle and free breakfast ($114 2-bed $102 1-bed) Comfort Suites

2.5* MSY Airport 95% recommendation airport shuttle and free breakfast ($114 1-bed, $122 2-bed) Comfort Inn New Orleans Airport

2.5* MSY Airport 80% recommendation airport shuttle and free breakfast $76....I THINK it's Fairfield Inn

You may want to check this thread about the park and cruise hotels. I know you aren't parking but those hotels have shuttles to the port...may be worth checking out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2149088

The day you come back it looks like most downtown/fq area hotels are $166-323/night. If you want more details on some of those, let me know...But here's an interesting one:

3.5* Bourbon Street/Mississpi River for $136. I've never been here and I don't see this come up often but it's on decatur street and has great reviews...this is what I think it is:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60864-d668969-Reviews-Bluegreen_Vacations_Club_La_Pension_Ascend_Resort_Collection-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html

I just wanted to say thank you to Saint Greg and everyone who has asked and responded to questions. I would normally never book through Hotwire and use their hot deals option as I would have been paranoid of the results.

However thanks to the information you guys provided I was comfortable using this option. I booked the 4* French Quarter Bourbon St option and got Astor Crown Plaza which I am very happy with.

Thanks again

Saint Greg:

Thank you for your response to my questions. You made an excellent point about the NFL schedule and whether there will be a home game. That is something I never thought about. Guess I'd better make some kind of reservation soon.

Thanks again!!!!

Saint Greg, I was wondering if you could help me as well. I am looking for a hotel in the French Quarter area for 7/23/16 pre cruise. I was wondering if you have any idea which hotel could be on Hotwire for that area for $108 or can you recommend. Just me and my husband but we want to experience Bourbon St and have a nice dinner. Thanks in advance!

Saint Greg, I was wondering if you could help me as well. I am looking for a hotel in the French Quarter area for 7/23/16 pre cruise. I was wondering if you have any idea which hotel could be on Hotwire for that area for $108 or can you recommend. Just me and my husband but we want to experience Bourbon St and have a nice dinner. Thanks in advance!

I see a 4* French Quarter-Bourbon Street 80% Recommendation for $104 on the 7/23. That's Astor Crowne Plaza on the corner of Bourbon and Canal. Good price for a saturday night.

Hello Saint Greg :)

First off I think it is so generous of you to take the time to help us who do not know how or are afraid to use Hotwire; for the record I am both!

I do not know how this works. I was reading your posts here and decided to go look for myself and I just don't know about this "book" and guaranteed a hotel in a certain area but you do not know which hotel it is until after you commit? lol I can't even book a guarantee cabin on a cruise! lol

We are cruising out of New Orleans on May 14th. We are driving in on the 13th, Friday before. I have looked and I did find an actual hotel named for 149.00 (Marriott Metairie at Lakeway) but I thought I would ask you what you see. We would love to pay less than that. We have never been to New Orleans. We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral and pay no more than 120.00 for our nights stay.

Anyway...thank you for any advice you can offer! :)

Edited by indychristine

Hello Saint Greg :)

First off I think it is so generous of you to take the time to help us who do not know how or are afraid to use Hotwire; for the record I am both!

I do not know how this works. I was reading your posts here and decided to go look for myself and I just don't know about this "book" and guaranteed a hotel in a certain area but you do not know which hotel it is until after you commit? lol I can't even book a guarantee cabin on a cruise! lol

We are cruising out of New Orleans on May 14th. We are driving in on the 13th, Friday before. I have looked and I did find an actual hotel named for 149.00 (Marriott Metairie at Lakeway) but I thought I would ask you what you see. We would love to pay less than that. We have never been to New Orleans. We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral and pay no more than 120.00 for our nights stay.

Anyway...thank you for any advice you can offer! :)

I stayed at the Marriot Metairie at Lakeway precruise last month. Very nice hotel! I got it for $60 as a 3.5*on Hotwire....of course that was a Sunday night which is usually a little cheaper than saturday. Unfortunately I don't see it on Hotwire for your night. If you are willing to book a non-refundable room...and I assume you are since Hotwire in non-refundable....You can save a quick $20 by booking this hotel on Expedia. Expedia has it for $129 standard room with a king or two double bed option. I should also mention if you stay there be prepared to pay for parking. It's like $20 valet with unlimited entry/exit. Parking yourself has different rates depending on how long you're parking. And if you leave and come back multiple times, they charge you each time. If you're going to be there 12 hours or more you are probably better off just paying for valet.

You can save a little more if you book one of the hotwire hotels. On hotwire you don't know what you're getting until after you pay for it. But I can sometimes take the area, the star level, % recommendation, and amenities together and figure out what it is based on hotels I've booked or I've seen others book. There are two 3.5 star hotels on Hotwire in the Metairie area and there are only two other 3.5 star hotels in Metairie I am aware of so I feel pretty good about these guesses. Both are cheaper than Lakeway and have free parking.

These two look exactly the same on hotwire. The only difference is price and one has "self service laundry" as an amenity. I believe that one to be Landmark.

Hotwire Metairie/Harahan:

3.5* $102 - Best Western Plus Landmark

3.5* $108 - Brent House

• 4 weeks later...
It's Hilton Riverside.

Wow first let me say Your an awesome person to help everyone like you do!!!! KUDOS to you!!!

I may be in touch with you Saint Greg

as I am cruising out of NO for the 1st time( previously booked out of NO but bused to Mobile due to high river)- we flew in though for that one.I am driving over from Texas and will have another carload of friends who will need a hotel. I have never used Hotwire or Priceline and totally lost with how it works.

I hope I can get some help from you later. Were driving in on Sunday August 28th cruising on the 29th on the Triumph.

we will need two rooms. One for me and my coworker and the other for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids One is a 3 year old

Edited by Babyblue

• 4 weeks later...