Mediterranean Sea Life

If you are sailing into Gibralter, make sure you are up and at the rail very early as there is a strong possibility you will see dolphins. We saw literally hundreds alongside the ship (Independence) on the sail in a couple of years ago, including adults with babies. It was a specatcular sight and one I will never forget, I feel so lucky we saw them.

On a previous Med cruise, some people saw whales (we didn't unfortunately) and you will definitely see lots of sea birds - we saw gannets off the coast of Portugal and terns ducking and diving whilst in port in Civitavecchia.

Happy wildlife spotting!

We were on a Seabourn cruise a few years ago in the Med, and that ship can lower the aft section to have a sort of dock area. They have a caged in part where you could swim---good thing because there were dozens of huge jelly fish in the area. Scary, but beautiful.

Lots and lots of seabirds, more off the coast of Portugal, Spain and Morroco but plenty everywhere. Lots of sealife in the form of fish and an absolute ton of jellies in most places (beaches and swimming areas usually made safe with netting so don't worry about that). Seals and Turtles only really off the coast of Turkey I think. Dolphins and whales - maybe if lucky from the cruise ship! Most ports also have some sort of sealife trip and small boats have very good chances of whales/dolphins due to using local fishing boats as spotters throughout the day. Use a glass bottom boat and you also have chance of stingrays, octopus, lobster and maybe even sharks.

If you have an itinerary I could help a bit more detail, am a big nature enthusiast and bird watcher :)

Don't know if you will be going through the Straits of Messina (between Sicily and the Italian mainland) but we ALWAYS see dolphins (lots of them) surfing the bow wake and other wakes. They love doing it. Have also seen lots of flying fish and they are lots of fun to watch….