New Panama Canal Locks Question

Ancon

The "Old" Panama Canal Locks used a combination of tow-vehicles (Mules) and the transiting ship's engines to transit thru the locks. The "Mules" also provide tensioning to keep the ship centered in the locks and avoid ship contact with the lock walls (not always successful).

From the virtual video of the "new" lock system, I saw a tug pulling a ship thru the new locks--is there also a tug to assist in stopping the ship as well? Also, there did not appear to be any visible system to keep the ship centered while entering or during the ship's transit through the lock chambers. Who assumes liability (Panama Canal or Ship Owner) for bumping or scraping the locks?

The "Old" Panama Canal Locks used a combination of tow-vehicles (Mules) and the transiting ship's engines to transit thru the locks. The "Mules" also provide tensioning to keep the ship centered in the locks and avoid ship contact with the lock walls (not always successful).

From the virtual video of the "new" lock system, I saw a tug pulling a ship thru the new locks--is there also a tug to assist in stopping the ship as well? Also, there did not appear to be any visible system to keep the ship centered while entering or during the ship's transit through the lock chambers. Who assumes liability (Panama Canal or Ship Owner) for bumping or scraping the locks?

The "mules" are capable of taking a ship through the locks without any assistance from the ship's engine or rudder by providing all the towing power, all the necessary braking as well as keeping the ship centered in the chamber. The present system of using the ship's engine in along with the mules has evolved over time, it's more efficient and ultimately can save time on each lockage. The maximum towing speed of the mules is 3mph, so breaking the initial inertia by the towing and use of the ship's engine aids tremendously in getting the ship up to 3mph.

The mules have put out to pasture as far as the new locks are concerned. The tug on the bow will provide towing while the tug on the stern will provide pushing as well as braking. Once the ship is in the chamber it will be moored to one side with the ships own lines for the raising or lowering of the water. There is fendering along the length of both walls to cushion the ship and avoid steel on concrete. Once the chambers have been equalized the ship will cast off and move towards the center of the chamber and the combination of the two tugs and ship's engine/bow thruster will move the ship into the next chamber, where the process will repeat. The system of using tugs to assist moving ships through a large lock is used a lot in Europe such as the locks of IJmuiden near Amsterdam. Those locks are just a single chamber and do not have anywhere near the 85' lift that is necessary for the Panama Canal. Everyone is very interested to see how well the tug system will work in Panama.

The pilots at the Panama Canal unlike pilots at most other places are not in an advisory capacity and assume complete navigational control of the ship. Of course this often times can be a burr under many a captain's saddle. This makes the Canal responsible for any bumps and bruises to ship. The way it works on an incident or accident where there is there is significant damage, a board of inquiry will be convened. The board's findings will asses the blame for the accident and does at times find the pilot (the Canal) at fault and therefore liable. However often times the accident can be caused as a result of a failure of the ship's engine, equipment or crew. At this point the ship can be judged at fault and responsible for the damage to the ship and the Canal itself. Also blame can be assigned proportionately and spread between the ship and the Canal.

Ancon, your screen name is intriguing... Ancon is very much a part of Canal lore... any connection?

BillB48,

Thank you for the excellent explanation of the new procedures.

Reference my screen name (Ancon)...you have a keen perception.

Association: 1) Born in Gorgas Hospital; 2) Made many trips on Panama Line ships -- SS Ancon and SS Cristobal; 3) Lived on the Atlantic side (Coco Solo); Graduated from Cristobal High School; 4) During college summer breaks, Worked for Panama Canal Commission (Locks Maintenance Division), job was overhaul maintenance on the "Mules" at the Gatun Locks.

v/r

Ancon

How neat! We share a lot of the same history! Except for the 4 years I lived in Gatun, I spent all my time on the Pacific side... you know, the other side!:) . Ditto on the Panama Line ships.

BillB48,

Your Quote: "Once the ship is in the chamber it will be moored to one side with the ships own lines for the raising or lowering of the water."

Considering the 85' lift: For such a fluid/dynamic process to occur safely during the raising/lowering process, one would think the ship's crew would require special Panama Canal training (including communication/coordination) to become proficient. Or will the Panama Canal board trained line handlers for the ships as they currently do with the canal pilots?

PS: When you lived in Gatun, did you frequent the Gatun Yacht Club or the Tarpon Club by the Spillway?http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

v/r

Ancon

BillB48,

Your Quote: "Once the ship is in the chamber it will be moored to one side with the ships own lines for the raising or lowering of the water."

Considering the 85' lift: For such a fluid/dynamic process to occur safely during the raising/lowering process, one would think the ship's crew would require special Panama Canal training (including communication/coordination) to become proficient. Or will the Panama Canal board trained line handlers for the ships as they currently do with the canal pilots?

PS: When you lived in Gatun, did you frequent the Gatun Yacht Club or the Tarpon Club by the Spillway?http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

v/r

Ancon

There will be Canal people on board in addition to the pilot to work with the ship's crew in putting out the lines. What I don't know is how many... whether it is just a few just to coordinate with the ship's crew or a gang of linehandlers as there is now.

I used to go to the old GYC and the Tarpon Club even when I didn't live in Gatun! Heck we would drive over to Pina Beach from the Pacific side just for a swim. Also at that time the KofC in Margarita was a great place for a cheap hamburger and even cheaper Jax beer!

• 3 weeks later...

BillB48,

Please, one final question. Did Panama ever pave the road to Pina Beach? As I remember, it was paved for about a mile after you passed over the Gatun Spillway Bridge (by the Tarpon Club) and then it turned into a grave road.

Ancon

I believe that along with the responsibility for the ship assumed by the Canal Authority, they will use their line handlers as they do presently. Similarly to now, just like the pilot, they are not authorized to actually touch or operate any ship's equipment, so the ship's crew will operate the deck winches, as they do currently, under direction of the Canal Authority Bosun. Ships' crews are experienced in tending mooring lines to account for tides and changes in draft from cargo operations, and while the locking is far more rapid, under the direction of the Canal bosun's they will be fine.

Deck winches have brakes that are designed to "render" or pay out when the tension gets too great, so even if the crew and the Canal personnel are not paying close enough attention, the winch will render before a mooring line pops.

BillB48,

Please, one final question. Did Panama ever pave the road to Pina Beach? As I remember, it was paved for about a mile after you passed over the Gatun Spillway Bridge (by the Tarpon Club) and then it turned into a grave road.

Ancon

Don't have any up to date info on the road to Pina... the last time I drove out there was probably in the late 70s... maybe as late as 1980 and it was still gravel. Now I was down in Panama on a little land vacation 2 years ago and went out to Sherman, while that road was paved, it might as well been a gravel road because it was in horrible shape. I imagine when the new Atlantic bridge is finished late next year/early 2017 that section of Panama will see considerable development.

I believe that along with the responsibility for the ship assumed by the Canal Authority, they will use their line handlers as they do presently. Similarly to now, just like the pilot, they are not authorized to actually touch or operate any ship's equipment, so the ship's crew will operate the deck winches, as they do currently, under direction of the Canal Authority Bosun. Ships' crews are experienced in tending mooring lines to account for tides and changes in draft from cargo operations, and while the locking is far more rapid, under the direction of the Canal bosun's they will be fine.

Deck winches have brakes that are designed to "render" or pay out when the tension gets too great, so even if the crew and the Canal personnel are not paying close enough attention, the winch will render before a mooring line pops.

The Canal Bosuns are fairly well versed in coordinating with the ship's crew the use of the ship's lines during a lockage. Don't know if you have ever had the "pleasure" of what they call a relay lockage, but briefly it is when they bring a ship into the locks with one set of locos, tie the ship off as close to the center of the chamber with the ship's lines, the first set of locos will cast off and a second set puts cables aboard completing the lockage. The first set go back to pick up another ship. Meanwhile the filling/spilling of the chamber continues with the ship maintaining position with its lines or at least trying to.

So tying ship off in each chamber should be a piece of cake as they are going to lay the ship on the wall opposite the water saving basins. In one of the Canal's videos they stated that they were just going to use four lines... bow, stern and a spring for each. I'm thinking only the Bosuns will be aboard for the bow and stern and linehandlers on the lock wall. That's probably a good thing... that way the ship won't have to secure everything that is not bolted down!!

The Canal Bosuns are fairly well versed in coordinating with the ship's crew the use of the ship's lines during a lockage. Don't know if you have ever had the "pleasure" of what they call a relay lockage, but briefly it is when they bring a ship into the locks with one set of locos, tie the ship off as close to the center of the chamber with the ship's lines, the first set of locos will cast off and a second set puts cables aboard completing the lockage. The first set go back to pick up another ship. Meanwhile the filling/spilling of the chamber continues with the ship maintaining position with its lines or at least trying to.

So tying ship off in each chamber should be a piece of cake as they are going to lay the ship on the wall opposite the water saving basins. In one of the Canal's videos they stated that they were just going to use four lines... bow, stern and a spring for each. I'm thinking only the Bosuns will be aboard for the bow and stern and linehandlers on the lock wall. That's probably a good thing... that way the ship won't have to secure everything that is not bolted down!!

The Panamanians aren't half as bad as the Egyptians. During a Suez transit, the Chief Mate was talking to one of the line handlers, and he was unscrewing a brass sounding plug from the deck with his toes as he spoke. They will steal you blind, while the PC hands are pretty good about it. Especially with a little bribe (carton of smokes).

The Panamanians aren't half as bad as the Egyptians. During a Suez transit, the Chief Mate was talking to one of the line handlers, and he was unscrewing a brass sounding plug from the deck with his toes as he spoke. They will steal you blind, while the PC hands are pretty good about it. Especially with a little bribe (carton of smokes).

When we would pull into Hong Kong during my Navy days we would stow all the brass (fire nozzles, etc) below as Mary Sue and her gang would be onboard for the duration painting the ship's exterior and those items would disappear. :p

That's classic... I guess world commerce has many outlets!!