Newcastle-upon-Tyne: from port to airport... and via LHR to Southampton to catch QM2

Hello,

we are on BOUDICCA and will arrive 6.30 am in port.

I want to use the unique occassion to "misuse" QUEEN MARY 2 as "ferry" connection to Hamburg from Southampton.

If I am leaving 7.30 am from the port:

can I be until 8.00 am at the airport to catch the BA-flight at 9.10 am for LHR and then with a car rental right on time in Southampton for check-in on my "ferry" to Hamburg...

(as DFDS has cancelled the Harwich - Hamburg service... I thought it might be a good idea to "misuse" QUEEN MARY 2 as my special ferry service).

Regards,

HeinBloed

Have you checked all the direct flights to Southampton?

Flybe are too early or too late but Eastern have one if you are on the right day Mon-Fri

7:45-8:55

12:00-13:10

http://www.easternairways.com/en/newcastle/newcastle.html

Thanks,

but 07.45 hrs with 06.30 hrs in port is somehow unreaslistic.

And arrival 13.10 hrs is for my taste too risky in case of delay for same day departure from Southampton.

Finally: if i know by 08.00 hrs that my 09.10 hrs is cancelled I still have a chance to use the train to London or to hire a car and drive by myself.

But at 11.00 hrs to know that my 12.00 hrs might be cancelled is too risky for me.

Since my first and last experience with Easy Jet I prefer to fly with airlines with a good network who takes responsibility for their customers and not just refund the money and tell you: take care of yourself.

And Eastern Airways was not very cheap but BA took only 22 GBP for the single flight to London.

This is already checked.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed,

If I were you I would ask the taxi company how long it will take you to go from the dock to the airport...here is their link.

bookings@airport-taxis.co.uk

Once you get to Heathrow allow at least 45mins to an hour to get your rental car. The rental companies are located off on the Perimeter Road and you will have to take a shuttle there from the terminal. If by chance you are using Hertz I can tell you that the last several times I have rented from them at LHR they have been out of cars and there has been a wait. And this was not high season either!

From the Northern Perimeter Road head to the M25. Don't bother with the M4 exit from the airport. Go south on the M25 for about 5 minutes and you will see the signs to the M3 which will take you right to Southampton. I would estimate your journey time to be around 90 minutes, depending on traffic. (Traffic is often awful on the M25, but much better on the M3 once you get to it!!)

Sounds like a nice ferry ride you have set yourself up with!!

From the Northern Perimeter Road head to the M25. Don't bother with the M4 exit from the airport. Go south on the M25 for about 5 minutes and you will see the signs to the M3 which will take you right to Southampton. I would estimate your journey time to be around 90 minutes, depending on traffic. (Traffic is often awful on the M25, but much better on the M3 once you get to it!!)

Sounds like a nice ferry ride you have set yourself up with!!

Merci vielmals!!!

I love this forum for such kind of tipps...

Salü

HeinBloed

Archived