EU Referendum- Pay Now or Later

clarky213

With the EU referendum coming up, predictions are that the £ will drop to $1.20 if we vote out.

For those of us who use a US TA, Would you take the risk of waiting or would you pay for a future cruise now knowing that you can get the full refund up to final payment.

With todays rate at $1.45, I can save approx £375 by paying for my March 2017 cruise now against the forecast rate of $1,20. Add another £115 on to that saving if I pay for our 2 drinks packages now too.

What would you do?

With the EU referendum coming up, predictions are that the £ will drop to $1.20 if we vote out.

For those of us who use a US TA, Would you take the risk of waiting or would you pay for a future cruise now knowing that you can get the full refund up to final payment.

With todays rate at $1.45, I can save approx £375 by paying for my March 2017 cruise now against the forecast rate of $1,20. Add another £115 on to that saving if I pay for our 2 drinks packages now too.

What would you do?

It's all about your own personal risk tolerance. I would expect the pound to strengthen slightly if the vote Remain wins. Uncertainty isn't good for markets, so even though Remain would continue the status quo, it would end some current uncertainty.

I am personally waiting to pay off my next cruise until after the referendum because I strongly believe that Remain will win, and that currency will swing in the positive direction.

It's all about your own personal risk tolerance. I would expect the pound to strengthen slightly if the vote Remain wins. Uncertainty isn't good for markets, so even though Remain would continue the status quo, it would end some current uncertainty.

I am personally waiting to pay off my next cruise until after the referendum because I strongly believe that Remain will win, and that currency will swing in the positive direction.

There is also a presidential election in the USA, which depending on the result could affect the GBP/USD rate

• 4 weeks later...

Now what do you suggest about cruise prices? With England now out, how will that impact the British Isles travel and as an American, will it be better for us to wait until after our disastrous elections coming in November?

Edited by Santiago Sister

The UK is not yet out of the EU. Article 50 has to be triggered first.

I received the following email from my cruise line:

Following the result of the EU Referendum vote, I wanted to take a few moments of your time to reassure you that there are no resulting changes to any aspect of your upcoming holiday with Cunard, including check-in and immigration. These all remain the same as they were before last weeks vote.

Should there be any changes resulting from the United Kingdom leaving the European Union, we will naturally contact you with all and any related information.

For now it remains business as usual for us and we are looking forward to welcoming you on board.

I've no idea how the US election result will impact cruise prices.

Well, in the end didn't pay off my cruise and the pound has now dropped over 10%

The good news is I cancelled the cruise with my US TA and managed to Book the same Cruise through RCCI UK and upgrade to a JS and also get the Select Drinks package, for less than what I would have paid through the US TA for my Balcony Cabin & Drinks package. Plus I now know exactly what I will be paying.