FYI: if needing accidental death coverage

manmtnmike

Hi,

Just bought travel ins (always do- and needed it 4xs!!)

I use insuremy tripdot com, an they have their own newly developed plan for

accidental death coverage.

It's very inexpensive and as an add-on. The cost $14.50 for $100,000 coverage.

BTW: I use Nationwide Essential-- $72 for 7 day cruise up-- to $2000 total trip cost.

They're great on the phone and explain things quite well.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Death insurance is an interesting product. A wise person (my long departed father) who was on the Board of Directors of a life insurance company once gave me an interesting piece of advice. It was something along these lines. If you need life insurance for various reasons (like protecting your family) you need to have it in force all the time. Insuring your life against accidents really makes little sense since the odds are a lot greater that you will die from a non-accident cause. The point is that if you feel that you should have extra life insurance while on a trip, why do you not think you need it when you are home?

Perhaps the question to ask is why do you need life insurance for accidental death, but not need the same insurance for a natural death (much more likely then an accidental death)?

Hank

Death insurance is an interesting product. A wise person (my long departed father) who was on the Board of Directors of a life insurance company once gave me an interesting piece of advice. It was something along these lines. If you need life insurance for various reasons (like protecting your family) you need to have it in force all the time. Insuring your life against accidents really makes little sense since the odds are a lot greater that you will die from a non-accident cause. The point is that if you feel that you should have extra life insurance while on a trip, why do you not think you need it when you are home?

Perhaps the question to ask is why do you need life insurance for accidental death, but not need the same insurance for a natural death (much more likely then an accidental death)?

Hank

And an "accidental death" is probably far more likely from something like an auto accident "at home" than something happening when you are on vacation for just a few days.

Well, this assumes that you are not going on an especially high risk trip. And it that case, best to read the fine print, as there may be some exclusions for things like parachute jumps or whatever - or maybe not. I won't be needing coverage for such activities, so I've never looked into it!

It is a very good point: If $100k is needed to help after you are gone, why would it matter that "it happened" on a vacation.

(Regular travel insurance will ordinarily cover costs for remains, etc., if that is a concern.)

GeezerCouple

• 2 weeks later...

I never bother to add the AD&D coverage to travel insurance plans. Like Hlitner indicates, if one needs it they should have coverage at all times. Not just while on a trip. It is just huge money maker up-sell add on for the travel insurance companies, so they sell it.

We end up purchasing AD&D coverage through our employer and it costs only a couple dollars a month and provides more than the $100,000 that the travel insurance would cover. We also have group life insurance through work, but should probably have term insurance as the group coverage would cease if ever leaving the job.

Hi,

Just bought travel ins (always do- and needed it 4xs!!)

I use insuremy tripdot com, an they have their own newly developed plan for

accidental death coverage.

It's very inexpensive and as an add-on. The cost $14.50 for $100,000 coverage.

BTW: I use Nationwide Essential-- $72 for 7 day cruise up-- to $2000 total trip cost.

They're great on the phone and explain things quite well.

Hope this helps!

Mike

You could have yourself buried where you die. You will not know and I am sure that the funeral expenses will be less than in the US.

DON