Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Canada
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
codex57 codex57 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,343
Default Verizon roaming info for US ppl visiting Canada

Thought I'd just tell you guys what I learned in case anyone else was wondering.

A bunch of us are going to be arriving from the US into Vancouver. We have different flights so I was trying to figure out the cheapest way to communicate so we could meet up. Texting is the cheapest way to go.

If you're roaming and make a call when both parties are in Canada, it's 69 cents a minute to each phone.

However, Verizon considers Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico to be the same as the US when texting. If you have unlimited texting packages, then all texts are free for you. Otherwise, they're billed as if you were in the States. I don't have texting packages, so it's 15 cents/txt for me.

So, if you're just going to let people know you've arrived, figure out a meeting location, etc, it might just be cheaper to text instead of calling.

You might also want to hit *228 and update your phone to the most current tower list before you go.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
The Other Tom The Other Tom is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 122
Default

Excellent post. I was wondering/worrying about that myself. Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
jerhardt's Avatar
jerhardt jerhardt is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotsford, BC Canada
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
Excellent post. I was wondering/worrying about that myself. Thanks
And the same holds true for Canadians travelling to the US. $0.69/minute roaming on either Cingular or Verizon, but the texting is the same - Long Distance is another story! Found that out on a recent trip to Southern California.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM
midwestsolo's Avatar
midwestsolo midwestsolo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Thought I'd just tell you guys what I learned in case anyone else was wondering.

A bunch of us are going to be arriving from the US into Vancouver. We have different flights so I was trying to figure out the cheapest way to communicate so we could meet up. Texting is the cheapest way to go.

If you're roaming and make a call when both parties are in Canada, it's 69 cents a minute to each phone.

However, Verizon considers Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico to be the same as the US when texting. If you have unlimited texting packages, then all texts are free for you. Otherwise, they're billed as if you were in the States. I don't have texting packages, so it's 15 cents/txt for me.

So, if you're just going to let people know you've arrived, figure out a meeting location, etc, it might just be cheaper to text instead of calling.

You might also want to hit *228 and update your phone to the most current tower list before you go.
Forgive my confusion, but does the 69 cents a minute apply if you are "in" and calling another Verizon ph #?
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
The Other Tom The Other Tom is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestsolo View Post
Forgive my confusion, but does the 69 cents a minute apply if you are "in" and calling another Verizon ph #?
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. You'll be charged for any international call.
We called our hotel in Vancouver using Verizon on Saturday ( "free long distance"). It cost us.......
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.