Is Mobile safe ?

rockg

The lady at the hotel we are staying at, precruise, said that it would be best to leave our car at the hotel free of charge and catch a cab ($25 one way) rather than leave our car at the Mobile Terminal parking. She said it was right under an underpass and not a good place to park. Any truth to that?? I was hoping for a covered garage since it seems to be pretty new, correct??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We sail in about three weeks, so we in the planning stage now. Thanks in advance y'all.

Rock G

The lady at the hotel we are staying at, precruise, said that it would be best to leave our car at the hotel free of charge and catch a cab ($25 one way) rather than leave our car at the Mobile Terminal parking. She said it was right under an underpass and not a good place to park. Any truth to that?? I was hoping for a covered garage since it seems to be pretty new, correct??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We sail in about three weeks, so we in the planning stage now. Thanks in advance y'all.

Rock G

The terminal has a very secure parking garage connected to the terminal. Park and take the elevator right into the terminal. The reason for the lady's advice is that parking costs $60 and $75 for 4 and 5 day cruises respectively. It will be cheaper to park free at the hotel and take the cab ride but not a whole lot cheaper. The overpass she was refering to is where alot of people park free during their cruise, but there is no security and no guarantee that you won't come back to a stripped car. I have never heard of anyone actually having a problem parking there but there is always a first time for everything. Click the links below to see the terminal and garage layout.

7507.jpg

7510.jpg

7504.jpg

Excellent. I think we'll just drive to the terminal and park after seeing your posted pics. That saves me from worrying about that. I think it is worth the extra $20 to have our car there rather than lug our bags to a taxi, then lug them out and back to our car at the hotel.

Thanks...It's a done deal now !!! IOU one !!

Rock G in SC

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you also. That was what i was wondering that my self, was about where to leave the car. We are driving down from Indiana and it is nice to see some pics of the place before stressing about what we should do with the car. Now to research the hotels in the area that are close to the terminal.

• 1 month later...

for hotels, try Radisson and Ashbury Suites!

someone asked about how safe is Mobile....it is like any other town it's size....be aware of your surroundings...daytime I have always felt safe, nighttime is kind of iffy cause most of the businesses close down at night.....there is a bar district downtown. my sons went to private school there with never a problem...they always traveled in groups.

Beverly

• 4 weeks later...

We are staying at the Raddison the nite prior to the cruise. If we take the shuttle, does anyone know if it drops off close to the entrance to the terminal, and how easy is the return to the hotel? Is it worth the hassle, or wold it be preferable to just park at the terminal??

Thanks much

Sandy

I am getting SO excited!!

the raddison shuttle will drop you off right at the terminal and take you back to the hotel or the parking garage attached to the hotel, very easy and cheaper than the terminal parking.

Do they have a deal where ya stay and park?? How much is the parking there at the rad.. thanks for info

If you stay at the Radisson parking is free for the week. If you just park there and don't stay, I think the rate is now $45 for the week and you can still use the shuttle before and after your cruise. Just go to the front desk and pay for the parking and get set up for the shuttle. The hotel is only like four blocks from the terminal anyway and you could walk it if you didn't have luggage to have to schlep.

• 4 weeks later...

It was so easy being dropped off by hotel shuttle. On our return, we didn't want to wait for the shuttle because we somehow were one of the first to disembark and the shuttle was stuck in traffic - it was 5-7 min walk back to the hotel. I would walk it a gain - but not recommended if really hot - it was quite warm when we did the end of May but again - an easy walk that felt good.

Archived