Recommend Epic or Getaway for our Family?

Island_Chica

Hi everyone. Prior cruises include three on Royal Caribbean (Freedom and Indy of the Seas in 2013 and 2014, respectively) and a southern Caribbean on Celebrity back in 2011. We are bringing our boys, ages 3 and 5, with us on a cruise we've decided to book for February. I've looked at NCL a number of times, but we had to wait until our youngest was 3 to go. We prefer to be casual on vacation (always do the buffet on formal nights) and the FreeStyle concept is almost a necessity for us with two kids who hate sitting still for long formal dinners. We are excited to try something new.

At any rate, we're looking at these two ships. I've been to all the ports on both itineraries. I prefer the Eastern ports but price is a consideration this year. Epic is running about $500 less (we could use that to pay for our flight costs instead of driving, saving us a 10 hour haul in the car). Is Getaway *that* much better, or will we be happy on Epic? Both have great entertainment, though I wonder if Epic is better suited to our kids with Blue Man Group - they love drums.

How is NCL's tendering process in Grand Cayman? That's the thing I do dislike about that itinerary, what a pain that is. Plus, the views aren't as wonderful when pulling in to Cozumel and GC as when porting at St. Thomas and St. Maarten. However, GC and Cozumel are infinitely easier to navigate. Fortunate to have such problems, right?!

Any advice or input appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Island_Chica

Out of the two I would pick Epic again, especially for the kids. They will love BMG and there is a ton of other kid friendly things to do. Getaway has lots to do also. No bad choice between either actually but my choice would be Epic for itinerary and the fact that she's headed to Europe. You can always try Getaway later on. :D