Upgrades?

fraj1

If booking 15 months in advance what are the chances of an upgrade? Does Fred have any particular approach to upgrading? Thanks!

Not sure there is any way to predict as it mostly depends on you being in a cabin class that has sold out which they feel they could still sell more of, with empty cabins above your class that they can't sell.

You also need a TA who is on the ball as they will get a short window of opportunity to accept the upgrade offer.

Do also consider that you'll be upgrading into the least popular cabins of the higher class so make sure it really is an 'upgrade'.

It has happened on 2 out of our 5 cruises so far, but of the 3 that were not upgraded there really wasn't anywhere short of the owners suite to upgrade us to on 2 of them.

Mark I am just interested that you mention a travel agent in your post, does that mean if you book through an agent you are more likely to be offered an upgrade? Also if you are upgraded, do you have a say on whether to accept the upgrade, assuming you have not booked on an anchor fare of course?

We have 3 cruises booked, which we booked between 9 - 15 months ahead, but we booked through Fred Directly.

Mark I am just interested that you mention a travel agent in your post, does that mean if you book through an agent you are more likely to be offered an upgrade? Also if you are upgraded, do you have a say on whether to accept the upgrade, assuming you have not booked on an anchor fare of course?

Yes, you get to decide if you accept the upgrade or not.

Some people pick particular decks or cabins for a reason and would not be happy to be simply moved, also some of the 'upgrades' although to a higher cabin grade may not be perceived as an improvement due to an obstructed view or a particular location.

I can't say if using a TA is factor, but I got the impression that Fred sent out a list of which cabin grades they wanted and which upgrades they were offering to all the TA's and it was then a scramble to contact people and see if they were interested in the limited number of upgrades available. It wasn't a case of offering to specific individuals only so I'd imagine the TA helps in this case.

Edited by Mark_T

That's all very interesting - I've booked directly with Fred too so interested to hear if anyone else booking directly has been upgraded? I'm in a single balcony obstructed view so not many in my class but guess not in great demand either so ...??

I'm in a single balcony obstructed view so not many in my class but guess not in great demand either so ...??

I wouldn't be hoping for much to be honest.

They will continue to try and sell the double cabins to couples, or to singles at a premium so not much incentive to move you up and try to sell your single again, especially as there is only one single cabin grade above yours and that is already looking well booked.

That's all very interesting - I've booked directly with Fred too so interested to hear if anyone else booking directly has been upgraded? I'm in a single balcony obstructed view so not many in my class but guess not in great demand either so ...??

Hi Fraj1

I often book direct with Fred and have had many upgrade opportunities. Some have been free ( balcony suite to superior suite) and some have been with a charge (outside to superior outside £55pp). There have been cruises where I have not been offered an upgrade. I am a gold Oceans club member so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It usually happens after the final balance has been paid.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

We were quite lucky in getting an upgrade from the cheapest possible inside cabin on the bottom deck to an outside cabin on the next deck up with 2 portholes. We booked 9 months before the cruise and got upgraded about 4 months after booking. The cabin we got was in a good position in the middle of the ship and it had a bath with shower over it. We booked directly via FO's website.

We have always booked direct with Fred Olsen and have been offered free upgrades on two occasions. We are always in the suites section anyway so pretty sure of a decent upgrade. This year we were offered by telephone an upgrade from marquee suite to premier suite on Balmoral, at a cost but we refused it as the balcony had restricted view and we knew our booked cabin had a great view. Can work with Fred or travel agent.

This year we were offered by telephone an upgrade from marquee suite to premier suite on Balmoral, at a cost but we refused it as the balcony had restricted view and we knew our booked cabin had a great view. Can work with Fred or travel agent.

That's an important point to remember in the heat of the moment when offered an 'upgrade'.

Typically the cabin you are being offered will be a higher grade, but often (but not always) one of the least popular in that grade (which is why it is still available).

So do make sure it really is better than the one you currently have before you accept it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never been offered a free upgrade but have several times been able to pay for an upgrade when on the ship at a very reasonable price. Last year I paid about £250 to upgrade from a pretty ropy superior single balcony cabin with partly obstructed view to a fantastic superior suite, the top grade of cabin.

That sounds perfect - I'm in a sup single obstructed view balcony so be great to have the same opportunity but guess it will depend on how full the ship is. How do you go about this? Ask at check in or at reception when on board? Thanks for the tip!