Small boats close to sawyer glacier question

JP-Cruise

Hello, I am sailing on the norwegian sun in July 10 - 17. The last day of the cruise will be sailing sawyer glacier. I am reading about how you can go on a smaller boat to go closer to the glacier and watch it calving. Wondering how this works? Do you only get these small boats from Juneau?

We have booked a small boat trip from Juneau with Adventure Bound. It is a long day trip though, like 8 hours.

Oh that's exciting. When are you sailing? I have a canoe/glacier excursion booked for Juneau

Hello, I am sailing on the norwegian sun in July 10 - 17. The last day of the cruise will be sailing sawyer glacier. I am reading about how you can go on a smaller boat to go closer to the glacier and watch it calving. Wondering how this works? Do you only get these small boats from Juneau?

Recheck your itinerary. If you're talking 2016, your cruise on the Sun is from Monday to Monday. Sawyer Glacier is in the middle of the cruise, not the last day as you state. Unfortunately, from what I saw, NCL doesn't offer the small boat experience in Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier) on this cruise. Your time in Juneau is so short that wouldn't have enough time to do the tour if you booked it privately and then get back onboard. Some cruises have a tour where you get on the small boat directly from the ship, do the tour and then meet back with the ship in Juneau, but since you're on a one-way cruise with Sawyer after Juneau, that's not possible.

Recheck your itinerary. If you're talking 2016, your cruise on the Sun is from Monday to Monday. Sawyer Glacier is in the middle of the cruise, not the last day as you state. Unfortunately, from what I saw, NCL doesn't offer the small boat experience in Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier) on this cruise. Your time in Juneau is so short that wouldn't have enough time to do the tour if you booked it privately and then get back onboard. Some cruises have a tour where you get on the small boat directly from the ship, do the tour and then meet back with the ship in Juneau, but since you're on a one-way cruise with Sawyer after Juneau, that's not possible.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information. Ok, no big deal. I guess it's just something to look forward to on my next Alaskan cruise :). I double checked my itinerary, sawyer glacier is my last day at sea. And the day after that I disembark from Vancouver. Doing the 4 day land tour first from anchorage, then doing the cruise southbound.

JP

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information. Ok, no big deal. I guess it's just something to look forward to on my next Alaskan cruise :). I double checked my itinerary, sawyer glacier is my last day at sea. And the day after that I disembark from Vancouver. Doing the 4 day land tour first from anchorage, then doing the cruise southbound.

JP

Oh my gosh I'm so dumb haha, I just rechecked my itinerary, I see sawyer glacier is the second half of the day in Juneau. My last day at sea is cruising the inside passage. Anything exciting I should be aware of cruising the inside passage? Any kind of advice?

Oh my gosh I'm so dumb haha, I just rechecked my itinerary, I see sawyer glacier is the second half of the day in Juneau. My last day at sea is cruising the inside passage. Anything exciting I should be aware of cruising the inside passage? Any kind of advice?

I recommend "The Alaska Cruise Handbook" by Joe Upton. I got mine a few years back from Amazon. It's got lots of info on Alaska and all the ports. Also has a nice fold-out map that shows the routes cruise ships take (both inside and outside passages) with lots of notes and interesting facts as well as what to look for along the way...

I recommend "The Alaska Cruise Handbook" by Joe Upton. I got mine a few years back from Amazon. It's got lots of info on Alaska and all the ports. Also has a nice fold-out map that shows the routes cruise ships take (both inside and outside passages) with lots of notes and interesting facts as well as what to look for along the way...

I second the recommendation for this book.