Music Manila Band on Carnival Spirit

Hi. Does anybody know if the rock band ‘Music Manila’ are currently on Carnival Spirit? We will be cruising on the Spirit in late August this year and would love them still to be onboard. We cruised with them about this time last year and really enjoyed their entertainment.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Found the answer! They have facebook https://www.facebook.com/MusicManilaCruiseBand

This is what they posted:

Hello everyone,Peace be with you all,we just want to inform you all that we are all here in our country (Philippines) for our vacation,we've been here for a week and a day,we left Sydney May 10,2014(Sat.)thanks again to you all for all your support to us,see you soon after 8 weeks in Sydney,keep on rock'in,GOD bless you all,to GOD be all the Glory,we love you all,,,XOXO......(",)

I'm very happy they will be on our cruise! :)

I raised this same question a few weeks ago.

I contacted Carnival and they would confirm that the band was returning to Carnival in July, but would not tell me which ship! So, as the Legend isn't here until October (I think), I am presuming (hoping!!) they are returning to the Spirit as they say they are coming back to Sydney.

I booked a cruise in August on the Spirit purely on this presumption (hope)!!

Edited by Fletch1

I raised this same question a few weeks ago.

I contacted Carnival and they would confirm that the band was returning to Carnival in July, but would not tell me which ship! So, as the Legend isn't here until October (I think), I am presuming (hoping!!) they are returning to the Spirit as they say they are coming back to Sydney.

I booked a cruise in August on the Spirit purely on this presumption (hope)!!

It all points to them being on the Spirit doesn't it?

We are on the 29th August 2014 cruise. As I said, I am very much looking forward to listening to them again. My favourite memory of our last cruise was an afternoon concert they performed on the stage beside the pool. They started around mid afternoon and went for about 2.5 hrs from memory. They didn't hold back ether. They were 'on fire'. The crowd was thin but very appreciative.

Thanks for your message. Nice to chat with a fellow fan!

Regards Gary

Hi Gary & Fletch1

We're sailing on Spirit on 1 August so, on your comments here, We'll certainly be looking out for them & will let you know afterwards if they're on board.

Phil

Thanks for that Phil. Much appreciated. Yes they are good. They are real characters as well. Nice guys. Sometimes the vocals aren't the strength of the song but the musicianship well and truly makes up for it. The guitarist really lets rip at times .... and takes you with him. Hope you enjoy them and the total cruise as well.

Gary

(I sound like a proper music reviewer don't I?)

Yeah they're a great party band and a nice bunch of fellas. They really play to their Aussie audience. They told us that when the Spirit relocated to Australia, they had to learn a whole new set list that the passengers wanted. If they got requests for a song they didn't know they simply went away and learnt it and added it to their list.

A bit 'raucous & rude' in Club Cool late at night with the Angels 'am I ever gonna see your face again' and Smokey's 'living next door to Alice' (if you know what I mean).

Now I love to listen to music but I can't play a note nor hold a note when attempting to sing. But for those who can, if you approach the band and ask respectfully they'll let you sit in on an instrument or sing a song or two. My travelling companion Ecka did just that - we approached the keyboard player who appeared to be the band leader (we called him Phil because we reckon he looks like Phil Ceberano) and asked if Ecka could sing a song. They said yes and he nailed the Australian national anthem - Khe Sanh.

Happy times and great memories

Thanks for that Phil. Much appreciated. Yes they are good. They are real characters as well. Nice guys. Sometimes the vocals aren't the strength of the song but the musicianship well and truly makes up for it. The guitarist really lets rip at times .... and takes you with him. Hope you enjoy them and the total cruise as well.

Gary

(I sound like a proper music reviewer don't I?)

Hi ,

I agree they are a great band...I play guitar and I agree their guitarist is exceptional as is the rest of the group.

I was speaking to their bass player up on deck one day and was suprised that he and the guitarist have no musical background and he cannot read music (neither can I) but having said that I have heard trained musicians who do not play as well as those guys.

I guess they just compliment each other and their music really gels.

I was invited to play a couple of songs with them but unfortunatly I play left handed.

I am sailing on Spirit in September and really hope they are on board.

Col:)

... My travelling companion Ecka did just that - we approached the keyboard player who appeared to be the band leader (we called him Phil because we reckon he looks like Phil Ceberano) and asked if Ecka could sing a song. They said yes and he nailed the Australian national anthem - Khe Sanh.

Happy times and great memories

Oh yes, a good rendition of the peoples anthem is great! Made me smile reading this :D

We are cruising on August 29th so looking forward to hearing them. I love sitting on deck, kicking back to a good band and enjoying a few cocktails :D

I'm on the Spirit right now and Music Manila are listed in the fun times :)

Excellent news!!!! That's made my day...so glad I will get to see them again. Can't wait now. Have a great cruise.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by Fletch1

• 3 weeks later...
They were great as usual! Definitely a cold shock to the system being back in Sydney. Was a great cruise but tinged with sadness as we lost the cook overboard.

Yes that was a sad thing to have happen.

Great that you enjoyed the cruise.

Just a question regarding the band. Did they do the 'two - three hour afternoon rock concert' on the pool deck? To me this is where they had total control over their repertoire and really let it rip?

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure, avoided lido pool area like the plague (that's where the 1000 kids lived) . They seemed to be down in club cool late afternoon whenever I saw them around.

I know what you mean. Luckily the Cruise we were on was during the school term so numbers were down!

We also enjoyed listening to them in Club Cool. It is just the right size venue for them isn't it. Can't wait till August 29 when we will be on board to see them again.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Music Manilla have been playing on the current sailing (23 July) and have been absolutely wonderful! Thanks for the tip off folks!

Thanks for the confirmation that they are still there and just as entertaining as ever. Glad you thought they were wonderful as well. On our upcoming cruise it is my plan to not miss one minutes of their shows.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from our first cruise and we made it a point to see Music Manilla onboard after reading the posts here. THANKS for the tip !!! :D

WOW...totally enjoyed every set of theirs ! The guys are great, so much fun and talent :) A reason for us to book another Carnival Spirit cruise now :p:p:p

Just returned from our first cruise and we made it a point to see Music Manilla onboard after reading the posts here. THANKS for the tip !!! :D

WOW...totally enjoyed every set of theirs ! The guys are great, so much fun and talent :) A reason for us to book another Carnival Spirit cruise now :p:p:p

Glad they are still good. We leave on our cruise in just over two weeks now. 29 Aug. Can't wait to be on board and see them again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question regarding the band. Did they do the 'two - three hour afternoon rock concert' on the pool deck? To me this is where they had total control over their repertoire and really let it rip?

Gary

Hi Gary

Belated comment following our 1 Aug '14 sailing on Spirit.

Thanks for the heads up re the band - they were fabulous & you're 100% correct, the pool deck concert was the best.

They held it early on in the cruise, I think whilst we were at the Isle of Pines, our first port of call. This was their first appearance & they played for 3 hours from 2.30pm & we watched from up on Deck 10 overlooking the pool deck. They rocked & won themselves a huge following which meant Club Cool was very popular whenever they played there, which was most nights after that. Even sighted the captain & his wife enjoying them on at least one occasion one evening.

They were great in encouraging a passenger to take over the drums one night so the drummer could move up front. Her name was Louise & she was pretty darn good as a fill-in!

They should do more afternoon poolside shows, given the atmosphere was so good & we couldn't always make it through the late nights at Club Cool (slowing down now in life!!!!), although my sister & my B.I.L. were there everytime they played.

In fact, we made mention of the wish for more poolside concerts from them in our post-cruise Carnival survey.

Enjoy your cruise Gary - only 4 days to go, lucky b!

Phil

Ah, Aug 1st, we were also on that same cruise :)

" I hate you Louise" :p That drummer is hilarious ! His Michael Jackson interpretation of Neil Diamond has to be seen to be believed :)

We ended up most nights in Club Cool also, but I must say the band really shone in their outside pool concert. There they had room to move about and really let loose :D

Not to be missed !

We were on there last week and these guys did not disappoint. It was great to see them again. Their list of music has increased so much since I last saw them...they play a lot of Australian rock now and as well as a Beatles medley to compliment their Queen medley.

In their concert pool side, they played for 2 hours straight, had a half hour break then played for 1.5 hours. Their rendition of Hotel California has to be seen to be believed.

They are on board until December, then go home home for Xmas for the first time in 8 years!!!

I would get back on this ship just to see these guys again (and probably will!!!).