Self tour or guided tour?

Cruiser933

We are docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard Sunday and part of Monday. The ship excursions for island tours had been sold out, so I had been planning to self tour Sunday with ferry to Hamilton and bus to St. George, and just hang out in Dockyard on Monday. The problems with this plan are that so much is closed on Sunday, transportation options are less frequent and stop early on Sunday, and we have to share dockyard with a megaship on Monday so it will be busy. Self touring is not an option on Monday due to time constraints and crowds.

The ship just added more mini buses for the island tours for both days. I am now thinking about not trying to get all the way to St. George on Sunday. I could either spend more time at the dockyard on Sunday, or do ferry to Hamilton and then bus back along the south shore. I would then do the ship organized tour on Monday. The problem with this is that my time in St. George would be limited to 45 minutes, and the ship excursion is pretty expensive at $110/person.

So, experts, what do you think?

a) Try to see as much as possible on my own on Sunday, and stay close to ship on Monday?

b) Have a more relaxing day on Sunday, with more limited touring, then do a ship sponsored tour on Monday where I know they will get me back before they sail.

Thanks!

I may be on the same sailing as you (in Bermuda Sunday and until 4 on Monday). I'm thinking of going with your a choice. Tour on Sunday and stay in the Dockyard (or close) on Monday.

I hear that many things are open on Sunday during the tourist season, and I'm not a big shopper, so that doesn't matter too much to me.

Another post on this thread has the ferry/bus schedule. Check it out. I'd do the "self tour" on Sunday. Ferry to Hamilton, bus to St George's. It's a charming little village and though shops and the like might be closed, the sites are worth the trip. Bus back to Hamilton, stay in Hamilton a bit,though just about everything will probably be closed. Leave early in the AM and really spend the day out and about exploring. You don't have to worry about being back to the ship by 5PM, so you won't have to rush and constantly be looking at your watch and worrying if you'll get back in time. Spend Monday wondering around and checking out the Dockyard.

If you go to that bus/ferry schedule it also includes info on price/form of payment/schedule etc. It should answer all of your questions. IF you can't find the thread, just google "Bermuda bus/ferry 2016.

Do you know when they say exact change do they mean $5 in quarters or $5 US money thanks for any help you can give me

Bills are not accepted on the buses (although there have been reports of a driver here or there doing so) so exact change in coins is required. Bills are accepted on the ferries.

You could save yourself the trouble of having exact change whether in coins or bills, as well as saving a little money, by purchasing tokens for $4.50 each at the Visitors Information Center, or by a buying transportation pass. Transportation passes are economical if you're doing a sufficient number of trips on the buses and ferries. An adult 1 day pass is $19, two day pass $31.50 and 3 day pass $44. Note that multi day passes must be used on consecutive days, so you can't use a 2 day pass on days 1 and 3, for example. There are also books of transportation tickets available, but they're not sold at Dockyard, which is whwere I assume you'll be based.