South Beach Miami recommendations

mjhbrown

When we cruise out of Miami, we generally stay at the InterContinental. While we are not unhappy with the InterContinental, my husband is urging me to explore options for hotels in South Beach. Personally, my son and I are happy at the InterContinental. I don't really need the beach for the less than 24 hrs we will be in Miami prior to our cruise and my son just loves the easy access to Bayside Marketplace. He also enjoys the shadow/light show go go girls at night! LOL

So...I'm looking for a nicer hotel in South Beach. Any suggestions? Also, how far is South Beach from the airport and then how far from South Beach to the POM?

Thank you as always for all of your help!

MJ

I can't seem to figure out how to edit my post but let me expand further. My son is 30 so I don't need a kid-centric place. "Nicer" to me is anything up to about $350 for the one night stay. We'd also like a pool and dining establishments within walking distance.

Thanks!

When we cruise out of Miami, we generally stay at the InterContinental. While we are not unhappy with the InterContinental, my husband is urging me to explore options for hotels in South Beach. Personally, my son and I are happy at the InterContinental. I don't really need the beach for the less than 24 hrs we will be in Miami prior to our cruise and my son just loves the easy access to Bayside Marketplace. He also enjoys the shadow/light show go go girls at night! LOL

So...I'm looking for a nicer hotel in South Beach. Any suggestions? Also, how far is South Beach from the airport and then how far from South Beach to the POM?

Thank you as always for all of your help!

MJ

I would think your 30 year old son (and you and your DH) would find South Beach very interesting and entertaining. Everything is within walking distance. I know my almost 30 year old son and fiance like it so much they are having a destination wedding there next November.

When is your cruise? Prices fluctuate according to the season.

The cheapest way to get from the airport to South Beach is via the airport shuttle bus (the Airport Flyer) - just $2.35 a ride. See http://www.miami-airport.com/pdfdoc/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf.

Take a look at google maps - the southern most part of South Beach is within easy sight of the Port of Miami but you will need to cross back over the MacArthur Causeway (which can sometimes have lots of traffic). Take a taxi or Uber from your hotel to the port.

Edited by capriccio

Your son will enjoy South Beach much more than downtown.

As far as hotels go, in that budget, check out:

Ritz-Carlton

The Loews

The Mondrian

The Betsy

The Shore Club

The Mondrian is on the Biscayne Bay side of South Beach and all the others are on the ocean side.