Malaria question

LiseD

Do any of you worry about Malaria if you are doing any of the jungle type tours? Was looking at the CDC website and it said visitors should consider taking anti Malaria meds but not sure I want to do that for just one day...would it be better just to spray like crazy with bug spray before these outings?

I have spent two family vacations in Belize. During both trips we spent half of the time in San Ignacio which is inland close to the Guatemalan boarder. During our time in Belize we spent a lot of time in the jungle/rainforest hiking, climbing through caves, canoeing and tubing through caves and climbing up ruins. Malaria was never a concern however I would recommend that you have a really good insect repellent with DEET. I'm talking about the strong stuff for camping not the mild stuff for the summer BBQ. The bugs can be intense in Belize especially along the rivers but if you are prepared for it it's not a big deal.

If you read that CDC website more carefully it probably says that the mosquitos that carry malaria only bite between dusk and dawn. You should have no problems with malaria during daylight hours. You should note, however, that mosquitos that transmit dengue fever will bite during daylight hours, but there are no anti-dengue medications. Best to just avoid bites.

If you read that CDC website more carefully it probably says that the mosquitos that carry malaria only bite between dusk and dawn. You should have no problems with malaria during daylight hours. You should note, however, that mosquitos that transmit dengue fever will bite during daylight hours, but there are no anti-dengue medications. Best to just avoid bites.

Exactly what I was going to say. I bought some repellent that was 100% DEET and didn't get any bites. Don't worry about the anti-malarials, but it's a good idea to protect yourself from bites, which even in the best case are still a nuisance.

And remember you cannot give blood for a year. Thanks for reminding me about the Deet. We are headed to Goff's Caye to snorkel, do you think we will need it out there? If not, I'm going to at least remind my friends who are doing the River Wallace Altun Ha tour.

Thanks for the info...bought my deet today and will not take any other meds...don't think we would be at enough risk to take any drugs. What about Hep A shots? Any of you had those? I read that on CDC also! We booked this cruise a week ago and leave in 2 days...so don't think I will have time to get those!! No worries...we will have a great time!

• 4 weeks later...
Malaria was never a concern however I would recommend that you have a really good insect repellent with DEET.

I would not say Malaria was never a concern. You might not have been concerned about it but that does not mean that you should not have been concerned about it. There is a HUGE difference.

Anyone travelling to endemic areas should visit a travel medicine clinic and discuss their travel plans. Then make an informed decision on the risks they wish to take. Just because someone on here was lucky enough not to get sick, does not mean you will have the same experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Im not sure what to think. Im taking my two sons, 12,13 next month and their Ped. (and travel clinic) strongly urged them getting a Hep A and typhoid shot as well as the Malaria pills. Im caught between "overkill" and guilt if they get sick, so they will most likely get them...

Im not sure what to think. Im taking my two sons, 12,13 next month and their Ped. (and travel clinic) strongly urged them getting a Hep A and typhoid shot as well as the Malaria pills. Im caught between "overkill" and guilt if they get sick, so they will most likely get them...

Does your doctor know that they will only be their during daylight hours and not staying overnight? There is a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

My pediatrician said to get Hep A and the anti-Malaria for Belize and Roatan I hate to give my kids the meds, but don't want to take risk of such an awful sickness. We arrive in Roatan at 7 eastern time in April so I believe that it is 5 am local time. I am not sure, maybe the answer is do Hep A and stay on the coast???? (with deet)

I've always taken anti-malarial prophylaxis and have never gotten ill. I'm sure many people who do not take precautions also have never gotten ill. Taking anti-malarial measures likely reduces a low probability of illness to an even lower probability of illness. Your doctor can probably best talk to you about what constitutes an acceptable risk.

As for the medications themselves, depending on the type it is either one pill weekly or one pill daily, starting a little before going, while there, and for a short while thereafter. I can't swallow, and I end up chewing the pill, and indeed it has a horrible taste. But nothing more than that. I would not get all worked up over having to take a pill for a limited time.

Archived