Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Canada

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Verizon roaming info for US ppl visiting Canada

Thought I'd just tell you guys what I learned in case anyone else was wondering.

A bunch of us are going to be arriving from the US into Vancouver. We have different flights so I was trying to figure out the cheapest way to communicate so we could meet up. Texting is the cheapest way to go.

If you're roaming and make a call when both parties are in Canada, it's 69 cents a minute to each phone.

However, Verizon considers Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico to be the same as the US when texting. If you have unlimited texting packages, then all texts are free for you. Otherwise, they're billed as if you were in the States. I don't have texting packages, so it's 15 cents/txt for me.

So, if you're just going to let people know you've arrived, figure out a meeting location, etc, it might just be cheaper to text instead of calling.

You might also want to hit *228 and update your phone to the most current tower list before you go.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Excellent post. I was wondering/worrying about that myself. Thanks

Old May 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
Excellent post. I was wondering/worrying about that myself. Thanks
And the same holds true for Canadians travelling to the US. $0.69/minute roaming on either Cingular or Verizon, but the texting is the same - Long Distance is another story! Found that out on a recent trip to Southern California.

Old May 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Thought I'd just tell you guys what I learned in case anyone else was wondering.

A bunch of us are going to be arriving from the US into Vancouver. We have different flights so I was trying to figure out the cheapest way to communicate so we could meet up. Texting is the cheapest way to go.

If you're roaming and make a call when both parties are in Canada, it's 69 cents a minute to each phone.

However, Verizon considers Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico to be the same as the US when texting. If you have unlimited texting packages, then all texts are free for you. Otherwise, they're billed as if you were in the States. I don't have texting packages, so it's 15 cents/txt for me.

So, if you're just going to let people know you've arrived, figure out a meeting location, etc, it might just be cheaper to text instead of calling.

You might also want to hit *228 and update your phone to the most current tower list before you go.
Forgive my confusion, but does the 69 cents a minute apply if you are "in" and calling another Verizon ph #?

Old May 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestsolo View Post
Forgive my confusion, but does the 69 cents a minute apply if you are "in" and calling another Verizon ph #?
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. You'll be charged for any international call.
We called our hotel in Vancouver using Verizon on Saturday ( "free long distance"). It cost us.......