Cheap Wifi

bobpell

Visited Roatan Feb. 4 on the NCL Dawn

Outside the enclosed port compound there is cheap fast wifi on the top floor of market building approx 50 yds from front gate

Password will be issued upon purchase of a small daiquiri ($1)

Lots of locals between you and the building selling wares and services.

Wine could be purchased in port compound for as little as $7. Alas corkage was $18 upon reentry to ship

Cheapest bottle of white wine on board was $34 with gratuity built in

Bobpell

• 4 weeks later...
Visited Roatan Feb. 4 on the NCL Dawn

Outside the enclosed port compound there is cheap fast wifi on the top floor of market building approx 50 yds from front gate

Password will be issued upon purchase of a small daiquiri ($1)

Lots of locals between you and the building selling wares and services.

Wine could be purchased in port compound for as little as $7. Alas corkage was $18 upon reentry to ship

Cheapest bottle of white wine on board was $34 with gratuity built in

Bobpell

Thank

Thanks for the information. I will be in Roatan next week and will check it out. What is the name of the Marketplace?

Thank

Thanks for the information. I will be in Roatan next week and will check it out. What is the name of the Marketplace?

That's the 2 story cruise port in Coxen Hole. OP were you at Fonzie's Bar?

At one time Paradise Computers had a small hut at Coxen Hole with computers as well as at the West End mall. Not sure if they're still around. It's possible that Diamonds International has wifi in Mahogany Bay but they're stingy on who gets to use it at DI shops in other ports.

Can you get a local beer with the free Wi-Fi?

Local, i.e., Honduran beer is about all that is sold on the island. Salva Vida is most popular. It's a lager similar to Bud and Miller. Not to ever be confused with a Sam Adams lager. Beer geeks would call it an adjunct lager. Same company also brews Imperial, a slightly pilsner style and probably the better of all the Honduran beers, Port Royal, an average draft style pilsner (although I haven't seen it on tap, bottle only if at all) and Barena, a light watery lager that, IMO, has no flavor--worse than drinking Corona or Coors Light. BTW the same company is the Coca-Cola bottler in Honduras.

Local, i.e., Honduran beer is about all that is sold on the island. Salva Vida is most popular. It's a lager similar to Bud and Miller. Not to ever be confused with a Sam Adams lager. Beer geeks would call it an adjunct lager. Same company also brews Imperial, a slightly pilsner style and probably the better of all the Honduran beers, Port Royal, an average draft style pilsner (although I haven't seen it on tap, bottle only if at all) and Barena, a light watery lager that, IMO, has no flavor--worse than drinking Corona or Coors Light. BTW the same company is the Coca-Cola bottler in Honduras.

Thanks! I wouldn't call myself a beer geek, but I do like to sample a local beverage when I'm in the islands. I'll definitely try one of the ones you suggested.

Jane (from the duo Dick and Jane)

Chicago, Illinois