Cunard, What's My AGE Again?

Tess of the Sea

Yeah - nearly as sure a sign as having to scroll down through three floors of the building to get to your year of birth !!! :cool:

J

Yep, there have been a few times where I thought I wasn't going to clear the cut off point. :p

It's fairly common in the UK to use date of birth as a unique identifier, particularly when it comes to doctors surgeries, etc. I learnt this all too well when I married a man named John Smith after having spent my life with a unique name that never required me to distinguish myself from others with the same name. Now, whenever I encounter confusion with a booking regarding his name, I know immediately to offer his date of birth to help troubleshoot....

Edited by LipBalmAddict

" ... Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, by their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years. Lady Dumbleton is an instance in point. To my own knowledge she has been thirty-five ever since she arrived at the age of forty, which was many years ago now". Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest. Oscar Wilde.

(Children often boast about their age ("I'm three and-a-half"), some elderly people also ("I'm eighty-seven you know"). But it seems that some in the middle bit are a little reticent about the truth (and I've no idea why, the number will increase relentlessly, regardless of one's own wishes in the matter)).

If the OP wishes to remain at less than ?0... well good luck with that :) But sadly, in this modern "no-personal-information-is-private" computer filled world, truth will out :( .

Best wishes to all "of a certain age"... :)

I love that Pepperrn, thank you.

Wouldn't you rather marvel that people cannot believe you are THAT age...than try and pretend you are forever 10-20 years younger.

I for one have reached the age whereby inbetween the 0 birthdays I sort of forget how old I am, and if asked, have to do maths in my head!!!!!

Think of all the old actresses who keep on going under the knife and looking very very very strange ,as they cannot grow old gracefully.

Helen Mirren is ?? and she looks wonderful.

As has been explained its a security thing..nothing more ,nothing less.

My BIL has just finished work, I said oh good you'll get all the post with the prepaid funeral plans coming through your door now....

It may have to do with how much unfinished business you have and where you are in your life. If you're a late bloomer with each year that passes it's, hold on a minute there... whoa, slow, not ready yet, need more time!

I know "time waits for no man (or woman)" but it's about the mindset. If you think old, then you tend to limit yourself, and other people limit you once they know "the NUMBER". At least you should be the age you look if you want. But hell, not even that, you can be 20 at any age, no matter how old you look, I mean in terms of opportunities in life and definitely NOT in terms of Botoxing yourself into a freakish caricature of what you once were.

The thing is, when reminded of your age all the time, it can be limiting. You can feel defeated by it, and by society's attitudes about it. This is much more true if you are female. I'm just getting going in life. And I think we all should be living richly every day of our lives, with a 20 year old's excitement about the future!

I am attending the birthday celebration this evening of one of the most gracious and classy ladies I have ever met. She is hosting her own 90th. She is doing it HER way.

She is my role model.

Be glad we are not required to enter our weight!!!!! That happened to me in Arizona when I took a sightseeing flight over the Canyon. The skinnier women were all in the back and were quite ill. I was in the co-pilot seat as I balanced the weight in the front with the pilot.

There are so many things in life that require angst and irritation. This is not one of them.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Although we all did respond to the need for attention.

I never pretended it was a life or death issue. It is not a need for attention. I honestly would prefer if businesses would stop using our age as an identifier. I think this is relatively new.

I kind of hoped Cunard might be a bit more tactful and remove the age thing, because as I said, it is not something that has always been done.

I also wrote this post because I thought other people might agree with me, but I see most don't. I suppose if you've done most of what you have wanted to do with your life then age would be of no concern. I suppose that's it, because I would prefer to enter my weight than my age!

Edited by Tess of the Sea

I never pretended it was a life or death issue. It is not a need for attention. I honestly would prefer if businesses would stop using our age as an identifier. I think this is relatively new.

I kind of hoped Cunard might be a bit more tactful and remove the age thing, because as I said, it is not something that has always been done.

I also wrote this post because I thought other people might agree with me, but I see most don't. I suppose if you've done most of what you have wanted to do with your life then age would be of no concern. I suppose that's it, because I would prefer to enter my weight than my age!

Tess, I can see why they need to do it. At my doctor's surgery there are three of us with the same name (no relation) and we all have the same middle name initial as well. The one thing that identified us is our birth date. This is in a small area in UK so imagine how many same names there are around the world.

It really doesn't bother me a scrap. Because of my age I have done some wonderful things which I wouldn't have done if I was younger age. So use it as a reminder of brilliant times.

I love that Pepperrn, thank you.
Dear Tess of the Sea,

My pleasure :) .

(I'm an (old and) old-fashioned sort of fellow, and don't believe that I've ever asked a lady her age. I'm also fond of "history" questions in the Golden Lion trivia quizzes, however a "friend" said that I'd "an advantage over others" as I'd "lived through most of it... " :( )

With sincere best wishes for your next voyage :)

Edited by pepperrn

I'm also fond of "history" questions in the Golden Lion trivia quizzes, however a "friend" said that I'd "an advantage over others" as I'd "lived through most of it... " :( )

With sincere best wishes for your next voyage :)

Indeed. Why do they now classify current affairs questions as history:eek:?

Mary

Tess, I can see why they need to do it. At my doctor's surgery there are three of us with the same name (no relation) and we all have the same middle name initial as well. The one thing that identified us is our birth date. This is in a small area in UK so imagine how many same names there are around the world.

They don't have one of those touch screen devices that never work do they?

With the voyage personaliser everyone has a unique log in number. Can't see why they need any more info really.

David.

Am I the only one who wishes Cunard would not remind you of you age every other second? Now I know obsession with age seems to be a thing now with corporate America. But it seems so crass to me, and rather rude.

I've traveled quite often with Cunard, but once I reach this next truly distressing age milestone, if they don't stop flashing my age in NEON :eek: lights I won't travel on Cunard anymore.

Once I hit the big blank-0 I don't want ANYBODY advertising it. So Cunard, please be kind and tasteful, and completely FORGET ABOUT our ages! Otherwise bye bye Cunard. Unless changing your age becomes as simple as changing your name, I'm NOT aging beyond blank-9! That's all there is to it!

OMG come down! Why is age so important to you? Just look at the bright side of it: by ageing we gain experience and things that bothered us when we were young are now so easy to handle. Frankly, I would not like to be twenty again! It sounds trivial, but we are all getting older and some people are already old when they are 20! :eek:

Edited by Cats2010

OMG come down! Why is age so important to you? Just look at the bright side of it: by ageing we gain experience and things that bothered us when we were young are now so easy to handle. Frankly, I would not like to be twenty again! It sounds trivial, but we are all getting older and some people are already old when they are 20! :eek:

I quite agree. It's not that I want to be younger, it's that I want to enjoy the perks of being older (experience, greater wisdom) without feeling hampered by ageism. I'm only just beginning (again) and don't want anyone implying that I must fit neatly into the specific box designated for my age group; whomever it is who has decided this must be so. We can get into all kinds of discussions about who and why and the underlying power dynamics involved, but the bottom line is, if the game involves so and so telling us what we can do at what age, I'm not playing. ;)