Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau

cunnorl

We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer and would like to go to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. My daughter is a full time wheel chair user. Are any of the trails accessible for a manual wheelchair?

Many Thanks!

You can do most, if not all, of the trail out to Nugget Falls in a wheelchair (I wouldn't try it in a transport chair). The pathway is decomposed granite and well packed gravel. Might be an issue if is it raining.

You can also get a lift-equipped shuttle bus to get there on the pier for much cheaper than doing the ship's tours (which will probably not be accessible). In addition to the shuttle, there is a $3 admission fee per person to the visitor center, which is also accessible (look for signs for the elevator instead of the stairs used by most).

The Mt. Roberts cable car is also wheelchair accessible, although it is difficult to see out the windows in a chair. The view from the top is great, but these trails are not accessible.

• 3 weeks later...

I went last year and believe that Photo Point is the better trail for a manual wheelchair user in my humble opinion. The suggestion the visitors center gave of Trail of Time wasn't a good one. It is newly paved but with many inclines and wasn't feasible. It is also longer than Photo Point (0.7 miles vs 0.3 miles). I would stick with Photo Point. It's a short trail but you still get a great view at the end.

You can do most, if not all, of the trail out to Nugget Falls in a wheelchair (I wouldn't try it in a transport chair). The pathway is decomposed granite and well packed gravel. Might be an issue if is it raining.

You can also get a lift-equipped shuttle bus to get there on the pier for much cheaper than doing the ship's tours (which will probably not be accessible). In addition to the shuttle, there is a $3 admission fee per person to the visitor center, which is also accessible (look for signs for the elevator instead of the stairs used by most).

The Mt. Roberts cable car is also wheelchair accessible, although it is difficult to see out the windows in a chair. The view from the top is great, but these trails are not accessible.

What company has the shuttle with the lift? We are traveling with my MIL in a motorized wheelchair in September of 2015 & I'd love to get more information on how to get her to Mendenhall Glacier.

Thanks!