Kona snorkeling - top 3 snorkel sites and parking lot car safety?

mikeerdas

Will be staying four nights in Kona (Kohala Coast area) on an overland trip and wondering: what are your top 3 snorkeling sites on the Kona side of the island and why? Wondering if it's worth the trek down to the Captain Cook Monument area south of the town of Kona. Or if snorkel sites closer to our hotels (Hilton Waikoloa Village and Marriott Waikoloa Beach) are just as good. If they are not in the same ball park, what features do the southern-located snorkel sites have, specifically, that the northern / Kohala Coast ones (at least between the town of Kona and the Kohala Coast; or perhaps up beyond the Kohala Coast) do not?

We once snorkeled at a place recommended on CC in downtown Kona that we took a bus to from the cruise port--still the best snorkeling we've ever done (I saw sea turtles--wife did not; so getting her to snorkel with sea turtles is a goal). Would be wonderful to see dolphins--think the only place to do this may be while sea kayaking around the Captain Cook monument, far south of where our hotels are. Never found any place in the Caribbean, so far, on Eastern / Western cruise ship port itineraries, that had snorkeling as good as what we saw off the beach a short public bus drive away from the Kona cruise port. We rented gear on that beach but now have our own gear (not prescription lenses, but diopter ones that are Close Enough for us to really enjoy things, having poor vision and no contact lenses).

Since this is an overland trip we'll have a rental car. However, I still come across the paranoia in guidebooks and elsewhere about Hawaii and rental cars, e.g. leaving them completely unlocked to avoid "smash and grab" attempts. Of the top snorkel sites on the Kona side of the Big Island, are there any where this advice is well heeded? Or where it's completely ridiculous, e.g. so crowded that only a completely insane robber would break into a car in one of those lots.

We always take sensible precautions anywhere we rent and park cars--don't leave any obvious valuables in sight (not that we have any to hide other than wallets / purses or point-and-shoot cameras or cell phones). But would rather leave most of our stuff in a locked vehicle rather than schlep stuff to the beach--and then have to think about beachside theft. Since it's just me and my wife snorkeling and no one to watch our stuff as we do so.

That said, are there any snorkel sites around Kona that have lockers, and where you'd highly advise using lockers?

Edited by mikeerdas

Also wondering, at any of the Kona snorkel sites folks would recommend (and I mean drive-up ones; not where you have to pay for an excursion on a boat to get to the sites), can you just rent flippers only?

I ask because, although we have our own magnified masks, snorkels, and flippers, bringing flippers triggers us to have to check-in luggage. While we may be able to get away with carry-on only if we only bring masks and snorkels. We routinely travel with carry-ons only wherever in the world, and for however long, we travel. Huge fans of packing light.

We hate checking-in luggage due to cost, time (with carry on only, we're not stuck waiting at luggage carousels and get out to our rental car quickly), and general hassle--the lather, rinse, repeat cycle, especially if you're going to multiple islands. On this trip, we're also going to Maui--so more flights and hassle.

Wonder if purchasing fins locally once we arrive (7 nt trip--4 nts in Kona and 3 nights in West Maui, Wailea area) is also a good option? Especially since we'll have a rental. Get some at a Walmart (we don't have a Costco membership), then donate them when done with the trip?

What could we expect to pay for two pairs of adult flippers?

You can rent equipment at Snorkel Bob's on one island and return it to another.

We liked Honoakoape Bay and Makaiwa Bay the best for snorkelling. Honaunau Bay was also good. Waialea Bay is good in calm conditions ... it was too rough when we were there.

No lockers anywhere that I saw (not like at Hanauma Bay). We take absolute minimal possessions and put them in a bag with a towel over the top and lock it with a small cable lock to a tree trunk/root ... keeping the lock hidden. So far it's worked. If you go to Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau NP you can leave your car in the lot there while snorkelling at Honaunau Bay (a 5 minute walk) ... your possessions should be safe in the trunk in that parking lot.

Yep, that little beach in Kona is a fun place to snorkel! It's always the first place I go when I go back to the Big Island.

Out by your hotels, there is decent snorkeling out at the Mauna Kea Hotel. Actually also the rocks that are between the Mauna Kea and Hapuna Prince hotels yield good fish viewings. But, that little beach is where I've always found the best chance of turtle sightings on the Big Island.

I used to stay at the Mariott before it was a mariott. There was a little dive shop there - I actually bought a nice pair of fins there on sale. There are a few shops in the King's Shops there in Waikoloa that will rent also. A' Bay is decent for snorkeling, too. Get your bearings there and fan out to the other places...

Thanks Susan and Slidergirl!

You can rent equipment at Snorkel Bob's on one island and return it to another.

We liked Honoakoape Bay and Makaiwa Bay the best for snorkelling. Honaunau Bay was also good. Waialea Bay is good in calm conditions ... it was too rough when we were there.

No lockers anywhere that I saw (not like at Hanauma Bay). We take absolute minimal possessions and put them in a bag with a towel over the top and lock it with a small cable lock to a tree trunk/root ... keeping the lock hidden. So far it's worked. If you go to Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau NP you can leave your car in the lot there while snorkelling at Honaunau Bay (a 5 minute walk) ... your possessions should be safe in the trunk in that parking lot.

That little beach that you took the bus to is Kahalu'u Beach Park - still a great place with very safe parking, though it will get very crowded. Go as early in the morning as possible. Another place that's great is "Two Steps", further south, right next to Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park. Parking is OK at Two Steps and the 2 spots together would make a great way to spend a day. The dire warnings about parking are usually referring to some of the less public snorkel spots where parking is nothing more than a spot to pull off the highway onto a patch of crushed lava rock (and often involve a substantial hike over more lava to get to the beach!), or some of the more remote county parks where the locals can get quite territorial.

Edited by Kartgv

Another place that's great is "Two Steps", further south, right next to Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park.

Mike - Honaunau Bay and 'Two Steps' are one and the same ... just thought I'd mention this as I had talked about Honaunau above and in another post ... and it can be confusing when places are referred to by different names ... but that's typical with Hawaiian places. Another name that you'll see it called is "City of Refuge" which refers to the park ... but also used when referring to the bay.

Mike - Honaunau Bay and 'Two Steps' are one and the same ... just thought I'd mention this as I had talked about Honaunau above and in another post ... and it can be confusing when places are referred to by different names ... but that's typical with Hawaiian places. Another name that you'll see it called is "City of Refuge" which refers to the park ... but also used when referring to the bay.

Thanks Susan for clarifying. That absolutely helped, since I'm definitely confused by Hawaiian names. :-)

That little beach that you took the bus to is Kahalu'u Beach Park - still a great place with very safe parking, though it will get very crowded. Go as early in the morning as possible. Another place that's great is "Two Steps", further south, right next to Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park. Parking is OK at Two Steps and the 2 spots together would make a great way to spend a day. The dire warnings about parking are usually referring to some of the less public snorkel spots where parking is nothing more than a spot to pull off the highway onto a patch of crushed lava rock (and often involve a substantial hike over more lava to get to the beach!), or some of the more remote county parks where the locals can get quite territorial.

We visited the beach park in April and the snorkeling was amazing. The reef is literally inches off the shore. There was an outdoor shower and decent bathrooms, a lifeguard, and surfing lessons to one side. I also found some pretty beach glass there. The shave ice truck was serving delicious flavors. Did not seem overly crowded; we were there on a Monday from around 11 to 3, lots of parking right there next to the beach. What amazed me most was how many fish were so close to shore. You basically step in the water and float around immediately snapping your underwater pictures:-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

We visited the beach park in April and the snorkeling was amazing. The reef is literally inches off the shore. There was an outdoor shower and decent bathrooms, a lifeguard, and surfing lessons to one side. I also found some pretty beach glass there. The shave ice truck was serving delicious flavors. Did not seem overly crowded; we were there on a Monday from around 11 to 3, lots of parking right there next to the beach. What amazed me most was how many fish were so close to shore. You basically step in the water and float around immediately snapping your underwater pictures:-)

Sounds great, thanks Cruise Life!

Even though you can and often do snorkel or dive the same reefs and waters at both places Two Steps and Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park which is also known as Place of Refuge they are two different places located on either side of Keoneele Cove.

Google map of the area - https://www.google.com/maps/@19.4221654,-155.9111308,337m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Here is the link to Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park which has tons of good information about the park like directions, fees and the park itself. http://www.nps.gov/puho/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

Two Steps is just south of the National Park and is free to park and enjoy (very limited parking and just a few picnic tables but a very safe area). For either place you go south on Hwy 160 to Honaunau Beach Rd but for Two Steps you take a right on Ke Ala O Keawe and look for a parking place near the small boat ramp. The most often used ocean entry (that the place is named after) is just northwest of the boat ramp and there are almost always turtles feeding very near the entry. Two Steps is a small quaint little spot not overly developed on the North side of Keoneele Cove.

Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park or "Place of Refuge" is on the South side of Keoneele Cove on Honaunau Beach Rd where you pay a minimal charge to enter the Park and enjoy easier and better parking plus very clean facilities. With a short swim from either side of Keoneele Cove you can dive or snorkel the same spot.

I've been to both places many times and like different things about them. There are almost always green sea turtles near either location and sometimes Spinner Dolphins.

Since diving is a key part of my holiday I bring all my own gear but you can check with the many thrift shops on The Island for snorkel gear including used fins then donate them back when you are done.

For other dive / snorkel spots you can check out the reviews on Shore Diving dot com http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/index.htm and for all the islands try http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm

Diverearl ... I think you've made it more complicated than it needs to be.:)

Did you mean to type 'north' instead of 'south' in the following?

Two Steps is just south of the National Park and is free to park and enjoy (very limited parking and just a few picnic tables but a very safe area).

Since the topic was snorkelling, in my post above I mentioned that it was the snorkelling area that is referred to as 'two steps', and 'Honaunau Bay' and 'Place of Refuge'. Those names are often used interchangeably for the same snorkelling area (north of the park) ... e.g. this site and this one.

Diverearl ... I think you've made it more complicated than it needs to be.:)

Did you mean to type 'north' instead of 'south' in the following?

I stand corrected Two Steps is North of Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park or "Place of Refuge"

Since the topic was snorkelling, in my post above I mentioned that it was the snorkelling area that is referred to as 'two steps', and 'Honaunau Bay' and 'Place of Refuge'. Those names are often used interchangeably for the same snorkelling area (north of the park) ... e.g. this site and this one.

Two Steps and the "Place of Refuge" are two different spots that share a reef in a small well protected cove. You have to pay to get to the "Place of Refuge" which is a very defined sight. If a defeated warrior or law breaker had stopped at Two Steps he would have still been fair game to be killed by the other warriors or pursuers yet if he made it inside the wall of the sacred structure at Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau he could not be sought after any longer - a huge difference.

Kartgv was right they are two different spots one is free the other has a small fee - another big difference to some.

Edited by diverearl

Two Steps and the "Place of Refuge" are two different spots that share a reef in a small well protected cove. You have to pay to get to the "Place of Refuge" which is a very defined sight.

Yes, I know that Two Step (Honaunau Bay) and Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau NP (aka "City of Refuge") are two separate places ... we paid to go into the park to see it, and afterwards left our car there and walked 5 minutes north outside of the park to snorkel at Honaunau Bay (two steps).

But what I said in my post above pertains to snorkelling ... not the park. It is not uncommon for people to say, "I'm going snorkelling at the City of Refuge - or Two Step - or Honaunau Bay. All of those names are used interchangeably for the exact same snorkelling spot. While "City of Refuge" is more commonly used to refer to the park, it's also used to refer to snorkelling outside of the park. You can't snorkel from the park. If someone says "My favorite snorkelling spot is "City of Refuge" (as per this link) they mean "Honaunau Bay" aka "Two Step.

Edited by Susan-M
  • Thanks 1

So for driving to Kahalu'u Beach Park, is the parking free? Or would we park at the King K hotel and walk there? Might be fun to revisit since I had such a great snorkeling experience there. I saw turtles, wife did not.

Bus to Kahaluu Beach Park - is it easy to find the bus at the port? This looks like a great spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are cabs right there and you can ask about the buses. I saw there was a public bus stop right behind

Sorry had a phone call...there was a public bus stop behind me next to the life guard hut. Over by where the cab dropped us off I also noticed a Shuttle bus pulled in there as well, not sure where it came from. The cab cost less than 20 dollars and our drivers talked to us the whole time explaining buildings etc. There were private cars on both sides of the street parked, also.

Parking at Kahalu'u is free - there are even some spots in the shade if you get lucky. The shuttle bus is very easy to find - colorfully painted, currently called the Kona Trolley. It stops right at the end of the pier. There will probably be "Greeter" volunteers on the pier who will be happy to answer any questions you have. They should know the schedule and when to expect the next bus. No, you can't walk there from the King Kam hotel - unless you're happy with a 4 1/2 - 5 mile hike each way.

Edited by Kartgv