Feedback for H

lbfluffy

On my other threads, I mentioned we decided to rent a car in Honolulu. However I am rethinking renting a car in Oahu. Two things we want to do are Pearl Harbor and a Luau. Some of you said it would be best to use the transportation the luau company provides. We are leaning towards Paradise Cove Luau. So if we rented a car then we would spend time picking it up and dropping it off. Is there a better option than renting the car if all we want to mainly do is Pearl Harbor and the luau? I don't want to waste a lot of time messing with the car situation

Thanks

On my other threads, I mentioned we decided to rent a car in Honolulu. However I am rethinking renting a car in Oahu. Two things we want to do are Pearl Harbor and a Luau. Some of you said it would be best to use the transportation the luau company provides. We are leaning towards Paradise Cove Luau. So if we rented a car then we would spend time picking it up and dropping it off. Is there a better option than renting the car if all we want to mainly do is Pearl Harbor and the luau? I don't want to waste a lot of time messing with the car situation

Thanks

Many, or maybe most, visitors to O'ahu never rent a car, especially if they are staying in the Waikiki Beach area where it is very easy to walk to numerous hotels, restaurants, the beach, etc. If it's too far to walk, there is The BUS, ( which even goes to Pearl Harbor and I believe I have seen shuttle services advertised for PH as well ), taxis are plentiful, and there are tons of tour companies which will take you places like the North Shore, the Polynesian Cultural Center, etc. We booked our 1/2 day Pearl Harbor tour with Roberts Hawaii. They picked us up at our hotel and took care of the tickets. Sometimes convenience trumps. And as discussed, the Luau companies often provide transfer pick ups at hotels.

So really no reason to feel that a car is a necessity.

Use their great public transportation system...The Bus. Or if you want to get to the Arizona Memorial faster then I've read it's about $35 for a taxi. You could take a taxi there & The Bus back to the ship or to explore other parts of O'ahu.

You can go to The Bus website or use Google Maps bus transportation option. There are 2 Honolulu cruise ship terminals...Aloha Tower & Pier 2 Cruise Terminal. For $2.50 it's a great deal and if having a Medicare card it's only $1.

Here's a list of which cruise ship terminal is scheduled to be used for each arrival.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/files/2013/01/oahu-criuse-2017-3-17-16.pdf

I've never attended a luau on O'ahu but have read that some have a transportation option for a fee.

Use their great public transportation system...The Bus. Or if you want to get to the Arizona Memorial faster then I've read it's about $35 for a taxi. You could take a taxi there & The Bus back to the ship or to explore other parts of O'ahu.

You can go to The Bus website or use Google Maps bus transportation option. There are 2 Honolulu cruise ship terminals...Aloha Tower & Pier 2 Cruise Terminal. For $2.50 it's a great deal and if having a Medicare card it's only $1.

Here's a list of which cruise ship terminal is scheduled to be used for each arrival.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/files/2013/01/oahu-criuse-2017-3-17-16.pdf

I've never attended a luau on O'ahu but have read that some have a transportation option for a fee.

Thank you so much. I think I will cancel the car. I just want to get out of my husband's bucket list trip.

I think I'll keep Kauai and Hilo cars.

This week I'll book my Luau

Thank you so much. I think I will cancel the car. I just want to get out of my husband's bucket list trip.

I think I'll keep Kauai and Hilo cars.

This week I'll book my Luau

In January we cruised roundtrip LA on the Star Princess & did as you propose to do...rental cars in Hilo & Kauai. But instead we easily walked around Chinatown & downtown Honolulu because we've already seen what we want on O'ahu.

Are you aware of the option to pay a small fee ($1.50 per ticket) to pre-reserve a tender time to the Arizona Memorial?

https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/fees.htm

If using this option, immediately call at the time reservations open for booking & remember that is HST & Hawaii doesn't use daylight savings time. If not, 1,300 tickets are available daily beginning at 0700.

All of the details are on that webpage which is viewable by clicking on that link.

I think I'll do an Uber there bus on return

Returning from PH on The Bus, I got off to go back to the ship & my wife continued to go to the Ala Moana Shopping Center. After she went shopping, it would have been cheaper if we both took a cab or Uber directly back to the ship. ;)

Astro you are hilarious. You know us women love to shop. I have my alarm set to go off September 19th in the morning to purchase the tickets.

Thanks for your help.

You're very welcome...have a great Hawaiian cruise.

One suggestion...don't try to see too many things from your car & take some some time to get out to experience Hawaii. :)

You're very welcome...have a great Hawaiian cruise.

One suggestion...don't try to see too many things from your car & take some some time to get out to experience Hawaii. :)

Thanks we will get a guide book. Hilo we may go to the National Volcano Park. Kauai we are not sure yet. Maui we will be in Lahaina so we will head to Kannapali beach.

So don't be surprised if I ask you a lot of questions, Astro. You are very knowledgeable

Thanks we will get a guide book. Hilo we may go to the National Volcano Park. Kauai we are not sure yet. Maui we will be in Lahaina so we will head to Kannapali beach.

So don't be surprised if I ask you a lot of questions, Astro. You are very knowledgeable

I fell in love with Hawaii decades ago when first arriving in Pearl Harbor at dawn on the aircraft carrier USS Midway. While I've visited all of the major islands, it's primarily been Maui we've experienced both as a visitors & residents. Hawaii & cruises are 2 of my favorite subjects but I'm still learning new things on these forums. I enjoy island hopping by ship for the day without having to fly or get a hotel room...the ship provides both along with our meals. :D

A guidebook will provide much more information than you could use in a day & if you haven't viewed the Hawaii Visitors Bureau website that may provide you with sufficient information & they'll mail a brochure. They're just one of the many online resources you could check to decide how you want to enjoy Hawaii.

https://www.gohawaii.com/

A short distance off the route to VNP is the Mauna Loa macadamia nut visitors center which has a small display about the process & a gift shop. There is a great variety of mac products but stores such as Walmart & Longs have much better prices for the most popular items. Not far from Hilo is Rainbow Falls & the quaint town of Hilo has a tsunami museum about how tsunamis have affected the town.

http://www.tsunami.org/index/index.html

In Kauai I'd recommend to either visit the northern or southern ends but not both of them. I've read that traffic returning to the main town Lihue by the ship from the north shore can get jammed in the afternoon so take that into consideration.

Ka'anapali Beach is surrounded by resort hotels & in the middle at Whalers Village are shops & restaurants. Our favorite spot to eat is at Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar...covered tables mostly in the sand across from the beach & regularly has free live entertainment. Taxi websites show Ka'anapali is about a $15 one-way taxi ride & is better than the bus or renting a car for a day at the beach. Black Rock adjacent to the Sheraton can provide good snorkeling however check the conditions...red or yellow/red flags warn of danger. If you have time before tendering back to the ship, the historical old town of Lahaina was once the whaling center of the world & for a short time was also the capital of the Hawaiian monarchy.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I fell in love with Hawaii decades ago when first arriving in Pearl Harbor at dawn on the aircraft carrier USS Midway. While I've visited all of the major islands, it's primarily been Maui we've experienced both as a visitors & residents. Hawaii & cruises are 2 of my favorite subjects but I'm still learning new things on these forums. I enjoy island hopping by ship for the day without having to fly or get a hotel room...the ship provides both along with our meals. :D

A guidebook will provide much more information than you could use in a day & if you haven't viewed the Hawaii Visitors Bureau website that may provide you with sufficient information & they'll mail a brochure. They're just one of the many online resources you could check to decide how you want to enjoy Hawaii.

https://www.gohawaii.com/

A short distance off the route to VNP is the Mauna Loa macadamia nut visitors center which has a small display about the process & a gift shop. There is a great variety of mac products but stores such as Walmart & Longs have much better prices for the most popular items. Not far from Hilo is Rainbow Falls & the quaint town of Hilo has a tsunami museum about how tsunamis have affected the town.

http://www.tsunami.org/index/index.html

In Kauai I'd recommend to either visit the northern or southern ends but not both of them. I've read that traffic returning to the main town Lihue by the ship from the north shore can get jammed in the afternoon so take that into consideration.

Ka'anapali Beach is surrounded by resort hotels & in the middle at Whalers Village are shops & restaurants. Our favorite spot to eat is at Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar...covered tables mostly in the sand across from the beach & regularly has free live entertainment. Taxi websites show Ka'anapali is about a $15 one-way taxi ride & is better than the bus or renting a car for a day at the beach. Black Rock adjacent to the Sheraton can provide good snorkeling however check the conditions...red or yellow/red flags warn of danger. If you have time before tendering back to the ship, the historical old town of Lahaina was once the whaling center of the world & for a short time was also the capital of the Hawaiian monarchy.

Thank you. I did receive brochures from all the islands.

Which side is best on Kauai?

I will copy these comments to my Hawaii notes.

We were on the fence whether to fly and stay on an island. But the price of the cruise is a better value. Plus my husband loves sea days.

Jessica

Thank you. I did receive brochures from all the islands.

Which side is best on Kauai?

I will copy these comments to my Hawaii notes.

We were on the fence whether to fly and stay on an island. But the price of the cruise is a better value. Plus my husband loves sea days.

Jessica

My wife & I also love sea days. :D

Both sides of the Garden Isle of Kauai are good & cannot say which you'd prefer.

The north shore has more lush vegetation which also means more rain. The beach used in South Pacific, Hanalei, an old lighthouse & hikes along the Na Pali coast are some things we've enjoyed.

Along the south shore is Poipu Beach which was better for water activities & is considered the sunny side of Kauai. There's also Waimea Canyon (AKA Grand Canyon of the Pacific), some rocks from of an old Russian fort, Spouting Horn (a blowhole), Kauai Coffee plantation (tasting & tour but much prefer my 100% Kona coffee) and small towns such as Hanapepe which was the inspiration for the town in the animated movie Lilo & Stitch.

Closer to Lihue is Waimea Falls but I think that the Waimea River cruise to the Fern Grotto wasn't great although you might enjoy it.

Kauai has grown a lot since our first visit in 1981 when they had just added their 3rd traffic signal. ;)

My wife & I also love sea days. :D

Both sides of the Garden Isle of Kauai are good & cannot say which you'd prefer.

The north shore has more lush vegetation which also means more rain. The beach used in South Pacific, Hanalei, an old lighthouse & hikes along the Na Pali coast are some things we've enjoyed.

Along the south shore is Poipu Beach which was better for water activities & is considered the sunny side of Kauai. There's also Waimea Canyon (AKA Grand Canyon of the Pacific), some rocks from of an old Russian fort, Spouting Horn (a blowhole), Kauai Coffee plantation (tasting & tour but much prefer my 100% Kona coffee) and small towns such as Hanapepe which was the inspiration for the town in the animated movie Lilo & Stitch.

Closer to Lihue is Waimea Falls but I think that the Waimea River cruise to the Fern Grotto wasn't great although you might enjoy it.

Kauai has grown a lot since our first visit in 1981 when they had just added their 3rd traffic signal. ;)

Thanks for the information. I went to Hawaii back in 1988 when I was a travel agent for a short bit. We went to all the islands, but it was so long ago and it was very quick trips to the tourist areas. I also went with my parents and I believe we went to Kauai, but I can't remember where we went. My husband has never been to Hawaii so this is his bucket list trip. He's so excited.

Thanks for the information. I went to Hawaii back in 1988 when I was a travel agent for a short bit. We went to all the islands, but it was so long ago and it was very quick trips to the tourist areas. I also went with my parents and I believe we went to Kauai, but I can't remember where we went. My husband has never been to Hawaii so this is his bucket list trip. He's so excited.

During the cruise you'll get a taste of each island & hopefully someday you can return to your favorite island to explore it in greater detail.

During the cruise you'll get a taste of each island & hopefully someday you can return to your favorite island to explore it in greater detail.

Yes that's true. We like the cruise because the value for what we get is better than staying on one island plus airfare is high.

• 2 weeks later...
Astro Flyer how long does it take to get from PH to the Ala Moana hotel? The Luau we want to go to wants us there at 3:50 pm, departs at 4 pm.

Jessica

Based on Google Maps it's currently a 21 minute drive for the 10 miles from PH to the hotel. That's on a Sunday morning & it'll probably take longer at other times. On The Bus it shows 41 minutes which includes 8 minutes of walking.

https://goo.gl/maps/yJ1Rtm8kAFS2

Based on Google Maps it's currently a 21 minute drive for the 10 miles from PH to the hotel. That's on a Sunday morning & it'll probably take longer at other times. On The Bus it shows 41 minutes which includes 8 minutes of walking.

https://goo.gl/maps/yJ1Rtm8kAFS2

Ok great. Thanks. I'll take an Uber on the return.

I was told it is better to get a tour company to guide us through PH because on our own we will have to wait for the tour companies to go through and we will have a long wait.

However my plan is to do as you suggest and call as soon as the window opens.

Ok great. Thanks. I'll take an Uber on the return.

I was told it is better to get a tour company to guide us through PH because on our own we will have to wait for the tour companies to go through and we will have a long wait.

However my plan is to do as you suggest and call as soon as the window opens.

When I've gone to PH even before reservations were an option wait times were not excessive. We independently toured the Arizona Memorial's visitor center & took the tender to the USS Arizona. Afterwards we took the free shuttle to Ford Island to tour the battleship USS Missouri (fee charged).

I'm confused...you're reserving a tender ticket so why would you need a tour company to guide you? You'll have a reservation time so tour companies don't go ahead of you.

When I've gone to PH even before reservations were an option wait times were not excessive. We independently toured the Arizona Memorial's visitor center & took the tender to the USS Arizona. Afterwards we took the free shuttle to Ford Island to tour the battleship USS Missouri (fee charged).

I'm confused...you're reserving a tender ticket so why would you need a tour company to guide you? You'll have a reservation time so tour companies don't go ahead of you.

It's the exhibits that have long lines and ship excursions get into the exhibits first.