Underwater camera

I bought a SVP Aqua WP5300 a couple years ago for about $35 online. Takes Micro SD card and AAA batteries. I've used it on cruises and tubing trips with no issues and photos are pretty good.

Amazon has quite a few different price ranges you can check out. Just look-up waterproof camera on Amazon. There are also some casings that are waterproof that may already fit your camera (if you have one) and that may be the way to go if you know you like your camera pictures already. I'll be testing my sons Samsung Galaxy S4 Active this December. Hoping the underwater pictures are as nice as the regular S4 or close.

Just saw you put under $300. For that price range you can get video/camera/underwater.

$168 - decent reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-XP60-2-7-Inch-Blue/product-reviews/B00ATM1NBO/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

$177 - pretty good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-820-Freeze-Proof-Camera-Red-V104060RU000/dp/B007J7J120/ref=pd_cp_p_2

My friend has the Nikon coolpix s30 and is very happy with it for underwater use. It's also has video and Amazon has it for $99. I'm going to buy it to use for excursions on water and for the beach. I have my Nikon DSLR's for everything else.

I have a Canon D10 which I LOVE. But they don't make it anymore. They make the Canon D20 which is on amazon for $295.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Waterproof-Stabilized-Wide-Angle/dp/B0075SUKIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840726&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+d10

Waterproof to 33 feet, temperature resistant from 14-104 degrees Fahrenheit and shockproof up to 5 feet

12.1 effective megapixel, 1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS sensor

3-inch TFT PureColor system LCD

Full 1080p HD video with dedicated movie button

28mm wide-angle lens (5x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom and 20x combined zoom) with optical image stabilizer

Waterproof to 33 feet, temperature from 14-104 degrees fahrenheit

12.1 MP Canon HS SYSTEM with a High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor, DIGIC 4 Image Processor

5x Optical Zoom with 28mm wide angle lens

3.0-inch Pure Color System LCD for easy viewing

GPS tracker to record image locations on a map via Canon's software (does not work under water)

I guess it just depends on how many bells and whistles you want.

The Nikon AW100 has very fast start up and almost no shutter lag without the flash. Battery life is rated at 250 shots per charge, but my experience is more like over 500. All in all, I like it better than waterproof cameras that I've had from Olympus, in the past. At less than $300 I think you won't be disappointed.

Being a 1st time cruiser I had the same question! I found the Fuji Film XP60 on sale and did some research. There were many great reviews, including photos. I picked mine up at Best Buy for $149.99 which is also the price at KMart and of course WalMart will price match. I didn't want to take the chance on something from Ebay or Amazon with the shipping. I was too close to time to go!

So far it appears to be everything I read it was. Couple of negatives: It does take a special battery so if you want an extra you will need to purchase one. Also, it only comes in blue! Some other info: Freeze proof, shock proof, dust proof and water proof.

Happy shopping and good luck!

I got an underwater camera 3 years ago for a cruise and I went with this...

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-Z33WP-Digital-Green/dp/B001QENO6Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It takes great pictures out of the water too. the reviews on amazon are also pretty good ones.

I just came back from a trip to Italy and used it as my main camera most of the time because of how clear the photos were. I definitely recommend this one!

You can get a refurbished Nikon AW100 for $180 - that is, if you don't mind refurbished.

http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-Coolpix-AW100-Shock-Waterproof-GPS-Digital-Camera-Orange-Factory-Refurbished-65588.cfm

I have an Olympus 8010, which is the predecessor to the TG-810, etc. It works OK, but the annoying thing about it is the little metal door that goes over the lens.

This door goes over the lens whenever power is turned off to protect it, however, it traps water behind it, which when it dries, leaves water spots.

The only way to fix this is to remove the battery when the camera power is on, which leaves the door open - let the camera dry, then clean the lens - then put the battery back in and close the door.

I think the newer versions may no longer use the door, but it is a real pain otherwise.

You can get a refurbished Nikon AW100 for $180 - that is, if you don't mind refurbished.

http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-Coolpix-AW100-Shock-Waterproof-GPS-Digital-Camera-Orange-Factory-Refurbished-65588.cfm

I have an Olympus 8010, which is the predecessor to the TG-810, etc. It works OK, but the annoying thing about it is the little metal door that goes over the lens.

This door goes over the lens whenever power is turned off to protect it, however, it traps water behind it, which when it dries, leaves water spots.

The only way to fix this is to remove the battery when the camera power is on, which leaves the door open - let the camera dry, then clean the lens - then put the battery back in and close the door.

I think the newer versions may no longer use the door, but it is a real pain otherwise.

I've had very good service from Nikon refurbs. They look absolutely brand new, no sign of ever having been used, and have had years of trouble free service from several that I've gotten over the years.

We bought the Sony DSC TX-10 a couple years ago to use for snorkeling. We loved it, it took great pictures and video in and out of the water. We ended up leaving the SLR behind and using it for all the pictures in and out of the water. I just replaced it with a SONY DSC TX-20 model because the case got cracked on a resent trip to Disneyland with the kids. Apparently, you shouldn't leave it in you shorts pocket and ride a roller coaster repeatedly. It still takes great pictures I just didn't want to risk it leaking on an upcoming cruise.

I have a Canon D10 which I LOVE. But they don't make it anymore. They make the Canon D20 which is on amazon for $295.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Waterproof-Stabilized-Wide-Angle/dp/B0075SUKIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840726&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+d10

Waterproof to 33 feet, temperature resistant from 14-104 degrees Fahrenheit and shockproof up to 5 feet

12.1 effective megapixel, 1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS sensor

3-inch TFT PureColor system LCD

Full 1080p HD video with dedicated movie button

28mm wide-angle lens (5x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom and 20x combined zoom) with optical image stabilizer

Waterproof to 33 feet, temperature from 14-104 degrees fahrenheit

12.1 MP Canon HS SYSTEM with a High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor, DIGIC 4 Image Processor

5x Optical Zoom with 28mm wide angle lens

3.0-inch Pure Color System LCD for easy viewing

GPS tracker to record image locations on a map via Canon's software (does not work under water)

I guess it just depends on how many bells and whistles you want.

We've got both the Canon D10 and the D20, and we love them both. The D20 is a little less bulky and takes absolutely BEAUTIFUL underwater pictures. Color correction can be set to underwater and removes that blue-cast that underwater photos can have. GPS tends to run the battery down a bit quicker than I would like, but it's a very cool feature if you don't tend to be the kind of person that remembers where they took the picture.

As always, taking photos under water requires you to hold steady which can sometimes be difficult with the current and buoyancy...

Archived