Vancouver Hotels

Elk5

My wife and I are taking our first Alaska cruise in Sep on the Coral Princess (10 Sep departure from Whittier). We plan to spend an extra day in Vancouver when we dock there and are looking for any suggestions on a nice place to stay and sights to see. Appreciate any feedback.

Steve

Check Priceline.com for 4 star hotels. We got the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver for $77.00 for one night for the end of July. Others have posted about getting good deals through Priceline also. This was the first time we had used Priceline, and I was a little nervous about it, but it worked out great for us! Good luck! :D

We are sailing on the Serenade on Sept 11th and staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre, a 4* hotel that we got for $78 on priceline. It was also the first time I used priceline and wasn't sure how it all worked. Someone on CC recommended http://www.betterbidding.com for help with priceline. They are alot of help with learning the ins and outs of bidding on priceline.

Guest enjoycruises

We were on the Serenade sailing of 6/12-6/19/05 and stayed at the Hampton Inn on Robson. It was a nice location with great people working there. They offer free breakfast and free transportation to the pier and general downtown area. We would stay there again.

We were on the Serenade sailing of 6/12-6/19/05 and stayed at the Hampton Inn on Robson. It was a nice location with great people working there. They offer free breakfast and free transportation to the pier and general downtown area. We would stay there again.

We've stayed at Hampton Inn on Robson for two trips, including last September, using their free shuttle to pier (4-5 blocks away). It was remodeled a few years ago and we had nice rooms. Food at restaurant on top was surprisingly good.

Best short sight-seeing we have done there is Queen Elizabeth Park - about a 25-min cab ride from hotel or tour bus trip there. Allow 2-3 hours to meander among many acres of excellent botanical garden - great picture opp. Yaletown is 4 blocks away and you can get a HI shuttle dropoff - its an entertainment/boutiques area for late afternoon, early evening leisure. We always add at least a day extra for YVR touring.

All of our downtown hotels charge for guest parking - usually quite a high fee ($7 and up per day at the Hyatt I recently paid $24.)

You would have to stay out in a motel in the suburbs and then your taxi fare to the dock would be more than the cost of long term parking at the cruise ship long term lot.

If you dock at Canada Place you cannot find a better location. You disembark, clear customs and immigration, and get on an elevator to the hotel! A beautiful hotel with great food and service and tremendous views. As for sightseeing, the tours stop at the door.

Highly recommended!

Just got back from our cruise. We stayed at the Pan Pacific for one night pre-cruise, it was absolutely beautiful, Would stay there again every time in Vancouver. Agree with all comments from previous post and was not charged any parking fee as we did not have a car. I asked airport employee what was best option to get to hotel, she gave us 3 choices, shuttle at $12 per person, taxi at $29 but they charge you based on time and if there is heavy traffic which there was, it may cost just as much as a private limo. We opted for the private limo at a cost of $39 (canadian, for car not per person, could have had anywhere from 1 - 8 people in it for the $39 fee)

We got the Pan Pacific on Hotwire for $136 for the night of August 28.

Edited to add: I just checked Hotwire for the night of 9/17 (your night?) and see that it's not being offered. They have Sutton Place as the 5* for $212, not a very good deal. Sorry.

We stayed at the Landis on Hornby St. Two bedroom, two bath, I wanted the extra room b4 the cruise! Lovely hotel, walking distance to water taxi and Granville Island, the beach path, and the trolley stop is 1/2 block away. Didn't have a car but they do have a free shuttle to Canada Place and Ballentyne(sp) pier.

Sue

zachandlucy, how do you find out what hotel is available on hotwire(I've never used it or priceline) without paying for it first? I would love to be able to get the Pan Pacific on Aug. 16th! Thanks

Go to the "pinned" hotel list at www.betterbidding.com, here: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?act=ST&f=294&t=92&

Make sure you check all of the way to the bottom because the Vancouver hotels are listed twice. Check the amenity list hotwire is offering against those listed in betterbidding. Pan Pacific is in the downtown west region on Hotwire. I just checked for 8/16 for you and right now, the 5* being offered in downtown west is Sutton Place for $201. The only difference in the amenities between Sutton Place and Pan Pacific is Sutton Place offers "golf nearby." Now, I was vigilant in my search for the Pan, checked a couple of times a day for several weeks until it just showed up one day. Good luck to you.

There is no guarantee that what you think you have is correct. I held my breath after I paid for the room to see what I got!

We stayed at the Hyatt in May for $80 a night thanks to Priceline. We got a king sized bed with a balcony! The staff is fantastic and pointed us to a great Chineese Bistro for dinner.

--

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Thanks for all the great info on finding hotels in Vancouver. Sorry I'm slow in responding and letting everyone know I was indeed reading your posts. I'm sort of slow getting going but after reading everyone's advice we tried Hotwire today.

We ended up with a room in the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre (listed as 4-star on Hotwire, shows 3 on Orbitz) downtown on 1088 Burrard St for $85 a night. Don't know how we can't be satisfied with that. We will be staying there at the completion of our southbound Coral Princess cruise that leaves Whittier on 10 Sep and arrives Vancouver 17 Sep.

Just thought I would pass this info along in case someone else might still be looking for a room. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Steve in VA

We're staying pre & post cruise (7-22-05) at the Fairmont Waterfront. It's located across from the Canada Place and the Bell Captain's will transport your suitcases across to the pier for you.

Count down time :)

:rolleyes: Is the Ramada Inn on Granville OK for a 2 night pre-cruise stay? I emailed the manager and he responded that he's put us in a very quit room well away from street noise, etc. Any thoughts?

We stayed at the Ramada Inn on West Pender (different than above) and if I were to do it again, I'd try Priceline and get something better. Hotel was fine, but neighborhood was dicey, and for the money, sounds like the Priceline folks get the better deal.

We stayed at the Blue Horizon on Robson Street. Reasonably priced hotel, great location, always lots of cabs out front. Request a room higher up and the street noise shouldn't be a bother. We stayed there on a Saturday and slept with our patio door open and didn't hear a thing. I would totally stay there again.

Archived