Maya Key Private Island or Tabayana?

DopeyRN1

Both are available through Carnival. I know Tabayana is on West End beach and that there is gorgeous water and snorkeling there, but Maya Key private island rates great on Carnival and has a pool. Recommendations?

If you want to snorkel from shore and enjoy one of those picture postcard sandy beaches, then go to Tabayana. You can also do this on your own, maybe cheaper. Beachers, Bananarama, Infinity Bay, Paradise, and others have day packages that include transportation to and from Mahogany Bay where you'll dock. Same beach just a short walk from where they take you on the excursion.

If you wish to see some animals, use the pool, enjoy a rockier beach and some iron shore snorkeling, but lots more shady areas, then head for Maya Key. It's also closer to MBCC, as it's just off the coast from Coxen Hole and the airport. Only available via a ship excursion.

We were on the Dream a few weeks ago and did Maya Key - wife and daughter did beach break option, and I added the snorkeling. They enjoyed the beach, pool, and monkey encounter, and I had some great snorkeling. One of the guides asked if I wanted to see some cool stuff after talking about the squids several of us had been watching just off the dock, and he and I went out for about 45 minutes - sea cucumber, conch, sand dollar, spiny lobster, lots of good stuff. Lunch was good. Would definitely consider repeating if in Roatan again.

• 1 month later...

While I agree with most of what has been posted, I will tell you, for me, I enjoyed Tabyana more then Maya Key, for the snorkeling. The water was much calmer at Tabyana making for more ease of snorkeling.