Renting a jeep/ dune buggy...now what?

stacied68

My husband and I are planning to rent a jeep or dune buggy and explore the island. Question now is what should we go see? I would love to see ruins. He would love to go to a beach. Any suggestions on hitting the high points?

TIA

You're docking at Puerta Maya. I assume you're picking up the jeep there.

So head south (right out of the port parking lot)to Punta Sur and stop at the eco-park and lighthouse (separate charge to enter the park). On the way out, if you're looking for a little beach time but no water activities, stop at Paradise Café (Bob Marley/ Rasta Bar). Great beach, great food, good drinks. The travel straight up the east side and see the rugged coast. When you reach the end of the road and can only go to your left, that's the Transversal Road. You can follow that tot he San Gervasio ruins and to the Tequila Factory. Then continue along into downtown San Miguel for shopping or just driving through to the ocean front. Turn left and head back to Puerta Maya.

The rental outfit should provide a good map. But it's not difficult to drive around. Do have a "designated driver" as if you have any traffic infractions and the local police notice alcohol, you'll be in big trouble. And do take the full insurance package for your rental. Any accident, even if you are not at fault could be your worst cruise nightmare. With those precautions, do go and have a great time touring the island. It's a really nice place that most cruisers fail to get a full appreciation.:)

I agree mostly with all that crew suggested. As much as I like Paradise Cafe/Rasta's (aka Bob Marley) for a stop and a drink, I like the beach at the other end of the east coast road much better (Punta Morena). Probably more touristy in some ways than Rasta's but easy to just ignore all that if you want to and find your own spot on the beach, or cool off in the very small pool. Several other beach bars along this road and photo stops, El Mirador and blowholes. In town another location to check out is the chocolate factory.

Edited by c-leg5