Capri from Naples, book in advance?

TwinMom123

I am cruising on the NCL Epic next week and we are planning to head to Capri from Naples. The cruise offers a hydrofoil for $109 per adult and $89 per child. It leaves at 8:45AM and is an 8.5 hour excursion which leads me to believe that we won't have the option to come back early.

If we did not book through the ship, is it possible to get off in Naples and get to Capri and back pretty easily?

Has anyone booked through the ship and been able to head back to the boat earlier than the 8.5 hours scheduled to be "on your own"?

TIA!

I am cruising on the NCL Epic next week and we are planning to head to Capri from Naples. The cruise offers a hydrofoil for $109 per adult and $89 per child. It leaves at 8:45AM and is an 8.5 hour excursion which leads me to believe that we won't have the option to come back early.

If we did not book through the ship, is it possible to get off in Naples and get to Capri and back pretty easily?

Has anyone booked through the ship and been able to head back to the boat earlier than the 8.5 hours scheduled to be "on your own"?

TIA!

OMG, do not pay the price for this. The area from which the hydrofoils and ferries leave is right next to where the cruise ships dock. (It's a large port, so depending on where you dock you may have more or less minutes to walk, but it is only minutes.)

I just checked online and the cost for the hydrofoil tickets one way is about 20 euro. So 40 euro each for the roundtrip, and you can return when you like. You would be paying less for the two of you than for one ticket from NCL.

One tip though: I'd try to figure out when you want to return to the ship and go ahead and buy those return tickets when you arrive at Capri. Sometimes the popular times for returns can sell out later in the day if you wait...

Edited by cruisemom42

OMG, do not pay the price for this. The area from which the hydrofoils and ferries leave is right next to where the cruise ships dock. (It's a large port, so depending on where you dock you may have more or less minutes to walk, but it is only minutes.)

I just checked online and the cost for the hydrofoil tickets one way is about 20 euro. So 40 euro each for the roundtrip, and you can return when you like. You would be paying less for the two of you than for one ticket from NCL.

One tip though: I'd try to figure out when you want to return to the ship and go ahead and buy those return tickets when you arrive at Capri. Sometimes the popular times for returns can sell out later in the day if you wait...

Thank you!! I appreciate that so much! We are traveling with children so I don't want to be stuck somewhere waiting on a ride back to Naples with hours to go! I knew there had to be an easier way. Much appreciated advice. Thank you!

We ,too are visiting Naples on a cruise in October. Do you catch the ferry/hydrofoil to Sorrento from the same ticket office? Are the hydrofoils running as frequently in October or would we be better going by train? If so, how far is the rail station from the port?

We ,too are visiting Naples on a cruise in October. Do you catch the ferry/hydrofoil to Sorrento from the same ticket office? Are the hydrofoils running as frequently in October or would we be better going by train? If so, how far is the rail station from the port?

Yes, the ferries for Sorrento also leave from the same place (Molo Beverello). I don't know if they run as frequently in October, I suspect they may be somewhat less frequent.

The ferry takes about 30 minutes and the local train (Circumvesuviana) takes twice that. Also getting to the train station will take another half hour, more or less. Unless there's a long gap between ferries, it's probably just as fast and certainly easier and more pleasant, to take the ferry.

Directions for getting to the train station: Take the #1 tram that runs along the major road just in front of the port. You can buy a ticket at the little kiosk just next to where the tram stops. (Which is the end of the line, by the way, so you don't have to worry about going in the wrong direction...). Stay on the tram as it follows along the road. You will get off in front of the Porta Nolana train station, which is the first stop after the tram makes a big left train heading away from the waterfront.

Directions for getting to the train station: Take the #1 tram that runs along the major road just in front of the port. You can buy a ticket at the little kiosk just next to where the tram stops. (Which is the end of the line, by the way, so you don't have to worry about going in the wrong direction...). Stay on the tram as it follows along the road. You will get off in front of the Porta Nolana train station, which is the first stop after the tram makes a big left train heading away from the waterfront.

Sorry, should read "a big left TURN"!