Best Island for Dolphin Swim

pgswan

I promised my daughter for our April 2017 cruise I would take her to swim with dolphins (not just dolphin encounter). We are visiting Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. I would love to hear your thoughts about the best place to do this!

My wife swam with the Dolphins on Grand Cayman about two years ago. She had a wonderful time with two dolphins all to her self. It took a week to get the smile off her face. :D It was what they called the Royal Swim package I think. We are going back the end of this month for second go round, hope it is the same as last time. New owners since then I believe, but will let you know.:)

Please be aware that there's a large body of evidence that all of these "Swim with Dolphins" operations are tremendously harmful for the wildlife involved. Although each will try to claim they are somehow the exception, there's no getting around the fact they are interfering with Dolphin's normal activities and life cycles.

The path toward ending this activity that has gained the most popularity so far is to discourage tourists from engaging in the activity. To that end Trip Advisor no longer will allow booking of these activities, and any review of them will contain a link to an explanation of the issues.

I would not presume to make your decision for you, but there are several points to consider:

1) Your experience would involve captive animals engaging in behavior which is not natural for them. Any feeling you take away that you've "shared or bonded" with a dolphin is completely groundless.

2) Each customer of a dolphinarium perpetuates the ability of the business to continue. That's why education of potential customers is the method that wildlife protection agencies are pursuing.

3) Dolphinariums continue the fiction that they assist with research regarding dolphins and other sea life. No valid wildlife organization agrees; and common sense tells you this is nothing more than an attempt to justify their business. No valid data about the behavior of bears could be gained by seeing one ride a bicycle in a circus. Confining a dolphin similarly alters their natural behavior to the point nothing new will be learned, other than it's not good for them.

Having an awareness of the issues may help you make a decision; and will give you a heads up should you encounter looks of disapproval from the locals in port, or perhaps more pointed efforts to discourage your participation in this type of entertainment.

http://us.whales.org/issues/swimming-with-dolphins

Harris

Denver, CO

Harris, what you say is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, nothing like pooping on the young ladies parade. The dolphins my wife swan with were born in captivity, from injured mothers. They were never in the wild, and probably would have died if released. They were well cared for, and the facility was very clean and well maintained. She got to live a lifelong dream, and the dolphins were not harmed. If we carry your logic forward, then no fish should be held in Aquariums, and shame on us for riding horses. The lady asked a very simple question, and your response was very pompous. Lighten up.

Harris, what you say is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, nothing like pooping on the young ladies parade. The dolphins my wife swan with were born in captivity, from injured mothers. They were never in the wild, and probably would have died if released. They were well cared for, and the facility was very clean and well maintained. She got to live a lifelong dream, and the dolphins were not harmed. If we carry your logic forward, then no fish should be held in Aquariums, and shame on us for riding horses. The lady asked a very simple question, and your response was very pompous. Lighten up.

Actually, I made it abundantly clear I would not presume to make anyone's decision for them. I live in the real world, and recognize there are countless shades of gray. For example, a person who encounters dolphins in a dolphinarium may go on to be a great supporter of conservation efforts.

My point was to consider that there may be things to consider that the average customer is not aware of; and demonstrations/protests are becoming common at these facilities. I know if I signed up for a tour, and was confronted with that, I'd at least be curious.

Horses are domesticated and have been for all of human history. Dolphins are wildlife. Riding them does do them harm, as does keeping them captive.

And again, EVERY dolphinarium claims they are somehow the exception. There is no way for the customer to verify the claims of the background of their captive dolphins.

As you pointed out, I'm expressing my opinion. However, it's an "opinion" shared by every reputable wildlife and conservation organization (for example National Geographic: http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2014/04/08/debunking-captivity-3-reasons-not-to-keep-dolphins-in-a-tank/) Your opinion is shared by people who profit from captive dolphins.

I'm light enough thanks.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

PGSwan,

I see by your signature that you seem to frequent Carnival, so I can HIGHLY recommend their dolphin snorkel in Roatan. It is a bit pricey, but great for a once in a lifetime experience. You first walk into waist high water and are introduced to your dolphin. You can pet them, etc. You can also use your own camera here. Then you are allowed to go into the deeper area and snorkel freely with the dolphins. If you take some of the floating sea grass and wave it at them, they will come and take it from you like a friendly dog.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/mahogany-bay/dolphin-swim-and-snorkel-518061#

I too usually try to avoid these kinds of things, but the facility at Roatan is really great. This is a pic I took just by sticking my camera underwater and hoping for the best. :)

enhance

For example, a person who encounters dolphins in a dolphinarium may go on to be a great supporter of conservation efforts.

Well one of those people is me. When I was young I went to seaworld with my folks (didnt swim but liked the shows). When I had my son we took him to a dolphin encounter and swim in Orlando. We had a blast and he loved it. Since then as he wanted to learn more so we researched and we watched Blackfish and The Cove. I highly recommend both these films. I definitely regret taking part in those attractions now and I also have an 11 year old who has already trained to be a scuba diver and wants to become a marine biologist when he is older to save the whales and the dolphins. Yes dolphins may have been injured and died had they stayed in the wild and I applaud anyone that has an operation that helps them but they shouldn't then breed from them. I, like the poster I have taken this quote from, would never presume to say what someone should do on a holiday that they have perhaps saved forever for and dreamed of just because we feel a particular way but if I can humbly ask you to research where the animals do come from before visiting said attractions then you have the facts with which to make your own decisions. Trip Advisor are specifically working towards an educational element to this end. For more information on dolphins in captivity a good resource is https://dolphinproject.net.

• 1 month later...

Anthony's Key in Roatan was amazing, we met the dolphins and then we're allowed to freely snorkel with them for about a half hour. Throwing sea grass up for them and going down and blowing bubbles up and they would come bite at them. Amazing experience for myself playing with a six month old baby dolphin named Polly and her mother a lot of fun.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Forums mobile app