Cut to the chase....in a nutshell who do you tip and how much?

jaspertl

Leaving in 10 days, (yipeeee) and am still confused about the tipping even after reading prior posts....

You do YOU tip and HOW MUCH on the cruise

room service

steward

waiter

bartender

?????????????????

as far as excursions...

bus driver ($5. pp???)

pilot (misty fijords)

kenai fjords

????????????

Please give me your opinions....I'll print it out and take it with me.

Leaving in 10 days, (yipeeee) and am still confused about the tipping even after reading prior posts....

You do YOU tip and HOW MUCH on the cruise

room service

steward

waiter

bartender

?????????????????

as far as excursions...

bus driver ($5. pp???)

pilot (misty fijords)

kenai fjords

????????????

Please give me your opinions....I'll print it out and take it with me.

Everyone "suggested" by the cruise line in at least the recommended amounts. Typically Room Steward, Server/Waiter, Asst Server, Head Waiter. I've never tipped excursion operators. Are you supposed to?

Tips are already included on most of the cruise lines now. If they're not, you will get a guide to tipping.

I did tip fun bus drivers (one of the very few who did), could not tip the helicopter pilot who deserved one, since we were shuttled off fast and our purses were held in the main terminal and we weren't allowed to bring them on the helicopter. But most excursions, people don't tip.

If you feel the service was worth tipping, tip. If not, don't. If your purse is locked up you have no choice. ;)

Ben, the pilot from Temsco in Juneau, was so awesome. He went to the edge of the hole in the glacier to take that picture for me. But I wasn't able to tip him for it, since my purse was locked up inside and he took another group immediately after us. That's my only tipping regret.

Consult your cruise brochure for the recommended tipping a lot have automatic now. I tip shuttle drivers a $1-2 and the tour guide/operator/pilot $5-10pp depending on the length etc.

Consult your cruise brochure for the recommended tipping a lot have automatic now. I tip shuttle drivers a $1-2 and the tour guide/operator/pilot $5-10pp depending on the length etc.

I think these levels are pretty much in line. We have had occasion to notice a really good guide and driver not being tipped by a lot of the passengers on a tour. In those instances we will increase our tip to try to make up for some of the shortfall.

On the cruise, we have always tipped at the recommended level and then tipped individually to those whose service has been exceptional (we have always been fortunate to have a really good cabin steward). Often the assistant waiter provides a lot of the service in the dining room and we try to make sure he is rewarded.

We leave the charges on our cruise account (never had the need to remove tips for terrible service - even after 14 cruises). We always give $20 extra to our cabin attendent. We feel she/he deserves that little extra.

I always let them charge me the tip onto my room or sign and sail card. I have NEVER had a bad experience with my room steward or waiters.. Even if I did I dont think I would take away their tip, they work on these ships 8 months out of the year for 15 hour days.

Anyhow, I always leave them each including my room steward, the assistant steward, and dining room staff a min. of $20.00 per person in the cabin. I dont think they get paid enough as it is.

They always tell us to tip the Maitre D'.. I dont give him much, because our last Maitre D' Manuel on the Carnival Spirit I was told by more than one crew member that he gets paid more than the Captain he gets paid a min. of $12,000.00 (Yes Twelve Thousand a Week) I thought that was crazy amount but my friend over at Carnival Main office confirmed it. Manuel had been with Carnival for 25 years, so he gets paid very well.. So you can imagine his tip went down when I heard he gets paid an exagerrated amount of money...

I know people who tip the Carnival Camp counselors at least 100.00 for a week of putting up with their children for almost 12 hours a day...lol.

Anyhow, we had a bus driver that took us to a bunch of places before returning us to the cruise port after an excursion and we tipped him...

So is this correct??? The tips are automatically added to your bill, $10. per day per person, and then you leave an additonal $20. for the Steward, Ass. Steward and the waitpeople?

So it sounds like I'll need approximately $150.-$175 for tips per week per person including the excursions? (Bus in Denali, Denali plane flight in Talkeetna, Kenaji Fjords boat trip and Misty Fijords float plane)

I'm assuming that there is a crew for the Kenaji fjords boat trip (9 hr) Do you tip them also? All of them or let them split it up or????

and I know that some people have tipped the pilots of the planes and others not....is there a concensus on this????

WHew!!! I wish we were just charged enough money from the get go so that these people could make a decent living and we didn't have to think so much about this!!!

HAL automatically deducts $10 per day per person on our ship account. In addition, we will tip $20 per night (two of them) in the Pinnacle Grill (alternate restaurant) to the servers. We will tip $2 each time for room service, $40 for the week to our cabin attendant, $1 per bag for the handlers at airport shuttle, 15 per cent to taxi drivers in Seattle and the rest of the tips will be based on how we feel about the tour operators--probably $5 or $10 per person (two of us).

Of course, there will probably be additional services we haven't thought of. We do not drink in bars where the ship automatically adds 15 per cent to the tab. If we have laundry done or pressing, then we will tip those who take care of this.

I am sure there will be plenty of ATM's in case of a cash shortage. But, we think good service should be rewarded.

Have a great cruise and just leave that wallet open:)

So is this correct??? The tips are automatically added to your bill, $10. per day per person, and then you leave an additonal $20. for the Steward, Ass. Steward and the waitpeople?

So it sounds like I'll need approximately $150.-$175 for tips per week per person including the excursions? (Bus in Denali, Denali plane flight in Talkeetna, Kenaji Fjords boat trip and Misty Fijords float plane)

I'm assuming that there is a crew for the Kenaji fjords boat trip (9 hr) Do you tip them also? All of them or let them split it up or????

and I know that some people have tipped the pilots of the planes and others not....is there a concensus on this????

WHew!!! I wish we were just charged enough money from the get go so that these people could make a decent living and we didn't have to think so much about this!!!

Its up to you what you want to tip..

I think it depends on the tours and what you are doing and if someone went out of their way for you..

I personally think its nice to give a little extra to the people taking care of you on the cruise. Especially the cabin stewards and the waiters. They always to an excellent job and $3.50 to $1.50 is what they get per person per day, which I think is not enough. Additionally, there are alwasy people who over the stupidist will deduct their tips and believe me I've heard from people themselves who will decrease tips.. (One lady told me her cabin steward didnt know her name and she didnt think that was appropriate and was going to cut her tip, so I asked her do you know her name and how to pronounce it? And she said "No" and I said well then I suggest you learn it before you start complaining. )

Anyhow, its always good to tip for good service...

Also, if you do anything in the SPA they doing get paid, they get paid by tips.

I had in total 4 massages.. Only 3 that I liked that where by the same girl each time I went I increased her tip and on my 3rd massage I was her last client of the day late afternoon she gave me an extra 20 mins plus a wonderful muscle destressant oil that cost about $55.00 (because I wanted to buy it but not for $55.00 during my prev. massage) of course she justified it by putting it on my bill and then adding a discount of the same amount.

So the "moral" to my story, if you take care of them they take care of you> :D

Yes, my opinion only, I tip them all, especially the Denali Park bus driver of the SHUTTLE, I have tipped $20 the last several years. Always well deserving in my opinion and made my trip great and got me safely about Denali Park- wait until you see some of the roads. :) Kenai fjords has a tip jar.

Archived