Belize - advice needed r.e. ruins/excursions/wildlife

Trin1103

Hi all,

So we are booked on the Freedom next Feb, and our ports are going to be Cozumel, Belize and Mahogany Bay.

I know next to nothing about Belize and so this week I have started researching the area pretty thoroughly. I of course am aware that there are several Mayan ruin sites that are available as excursions, along with a lot of snorkeling/beach-related stuff.

So I have some questions.

1. Is there a place relatively close to the cruise port that you can go in Belize to see Macaws in the wild? I wouldn't even know where to start.

2. My second question is about the Mayan ruin sites that are available through Carnival - specifically Xunantunich and Lamanai. It seems that most who have done these excursions have thoroughly enjoyed them, although some do say they are a bit gruelling. My (very specific) question is this: Is there ANYWHERE at all at either of these sites where it is possible to cool off? This could be a cenote, or it could also be an air-conditioned visitor center/museum, or heck even just your idling tour bus. It should be noted that simply sitting under a shade tree will NOT work for me, I will continue to get sicker and sicker even if sitting in the shade and getting fanned/covered in water. I feel really pathetic saying all of this because I don't generally admit it - but this is a fact of life for me. (As a general rule of thumb, I can do yardwork and spend a few hours outside in temperatures up to around 86oF before I begin to experience problems.)

My husband and I desperately want to do a Mayan ruin visit while in Belize, but my only problem is that I have a very, very hard time with the heat. Like - I am OK up (and until) a certain point out in it, but after that point (and this point is always reached) I need to have a way to cool down or I risk passing out and becoming very sick. We did Dzibilchaltun while in Progreso during our last cruise back in January 2012, and I can honestly say that had Cenote Xlacah not been there, I would not have managed to get cooled down enough to reach the Temple of the Seven Dolls. This is really unfortunate for me, because I INTENSELY enjoy and am very interested in Mayan ruins and culture.

If anybody has ANY insights into the Carnival trips to Xunantunich or Lamanai - and the availability of any place at these sites to cool down adequately - please share so as to help me plan our excursions! (In Cozumel, we are going to do Tulum as we missed it the first time. I have the ocean there so I should be good! ;p)

Thanks all!

Trin

You aren't going to see McCaws in the wild in Belize, they are rare. More likely to see them down farther south, like Costa Rica.

Xunantunich is wonderful, we loved it, and we were there in August...but it was oppressively hot. The bus getting there is cold a/c, but walking around ruins is sunny, with shade trees along the outer rim. Feb might be slightly cooler, but you are high up in the mountains and jungle. Expect humid weather. I understand you issue about the heat...I have the same problem. But it was my birthday and we had missed the ruins the last time there as there had been a tropical storm that had washed out the roads in the area. You have to get off the bus, cross a bridge over a river to get there, which was cool, then take small vans up another mile, but after that, lots of walking in hills and jungle. They take you to a village restaurant afterwards for a nice authentic lunch, which was wonderful, then the 1.5 hour bus ride back where most people sleep. It is a LONG day but well worth it.

We have not done Lamanai but the river boat tour part looks fun and would be cool. I think they have a museum there where you can purchase lunch extra. (Xunantunich the lunch is included in price). Hopefully some people who have been there can give you more info.

Tulum in Cozumel (actually on Mainland across from Cozumel) is a tiny ruin site, and IMHO it is very blah compared to places like Coba, Xunantunich, Uxmal, and Chichen Itza. It really is more of a tourist attraction than a historic site to learn about the Mayans. It was built during the very very end of the Mayan empire, and unimportant historically. It just sits on cliffs next to ocean, so takes pretty pictures. Like I said, my opinion...as an artist and history buff.

Have you looked at those small water bottles with a fan on top? I have seen people carry them around at some ruins. I think they are around $5 at Walmart and HomeDepot.

robin

There is a colony of wild macaws near the town of copper Bank in Belize. The Ruins st Tulum are small but they are extremely historic they are the only fort known to have been built by the Maya

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tip for cooling off. At stores like Walmart in the fitness section, they have cooling towels. You just wet it and it stays cool for hours. We took these along on a summer trip to Disney and they were really helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you want to see McCaws and other wild animals close up , we did a tour in Roatan called Wild ON Wildlife tour our kids loved it as you got to hold many of the animals.

Belize is pretty hot and humid. You may want to look at a snorkeling tour or Altun Ha which is a shorter maya ruins tour.

From Cozumel, we once did a Tulum Ruins tour, but we had to take a ferry to the mainland but I think we had a lot of time. That tour did include a cenote stop as well, which was lovely and cooling after the Ruins

If you want to see McCaws and other wild animals close up , we did a tour in Roatan called Wild ON Wildlife tour our kids loved it as you got to hold many of the animals.

Belize is pretty hot and humid. You may want to look at a snorkeling tour or Altun Ha which is a shorter maya ruins tour.

From Cozumel, we once did a Tulum Ruins tour, but we had to take a ferry to the mainland but I think we had a lot of time. That tour did include a cenote stop as well, which was lovely and cooling after the Ruins

Thanks to Crossfitmama and all who have replied here. Y'all really help with my decision making and we are so lucky to have such a helpful community here! :)

Well, I THINK we have decided we are going to try and do Lamanai while in Belize. We really are Mayan ruin people and my DH doesn't swim and we don't party it up big or anything - so something like snorkeling or a beach break wouldn't work for us.

I did look at Altun-Ha as you kindly suggested, but to be honest I don't think that that site has what we are looking for. The large pyramid at Lamanai really interests us and will make for some great photography. Plus the boat ride up the New River also seems pretty cool.

Speaking of that boat ride to Lamanai - has anyone ever swam in/cooled off in the New River there at Lamanai?

Trin

Speaking of that boat ride to Lamanai - has anyone ever swam in/cooled off in the New River there at Lamanai? Trin

HINT: Lamanai means submerged crocodile. Locals swim in the river, but I highly doubt you would want to take a chance. With any luck you will see some crocs on the ride in. My neighbors recently took a trip to Lamanai and they saw several trees filled with toucans. Hopefully that will be your experience. I have seen many birds on the way in, but never toucans in their natural setting and especially at Lamanii. I am always on the lookout for the wild orchids and hopefully in February there will be many in bloom for your view.

Have a great trip.

Janice