New Years, shops open?

glituner32

While I cannot tell you 100% what will be opened or closed, you can be assured that all the tours are running and that most of the specialty stores will be open for the cruise tourists.

You have to keep in mind that this is their peak season, and if they are not open, they stand to lose lots of money from the tourists. They can close up in the summer, when there are less ships in port (sometimes only 1 or 2 a week).

On the 1st there are 5 cruise ships in port, (Explorer, Summit, Amsterdam, Eclipse and Regal) and potentially 13,600 people ready to explore and buy.

New Years Day is a 'Public Holiday' in St. Maarten, and most shops will be open.

They have to have volunteer employees working that day and pay a premium, but they can be open.

It is different for an 'Official Holiday' like Christmas or Easter or St. Maarten's day, when shops must close for the day, with some exceptions. Shops at the Cruise Facility, the Airport, Bakeries and Gas Stations and some others can remain open.

gary

New Years Day is a 'Public Holiday' in St. Maarten, and most shops will be open.

They have to have volunteer employees working that day and pay a premium, but they can be open.

It is different for an 'Official Holiday' like Christmas or Easter or St. Maarten's day, when shops must close for the day, with some exceptions. Shops at the Cruise Facility, the Airport, Bakeries and Gas Stations and some others can remain open.

gary

REVISION

I found a document that says that New Year's Day is an OFFICIAL holiday, where most shops are required to close.

I'm trying to verify.

gary

Hello friend!

We are on the same cruise, and I was curious about the same thing! St. Maarten is a big shopping port for us (especially jewelry), and we would be very disappointed if we were docked in St. Maarten on an official holiday!

Hope you have a great cruise! Maybe we will cross paths :)