Vancouver Hop On Hop Off??

Cruznjuly

Bear with me if this topic has been covered already… I can't find very much current information.

We will be in Vancouver for only one night in mid July, and thought the best way to see Stanley Park, Seawall, etc. would be some sort of hop on/hop off bus or trolley.

Looking through trip advisor, it seems that reviews are either excellent or awful. I figured I would come here with hopes that people have experience recently and can give me advice as to the best way to see Stanley Park and a bit of Vancouver in a fairly limited time.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say one night, do you mean the whole day and night after disembarking or just the night before the cruise?

If it's the latter, abandon HOHO plans - they don't run very late so you won't have time to make use of them. If the former, then with the entire schedule open HOHO can be a much better way to spend the day than a straight-up tour as you can be flexible and choose how long to hang around at each stop.

I've only personally taken the Trolley; I don't think any other local posters have been able to provide a comparison of two or more HOHOs either - so hopefully some other visitors will appear with opinions.

Stanley Park is an easy place to spend half-a-day or even longer in nice weather - there's the park-specific HOHO shuttle stopping at 20+ different areas for $10; you can hire bikes; and there's always Shanks' Mare. To actually *use* the seawall the last two are your only options - no Segway tours or vehicles allowed.

Walking the entire 22km Seawall would take up most of your day - even just the stretch around the park is 9km/2 hours to walk. A couple of the HOHO stops - e.g. the Totem Poles, outside the park along English Bay, Yaletown marina - are right next to parts of the Seawall so you could walk around a bit between HOHO vehicles.

Personally I think the best way to experience the Seawall is by bike - you can access all of it and even a very inexperienced cyclist can easily cover much more ground than walking. It's also a good way to see the park interior as there are tons of well-paved paths that are easy to cycle on, albeit a little hilly at times. If you choose your hotel for the night well, you can even score free bikes (Loden, Fairmont, Georgian Court, Burrard, Executive, BW Plus, and I'm sure many others).

Thanks .

We are going to be there from about noon one day, overnight til about 6pm the next.

Would love to do bikes but my son isn't too competent yet. :(

Looking for a hotel walkable to Stanley Park since that's our main thing to see this time around.

Westin Bayshore would be about the closest to the park although the Times Square suites on Robson is also close by.

As for biking - the route is a paved dedicated flat lane all around the park and even when on any of the roads - except the causeway - cyclists have the right of way.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

I can't find any place that compares the HOHO trolley with the HOHO bus, so I'm in the same situation as CruznJuly. One does offer a 2-day pass for 1-day price, but we don't have enough time for that to be a factor in our decision making. To be sure our concern isn't overlooked, I'll post in the Ports of Call, as well as the Departures. Sure hope someone has some info for us!

I assume that you meant your son was a young'un and still learning to ride Cruznjuly, rather than a comically-inept grownup! If so, you can hire tagalongs (the 'half a bike' that goes on the back) and trailers. For a larger kid, a tandem might work too.

I can't find any place that compares the HOHO trolley with the HOHO bus, so I'm in the same situation as CruznJuly. One does offer a 2-day pass for 1-day price, but we don't have enough time for that to be a factor in our decision making. To be sure our concern isn't overlooked, I'll post in the Ports of Call, as well as the Departures. Sure hope someone has some info for us!

Let me know if anything pops up, please! :)

I assume that you meant your son was a young'un and still learning to ride Cruznjuly, rather than a comically-inept grownup! If so, you can hire tagalongs (the 'half a bike' that goes on the back) and trailers. For a larger kid, a tandem might work too.

Hahahaha

Yes he is 8. Should be sturdy by now on his wheels, but he just isn't.

Good idea about the tagalongs and tandems... Didn't even think of that!

Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...