Philipsburg tour for elderly with mobility concerns?

Hello my always helpful CC friends. We have been to St. Martin many, many times and have seen all the sights. But, we are taking my 89 year old MIL and her sister on the Regal Princess in December, and have a stop in St. Martin, and I would like to show them around a bit. They are both relatively healthy, but have some mobility issues and can't walk for long periods or distances, and aren't terribly comfortable riding for very long times.

I had thought the little 90 minute trolley train tour of Philipsburg would be perfect for them, just to see some of the sights, but it's completely booked up already. I also looked for pedi-cab tours, as I've seen on some islands but came up empty. I was even considering simply taking the water taxi over to town and just taking a stroll around, but some family members think even that might be too strenuous. I'd just hate for them to miss seeing anything of the island while we're there; it's so quaint and picturesque.

Just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for a simple tour around Philipsburg that might fit the bill.

I know it's a pretty specific request, but we've always gotten great advice from our fellow CC'ers, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have, and happy cruising! :)

• 2 weeks later...

When you say

"have some mobility issues and can't walk for long periods or distances, and aren't terribly comfortable riding for very long times. "

Can't walk very far or ride very long, that pretty much cancels out every opportunity that I could think of.

Perhaps it could just be ride the Water Taxi into town and back out to the Cruise Facility, but even the Water Taxi might offer some mobility issues getting into and off of the boat.

This is a tough one with the stated limitations.

gary

• 4 weeks later...
When you say

"have some mobility issues and can't walk for long periods or distances, and aren't terribly comfortable riding for very long times. "

Can't walk very far or ride very long, that pretty much cancels out every opportunity that I could think of.

Perhaps it could just be ride the Water Taxi into town and back out to the Cruise Facility, but even the Water Taxi might offer some mobility issues getting into and off of the boat.

This is a tough one with the stated limitations.

gary

Thanks for the input. Sorry if I wasn't quite clear enough. Both can walk fine to get around most places, but have gotten pretty slow in their old age. We're not worried about that, but they don't like "holding people up". And they tire easily when walking long distances. I had initially thought of simply taking the water taxi into town and taking a stroll, but was told that this wasn't such a good idea (personally, I think they'd be fine, but family members are being protective - understandably).

As for riding; they're good for an hour or so - and I thought they could probably do that 90 minute trolley ride - but more than that gets to them both; plus, they both have some difficulty getting into and out of cars, so the tours we've taken in the past did not seem like they'd fit the bill here, either, unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks for looking in and giving your thoughts. I'll keep poking around a bit.