Roatan 12/8/14

Podie

I am a scuba diver and will be diving in the morning with Subway Watersports. After I'm done and I've put my gear back on the ship, any recommendations for a beach not too far from the Coxen dock?

I am a scuba diver and will be diving in the morning with Subway Watersports. After I'm done and I've put my gear back on the ship, any recommendations for a beach not too far from the Coxen dock?

No beaches close to Coxen Hole that won't require a taxi. If you are diving with Subway and you are at Turquoise Bay I would recommend staying there for a while for a relaxing, quiet beach. Google for images.

Holly at Subway said West Bay Beach has the nicest water and it's about 15 minutes by taxi from Coxen Hole - does that sound correct? I would rather store my stuff on the ship and then meet my son and his girlfriend on a beach afterward.

Holly at Subway said West Bay Beach has the nicest water and it's about 15 minutes by taxi from Coxen Hole - does that sound correct? I would rather store my stuff on the ship and then meet my son and his girlfriend on a beach afterward.

Well, certainly West Bay Beach is where the majority of cruisers go. I cannot compare because I try and seek out places that are less crowded and haven't actually made it to West Bay yet!

It all depends where you are going to do your diving and how much time you have. If you are diving at Turquoise Bay, where Subway are located, then it is about 30-40 mins from Coxen Hole in the opposite direction. We went there when the guys arranged fishing through Subway and the ladies stayed on the beach. We had a private driver for the day. It was fine for a relaxing few hours at the beach but depends what else you want to do. There are some reviews and photos on here if you use the search engine for this forum. Of course that assumes that is where you are actually diving as they do use other locations, I think.

Transport on Roatan is expensive and to me it would not be worth the time and expense to return to Coxen Hole and then pay for more transport to West Bay. Your call depending on the time you have available and how your plans fit in with your group.

You should plan on approximately 20-25 minutes at the least to get to WBB (West Bay Beach) and it will be an expensive ride. How long it will take to get anywhere on Roatan depends upon how many ships are in port, whether or not there is an accident (remember that the main road is a single lane each direction) or whether traffic is backed up waiting for livestock to cross. By the time you finish your dive, drop your dive gear on the ship and grab a taxi you may wind up with a very short time at WBB before you need to head back to the ship.