144 Hour Visa - Arriving in Shanghai on Mariner

Nos_4r2

I have done a number of searches on the forums for info on experiences with utilizing the Shanghai 144 Hour Visa-Free Transit Policy, but have yet to come across any experiences of passengers who have arrived on RCI cruises.

Essentially, my cruise will be leaving Singapore, stopping in Vietnam, Hong Kong, Japan and then ending in Shanghai. I will then be flying back to Singapore before heading back to Australia.

I understand the criteria to be eligible for it and I know I will be, as I will be going from Japan to Shanghai to Singapore.

The reason I ask is because from the reports I have heard of others looking it, it seems the reps at various cruise operators didn't know too much about it. I have also heard that RCI may even turn you away before even boarding the ship if you have not already pre-organised your Chinese Visa. But this visa-free policy is specific to Shanghai only and as far as I know no pre-organised Visa is required, just fill out the immigration card on board and head to the 144 Hour Visa Free Desk at the port in Shanghai with your passport and outbound plane ticket at the

So before i give RCI a call to clarify I just wanted to see if anyone has had any first hand experience using this visa policy to enter Shanghai by Cruise ship and exit via plane and what the process was like.

Edited by Nos_4r2

We did a cruise on Celebrity last October, but we had Shanghai as a port of call in the middle and has we were returning to a Japanese port next we were ineligible for the 144hr visa. So we had to get a full visa if you wanted to get off in Shanghai. Celebrity allowed passengers without a visa to board, they just couldn't get off the ship in Shanghai. You should be fine.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Just so that there is record that people can search on, I just spoke to the RCI reps through their hotline and they offered no information about it what so ever.

When queried on the visa requirements the rep I was speaking with just went through what was presented on their computer screen and could only tell me that i would need to pre-arrange my china visa prior to boarding.

When queried about the 144 hour Shanghai visa free policy, they had no records of that visa policy and just continued to reiterate that I must pre-arrange my visa prior to boarding and that I would need to speak to the embassy to get that sorted.

When I mentioned that this visa is processed at disembarkation and does not require any pre-arrangements, i was told its not up to RCI whether I board or not and that i may not be allowed to board without a pre-arranged visa and that its up to the embassy or port.

This is, from what I read, not true at all. All the procedures I have read up state that I do not need to pre-arrange a visa, but I do need to satisfy the carrier (in this instance, Royal Caribbean or at least the Departing Port Security at Singapore) that I meet the criteria and display proof of my onward journey to a 3rd country after Shanghai at the time of boarding and the Shanghai General Station will process my entry at the other end.

This does not fill me with any confidence at all.

The RCI rep had no knowledge of the 144 hour Shanghai visa-free policy despite Shanghai being a terminating destination and there being numerous website references (including the official Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection website, the govt department that checks your documents on arrival) stating that the port it docks at will have a 144-hour visa-free desk available specifically for passengers requesting that type of entry into China.

The main issue is you may not even be allowed to board the ship to get to that point without a pre-arranged visa and I was not offered any information about any other passengers who may have previous attempted to enter China using this visa policy.

So a warning to everyone with a cruise ending in Shanghai, from I can tell from the phone call RCI have not updated their references in regards to visa requirements to include the 144-hour Shanghai Visa-Free Policy and will not confirm you will even be able to board the ship despite meeting the criteria.

So I would suggest not relying on it, at least until RCI can eventually confirm in some capacity that it is possible to pass security and board the ship provided you meet the requirements of the 144 Hour Visa-Free Policy.

This kinda sucks because I basically feel like I now have to spend AU$450 in visas for my family that I am fairly certain I won't need, just to be 100% sure we will be allowed to board the Mariner because even RCI don't know or haven't been updated on the visa types.

In addition to this, when the rep began reeling out the different visa requirements and got to Japan, the rep couldn't even tell me what type of visa I would need to enter Japan! Surely knowing I am Australian citizen she would know, or at least have a record stating, I don't need a visa for Japan.

So without knowing what basic visa I would need to Japan, I guess it's a bit of stretch for me to expect them to know about this 1 year old niche visa policy!

Edited by Nos_4r2

• 2 weeks later...

People concerned about eligibility for the Shanghai 144 hour visa need to determine how Shanghai is defining previous country and subsequent country. OP's "cruise will be leaving Singapore, stopping in Vietnam, Hong Kong, Japan and then ending in Shanghai." He will "then be flying back to Singapore before heading back to Australia". Does Shanghai consider that OP is coming from Singapore, or do they consider that he is coming from what is presumably an in-transit stop in Japan. On the back end, does Shanghai consider that his subsequent country is Singapore or Australia. My GUESS is that if he has a stop over in Singapore (ie clears Singapore immigration) that is his subsequent country; but if he proceeds directly to Australia without clearing Singapore immigration, then Australia would be considered his subsequent country.

Without Shanghai's definition of previous country and subsequent country, IMO it is impossible to say what is allowed and what is not allowed by Shanghai. I do not currently have a reservation for a cruise terminating in Shanghai but interested parties "can telephone the General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection or corresponding immigration inspection stations at the ports of entry where you plan to enter China. The hotline of the General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection is 0086-21-51105100. We are dedicated to providing you with information inquiry service on exit and entry policies." http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4414

And no matter what Shanghai allows, the cruise line may add additional requirements (but the cruise line may not require less than is required by Shanghai).

Shanghai class your previous port of call as your last stop before them. So the fact that they where in Japan before Shanghai allows them entry under the 144hr Visa rule as their onward journey is to a 3rd country being Singapore.

1st country - Japan

2nd country - China(Shanghai)

3rd country - Singapore

Shanghai class your previous port of call as your last stop before them. So the fact that they where in Japan before Shanghai allows them entry under the 144hr Visa rule as their onward journey is to a 3rd country being Singapore.

1st country - Japan

2nd country - China(Shanghai)

3rd country - Singapore

Can you provide written documentation on what Shanghai considers to be the previous country and the subsequent country? I have not seen that officially defined either here or elsewhere. It is not obvious to me how Shanghai treats in-transit stops. IME countries tend to ignore in-transit stops (eg when I flew from Washington IAD-FRA-KBP Kiev and stayed in-transit at FRA [did not clear Shengen immigration] Ukraine treated me as arriving directly from the US, not arriving from Germany).

Can you provide written documentation on what Shanghai considers to be the previous country and the subsequent country? I have not seen that officially defined either here or elsewhere. It is not obvious to me how Shanghai treats in-transit stops. IME countries tend to ignore in-transit stops (eg when I flew from Washington IAD-FRA-KBP Kiev and stayed in-transit at FRA [did not clear Shengen immigration] Ukraine treated me as arriving directly from the US, not arriving from Germany).

I think you're over thinking it.

I've emailed my TA but I don't understand why going to Japan either side on China makes a difference when arguable I'm coming from Singapore. I also think it's crazy to pay over $400 in visas when were in China for roughly 6 hours. Most if that at a terminal/airport

If trying to actually understand how Shanghai is applying their 3rd country requirement is over-thinking it, I suppose I'm guilty.

So far you have told BecLaskus that they need a visa even though their cruise was Singapore to Shanghai (with an in-transit stop in Japan), and then proceeding to Japan.

You have also told Nos_4r2 that they don't need a visa even though their cruise was Singapore to Shanghai (with intermediate stops) and they are returning to Singapore.

I admit that I'm not sure. Perhaps you know what you are talking about, but I haven't seen any evidence to back up your claims that in-transit stops are the determining factor. If you can't cite some actually rules I think you are under thinking it, and possibly giving some very bad advice. I'll be happy to look at any actual rules you can produce in an attempt to understand.

Thom

Where you started your journey as nothing to do with it. It's where you where immediately before docking in Shanghai and where you immediately go to from Shanghai. You're not going to Shanghai from Singapore though. You're going from Japan, you will still have to do immigration entering Japan, so you are officially in Japan.

Edited by newport dave

If trying to actually understand how Shanghai is applying their 3rd country requirement is over-thinking it, I suppose I'm guilty.

So far you have told BecLaskus that they need a visa even though their cruise was Singapore to Shanghai (with an in-transit stop in Japan), and then proceeding to Japan.

You have also told Nos_4r2 that they don't need a visa even though their cruise was Singapore to Shanghai (with intermediate stops) and they are returning to Singapore.

I admit that I'm not sure. Perhaps you know what you are talking about, but I haven't seen any evidence to back up your claims that in-transit stops are the determining factor. If you can't cite some actually rules I think you are under thinking it, and possibly giving some very bad advice. I'll be happy to look at any actual rules you can produce in an attempt to understand.

Thom

I did the Celebrity Millennium cruise in October, our port of call immediately before Shanghai was Nagasaki, Japan, our port of call immediately after Shanghai was Okinawa, Japan. We needed a Visa. If you didn't have one you weren't allowed off the ship. This was because we weren't traveling on to a 3rd country after leaving Shanghai, we were going back to Japan which China classed as still the 1st country.

Thom

Nos_4r2 don't need one because they are arriving in Shanghai, China from Japan(1st country) and then departing Shanghai, China(2nd country) to Singapore(3rd country).

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd country part relates to the country you're immediately in before docking in Shanghai, This is the 1st country. Shanghai, China is then classed as the 2nd country. The 3rd country is where you go immediately after leaving Shanghai. If it's different to the 1st country then you can take advantage of the 144hr visa ruling. If it's the same as the 1st country then unfortunately you need to purchase a full visa.

I don't think he's overthinking it. In fact "overthinking" something as important as this is probably the best way to absolutely understand it, and will ensure that the resulting decision about what to do is the correct one, even if the end decision turns out to be the easy and inexpensive route. It's better to be safe than sorry, and debating all the possibilities of how a visa requirement might be determined is likely the best way to evaluate all the possibilities.

Either way I've appreciated reading this thread so that I know the issues that can come up with all this for myself in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think he's overthinking it...
Thank you ColoradoGurl. I'm amazed and frustrated by people who claim something without any documentation or sourcing, and then when questioned apparently feel that merely regurgitating the same unscoured claims over and over proves that they are true.

That said, after several hours of searching I have found no definitive statement on how in-transit stops are considered, so I have nothing to prove the claims made incorrect. Indeed I found a website http://lawandborder.com/china-72-hour-transit-visa-waiver/ of a US Law Firm who specializes in US-Chinese Visa issues (mostly getting US visas for Chinese citizens) who also makes the claim that brief stops (such as airline transfers) satisfies the Shanghai 3rd country rule. Unfortunately I can find no sourcing to Shanghai rules on their website either, but they sound like they know what they are talking about:rolleyes:

IF (note IF) Shanghai is considering in-transit stops the determining factor in their three country rule, then BecLaskus could avoid the considerable cost and effort of getting a standard China visa by trading in their nonstop Shanghai - Japan air ticket for a routing to Japan through Hong Kong. Or if BecLaskus is merely using Japan as a transit stop on a return to the US, they could instead fly to the US either non-stop or via Korea or elsewhere. I suspect that this may be too late for BecLaskus to change air routing, but this is the type of information that could save future travelers money.

{As an aside, we went to Argentina in 2010 after they had started charging US citizens a US$160 Visa Reciprocity Fee, but at that time collected ONLY at Buenos Aires' Ezeiza International Airport. Instead we flew into Montevideo, Uruguay and spent the $320 (2*$160) on several days in lovely Colonia de Sacramento, Uruguay before taking the ferry across Rio de la Plato to Buenos Aires. Knowledge is a good thing to have:)}

We are staying in Japan for another few days then flying back to Australia. My travel agent is still looking into it. Thinking a call to the Chinese consulate could sort it all out...
Note my previous comment:
... interested parties "can telephone the General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection or corresponding immigration inspection stations at the ports of entry where you plan to enter China. The hotline of the General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection is 0086-21-51105100. We are dedicated to providing you with information inquiry service on exit and entry policies." http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4414

And no matter what Shanghai allows, the cruise line may add additional requirements (but the cruise line may not require less than is required by Shanghai).

Good Luck

Thom

I contacted RCI and they said check with visacentral and they say that you don't need a visa if you qualify for the 144 hour rule. And I guess most of us do. In from Japan , staying in Shanghai (or moving straight on) and then flying out to a third country. Companies are being evasive because big bucks are involved. We are not falling for it.

Edited by mavisdavis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

My first post on any forum so please be gentle....

I'm a uk citizen and I am doing the same cruise in March on RCI, from Singapore to Vietnam, HK, Japan then Shanghai to catch the plane back to blighty. I have simply checked the website of the Chinese embassy in London. It lists all the countries on there which are eligible for the 72Hr visa exemption and it doesn't list Australia...

It seems as though I will be fine without a visa but as a further check I will ring the embassy as well tomorrow to confirm.

I would suggest wherever you are coming from, you just get in touch with the Chinese embassy in your country to be sure...

And dont forget vaccinations too...

I can't wait - always wanted to visit that part of this wonderful world. Bon voyage travellers...

...I would suggest wherever you are coming from, you just get in touch with the Chinese embassy in your country to be sure...
Welcome to Cruise Critic!

While I strongly concur with contacting the Embassy, not even they always give the proper advice. Maybe a year ago there was a report of travelers that had been assured by the Chinese Embassy in their country that they could travel from Chengdu to Bangkok with an in-transit aircraft transfer in Lhasa (Tibet) without having a Tibet Travel Permit (in addition to a regular Chinese visa). Local authorities disagreed and they were denied boarding, significantly disrupting their travel plans and costing considerable money.

Note that AFAIK 72 hour visa-free visits to China are for air travelers only. There is a 144 hour visa-free program unique to Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, and Guangdong that does extend to other travelers in addition to air travelers; I think this is the program about which you should be inquiring.

IMO if you are flying directly back to Europe you should be entitled to use the 144 hour visa-free program, but I am certainly not the final authority:p

Enjoy your trip!

Thom

Thanks Thom,

Will bear that in mind. You would hope that the countries embassy would provide accuracy on such important matters but maybe not! Their website doesn't even mention a 144 hr rule...

Will be calling tomorrow and I'll mention it. Rather be safe than have a nasty shock as we are on a tight schedule to get the fight home anyway.

Cheers

Julie