onboard shopping opportunites?

lakelodge

We are booked soon on the Queen Elizabeth, and I was considering packing a little lighter, then purchasing a few things onboard, thus serving as souveniers as well as useful items. Specifically, is there a shop selling ladies' formal wear, &/or sportswear, and is there a shop selling accessories such as sparkly jewelry (costume--not "real") to wear on formal nights? We've been on many cruises, but never on Cunard...so, how IS the shopping?

Yes and yes, there is plenty of shopping available. The only challenge may be that they may not have specific sizes available (space on board is limited). In my opinion there is a wide range of clothing and jewelry available to appeal to a broad spectrum of tastes for both men & women.

One shopping oddity is that there were no real 'black tie' bow ties available - just the pre tied ones.

Considering a sailing on Cunard represents one of the few occasions you know there will be multiple occasions to wear black tie, and bow ties are both small and 'one size fits almost anyone not in the NFL', I thought that was a puzzling omission.

One thing to consider is the cost. I found clothing prices on board to be very high. Maybe I'm spoiled by sales and coupons from Lord & Taylor and Macy's, but I wouldn't pay ship's prices unless I'd made a packing error and really needed something.

Yes, absolutely, the prices were high and unless I'd forgotten an essential item I wouldn't pay them.

The sparkly costume jewellery was very reasonably priced though :D

That's what I was mainly interested in--sparkly costume jewelry--I usually buy a piece or two on every cruise, it's fun to get something new and have something to remember the cruise by.

Also, I never pack perfume, I don't wear it every day anyway. I think it's fun to sample a squirt or two from the perfume shop and then buy a new scent to take home.

Incidentally, I have actually found some great bargains on cruise ships, such as my favorite two piece black swimsuit came from a Royal Caribbean ship and it was 75% off!

BUT I hope I never have to purchase toothpaste or headache medicine or any other drug store item on board a ship...the prices are outrageous!

Archived