Hotel didn't ask for a credit card to reserve a room. Is this unusual?

Gary K

I booked a room in Rio a few days after New Years, a very busy time of year, and the hotel (part of the Windsor chain of hotels around Rio, so they are better organized than most) didn't ask for a credit card or any form of identification when reserving the room.

Actually, the whole story is that I called to ask if they had rooms available matching specific criteria, then they immediately emailed me with a booking confirmation for that room, even though I didn't ask for a reservation just yet. Although that's not really a problem since I plan on taking that room anyway.

But I'm wondering if this is at all unusual? My guess is that they don't bother with credit card, etc. because if I don't show up, they should have no problems filling up the room around New Years? In the email they sent me, there WAS a confirmation number (although it doesn't work on their website, and they assured me that this was typical).

Edited by Gary K

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely check again. The week after NYE isn't anything like New Years week (for anything through Friday the 2nd and maybe until Sunday the 4th, I'd expect not only a requirement for a deposit but also a minimum-stay requirement), but I'd sure want to make sure of my booking so I didn't arrive and be told, "Sorry, there must be some misunderstanding. We don't have your name here . . ." Could even be an inexperienced employee.

What hotel is it? A major one?

Edited by Fattony

Definitely check again. The week after NYE isn't anything like New Years week (for anything through Friday the 2nd and maybe until Sunday the 4th, I'd expect not only a requirement for a deposit but also a minimum-stay requirement), but I'd sure want to make sure of my booking so I didn't arrive and be told, "Sorry, there must be some misunderstanding. We don't have your name here . . ." Could even be an inexperienced employee.

What hotel is it? A major one?

It's part of the Windsor chain of hotels in Rio. It's a pretty big hotel company, at least in Brazil, I believe.