'Lunch included' private tours

Usually the lunch included is at a rug factory.

If it says it is included that means there is no cost - it is in the price of the tour. So you don't have to pay for you or the guide.

We have done both. We had a great lunch at the rug factory. But we also enjoyed the rug factory. The demonstration of how they get the silk from the cocoon, make it into thread, dye it and hook the rugs was very informative and I enjoyed it. We also enjoyed looking at the rugs. On our first visit (just dh and I) we did not buy. On our second visit (with SIL and BIL) we did not go to the rug factory and on our third visit last fall (with MIL and FIL) we bought 2 rugs :eek: We will be returning next spring for visit #4 with son and DIL. Not sure if we will visit rug factory or not…….

On the visit we did not go (#2) we ate at another restaurant near the marina and the meal was FANTASTIC ! Our guide recommended it and we asked him and our driver to join us. Our treat as it was not included in the tour price.

So just be sure you are clear on what you want, what you don't want and what you GET and what you don't GET……… and enjoy Kusadasi - it is a very neat place (obviously as we are going back for our 4th visit !)

Thanks much - we have several ports - Nafplion, Mykonos, Rhodes, Volos, Katakolon, & Corfu.

One item my DH will be looking for is a high quality Mask - he collects the during our travels if he can find authentic, original (maybe museums)......

I appreciate the suggestions - and agree that olive wood is beautiful and soap luxurious - we have a lot of olive trees where we live and the products are wonderful.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Thanks much - we have several ports - Nafplion, Mykonos, Rhodes, Volos, Katakolon, & Corfu.

One item my DH will be looking for is a high quality Mask - he collects the during our travels if he can find authentic, original (maybe museums)......

I appreciate the suggestions - and agree that olive wood is beautiful and soap luxurious - we have a lot of olive trees where we live and the products are wonderful.

Thanks for the ideas!!

:eek: oooops…..this post is in the wrong thread. You have another thread about shopping in the Greece forum.

You need to repost this over on the right thread. ;)

I wondered where the heck I posted this!!!

Seems to happen more and more.:eek:....thank you for clearing this up for me!! :p

No problem, I have those moments myself. I posted a list of items I have bought in your upcoming ports on that thread….. I am a shopper but I like unusual things. Many times I will forgo some of the touristy things in number for one or two quality more expensive items……

If it says it is included that means there is no cost - it is in the price of the tour. So you don't have to pay for you or the guide.
I agree with this. In this sort of situation you will be served a group meal and your guide/driver may even disappear for an hour. Don't worry about them.

It's when you hire a car or van for the day and set your own schedule (that extends over lunchtime but doesn't include the actual lunch in the price of the tour that you negotiate) that you may feel some pressure to treat your guide and driver to lunch. You are not required to do this, unless this is stipulated in advance as part of your tour contract. If you have developed a good rapport with them and you sincerely feel like paying for them to join you for lunch, go right ahead. But I would imagine that most of them would prefer for you to add the equivalent amount to their cash tip at the end of the day.

Thanks everyone. I have checked into a couple of our tours that are full days - they state that lunch is at an additional cost.....so I guess we will play it by ear so to speak - two are private and two are small groups. Small groups I am guessing will be easy.

Vineyard View

You don't need to buy the guide/driver their lunch. Even if the tour is personalised they will be duly looked after by the restaurant owner. It is a common practice in Europe that the driver/guide will not pay for their lunch or drinks. The restaurant owner will know they have taken you there. Even if the tour is personalised they will always know suitable restaurants which they will use.

You should also feel free to choose your own restaurant if you feel like it, or not to eat lunch at all (your itinerary will still include a lunch break for the driver and guide). But even if you follow the guide someplace, in my experience they won't sit down and eat with you at the same table. They may stay nearby so you can ask them questions about the food or ordering, but there isn't an assumption that you're all one big group (with everything going on one big bill). Like you said, play it by ear, and if in doubt, don't be afraid to ask them directly.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

• 3 weeks later...

Did a lunch-inclusive tour with Ephesus Deluxe this month.

Lunch was at a carpet co-operative, after a short gentle-sell demo of around 20 minutes, Nothing to object to. Nice basic lunch with starters and meat with salad. drinks at modest extra cost.

Haran was a great tour guide for Ephesus et al. At $50 for a full day, brilliant value.

Stuart