Milan Airport

martinimadam

I'll be flying from Boston to Lisbon via Milan on Alitalia. I've got a diagram of the airport, but want to know how far it is from the incoming flight gate to the outgoing flight gate. Is it a long walk? Is the airport very big? I realize the line at immigration could be the unknown factor for time. Any help would be appreciated.

The terminal that you will be in is large, but not huge, but the problem that you are going to have is getting through customs and immigration. When the morning flights arrive into Malpensa the queue for transfers can be unbearably long.

Immigration will take place in Milan, since that is the 1st stop in Europe - since Italy and Purtogaul participate in the "Schengen" agreement.

Luggage will be labeled to Lisbon, where local customs might want to check it.

My TA said that I could check my bags through to Lisbon, and wouldn't have to go through customs in Milan. Is she wrong?????
You will still get questions related to customs, and the bags you carry on will have to go through customs in Malpensa, even if you did not have anything as a carryone, the line is the same.

I would think 2hrs20mins would be adequate. I still have horrible flashbacks from 2003 when a friend & I changed from a Delta flight to Alitalia in Milan. I realize that you aren't changing carriers like we were. We did have to leave one secure area & go back into another for Customs. There was a sea of hundreds of people trying to squeeze into a single line file to go through w/ no sense or order or decorum whatsoever. I got seperated from my friend (who was pushing & breaking in line). I was being the good girl & trying to find the end of the line & "follow the rules". I don't frighten easily; but I was scared s*****ss. I didn't see any signs in English nor anyone who seemed to speak the language to ask for assistance. Probably too much information. Sorry. But I do wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for all the information. Sure got my attention! I've changed my flights now to go on Continental BOS-EWR-LIS, so I won't have to go through customes and immigration twice, and should be on a "better" plane.

Sure love these message boards. Could have been in a world of hurt if not for all of you. "Thanks" hardly covers it!

Archived