Hiking El Yunque with young kids

queenL

Which are the better trails for hiking with young children? My husband and I are capable of more strenuous hikes, however, this time we will have our kids with us. Since they've never been hiking, I'm uncertain how much they will be able to handle.

Which are the better trails for hiking with young children? My husband and I are capable of more strenuous hikes, however, this time we will have our kids with us. Since they've never been hiking, I'm uncertain how much they will be able to handle.

You can start off at the visitor center. Lots of vegetation and you can pick up a map.

La Coca falls is right by the road a little further up - no hiking required.

Yokahu Tower is a bit past that. There's a good-sized parking lot and you walk a hundred yards or so to a medieval-type tower. Take the winding stairs to the top for some great looks. Not too strenuous. You always see kids there.

As you get up into the high end of the park there's a food stand midway up for some lunch. Close by is the parking lot for the Big Tree trail. This is a trail of moderate difficulty down to La Mina waterfall, which is very nice. It connects to the La Mina trail which is a bear if you're going uphill. I would stick with Big Tree.

By this time people should know how they feel about things.

The trails to Los Picachos and El Yunque itself lead to stunning views from the top but they're definitely high and long. I doubt too many kids would want to tackle it.

At the very end of the accessible section of the park is the Mt Britton tower. This is similar to Yokahu tower but requires a longer walk - close to a mile I think. A paved road leads up to El Yunque but it is a lengthy uphill climb. Superboy and Supergirl might like it.

If you take things more or less in this order it will give everyone a good feel for how much they can handle. Just being in the park is beautiful. Unique place.

• 3 months later...
You can start off at the visitor center. Lots of vegetation and you can pick up a map.

La Coca falls is right by the road a little further up - no hiking required.

Yokahu Tower is a bit past that. There's a good-sized parking lot and you walk a hundred yards or so to a medieval-type tower. Take the winding stairs to the top for some great looks. Not too strenuous. You always see kids there.

As you get up into the high end of the park there's a food stand midway up for some lunch. Close by is the parking lot for the Big Tree trail. This is a trail of moderate difficulty down to La Mina waterfall, which is very nice. It connects to the La Mina trail which is a bear if you're going uphill. I would stick with Big Tree.

By this time people should know how they feel about things.

The trails to Los Picachos and El Yunque itself lead to stunning views from the top but they're definitely high and long. I doubt too many kids would want to tackle it.

At the very end of the accessible section of the park is the Mt Britton tower. This is similar to Yokahu tower but requires a longer walk - close to a mile I think. A paved road leads up to El Yunque but it is a lengthy uphill climb. Superboy and Supergirl might like it.

If you take things more or less in this order it will give everyone a good feel for how much they can handle. Just being in the park is beautiful. Unique place.

Wonderful description and thank you! We will be here next month and would like to do a little exploring. We will have an 8 year old with us. I don't suppose you have a copy of this map do you? Any pictures? What do they serve at the good stand? Good to know they have this and we might be able to sit for awhile and have lunch. Are there any spectacular views at the stand? Or just a stand with food.