flying out of Montreal

esimon

anything after 12 noon should be fine

You will clear US customs & immigration at YUL

so leave time for that

I seem to recall it is about 1 hr to airport maybe less depending on traffic

Edited by LHT28

We are staying over a night after our cruise, but have a 6:45am flight out the next day. How much time should we allow at the airport to check in, go thru security and customs/immigrations?

Thanks

I would plan on 2+ hrs

What time does your airline suggest?

http://www.admtl.com/en/guide/personal-guide%3Fbase-course%3Ddeparture-international

Edited by LHT28

Thanks for the link, looks like we will be getting up VERY early! Need to be there about 3 hours before departure.

Don't do it - every Canadian airport with US preclearance suffers from the same issue, that CBP staff are lazier than CBSA and CATSA;-) You can arrive three hours early and get through Security no problem, but then you'll just end up standing in a queue until at least 4:30am when the CBP crew officially start work. Often there's a start-of-shift-meeting that further delays actual processing by 10mins or so too.

For all really early flights with preclearance, turn up NO EARLIER than when CBP opens; ~5:15am is my preferred timeslot but then I have NEXUS which guarantees me a quick trip through Security; if you don't have that or Global Entry you may want to show up more like 4:45am.

If you show up at ~4:45-5:15am to drop your bags and do Security, it gives CBP time to clear all the folks who did not think to come ask people on travel forums for advice and clog the post-security-pre-CBP area. All these folks have also already done bag drop, manual check-in etc. so even queues pre-Security will be shorter. In other words, getting an extra hour of sleep makes your travel more pleasant because you are both more rested and spend less time hanging around at the airport before you board!