Tortola Snorkeling Excursions - Disney Fantasy

carolina_yankee

We're sailing on the Disney Fantasy next April 22. For Tortola, I've thought about doing some sea-based snorkeling, while doing some land-based activities on St. Thomas/St. John the next day for a less schedule day. Has anybody been on the various snorkeling excursions that stop at Norman Island and the Indians through DCL? I understand those are supposed to be great snorkeling spots.

My bias actually would be to do the Aristocat non-DCL excursion, but it looks like it's all day and I would prefer a shorter excursion to not be so wiped out form sun and on-theo-go, especially since St. Thomas is the next day. So, my question is whether the DCL excursions are the same quality, just shorter, and what one is giving up by going with a shorter excursion?

Looking specifically at

Catamaran Sail & Snorkel (TT09) (Is this even a good snorkeling location - salt,peter cooper, islands?)

Tortola Sail and Snorkel (TT63)

Treasure Island Swim & Snorkel (TT44)

And of course:

Aristocats

If you have done Aristocats while on a cruise, how early to book?

Dirk

• 3 weeks later...

The VI's are an amazing place to dive/snorkel. Salt Island is home to the RMS Rhone...a ship that sank in a hurricane back in 1867. It sits in as little as 15' of water! Real neat to see. Cooper Island is another great spot. If you dive the west side keep an eye out for a small airplane wreckage. You will likely see squid, rays and turtles out at this location. Norman has some neat caves to check out...rumor has it this place was once used to hide treasure...if you find something I want half :D

Enjoy your trip!

Just from a personal opinion, I think the Indians is one of the best snorkeling spots that we have been to. A lot of people enjoy the Norman caves but for me they were just so so. A spot I liked but never hear mentioned is along Ginger Island. Saw a lot of sea life there but that might be because very few people go there. To each their own. Enjoy whatever you choose. :)

• 1 month later...

We were in Tortola in February on the NCL Gem, only a half-day in port, and so we did a ship-sponsored snorkeling excursion to the Indians. It was a wonderful snorkeling spot. The tour operator was Sail Caribbean Divers, and they did a great job. I don't know who DCL would use. If you haven't done so already, you should also ask your DCL excursion question on the DCL board.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

Big%20silver%20fish%202%201024x807_zpshyhljlpj.jpg

Fish%20Fight%202%201024x592_zpsggzzkpak.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

• 8 months later...