Pearl partial need help with excursions

Lorey2007

Oh boy I have been so confused about these excursions. I thought I had made up my mind to do the railroad now after doing some research I am more conflicted than ever. Does anyone know when the Pearl will enter the Gatun Locks before getting to the lake? If I get up that morning have breakfast and then have to meet for a tour at 9-9:30 if I'm not up too early how much of the locks will I get to see?

I had to look up a map so I could get a visual feel of where the ship is and where the ferry and railroad go. The simplest map I could find was from the Kid's Britannica site. lol looks like I need to go back to school.

http://kids.britannica.com/elementar...e-Panama-Canal

So here are my options:

1-I get up late and miss going through the locks and take the 9-9:30 excursion that goes to Gamboa to get the ferry through two locks and on to Balboa then take a bus back to ship in Colon.

2-Take the railroad excursion same scenario, get excursion 9-9:30 take bus to Colon to get to railroad. Take train to Panama City then take a bus back to Colon.

3-Stay on ship while it goes back through the Gatun locks and possibly get off at Colon.

What I'm struggling with is if I don't get up early will I will miss the Pearl going through the Gatun locks.

The ship will enter the locks at about 6:30. Your excursion will tender off the ship, so you can't really miss your excursion, unless you miss the organizing and tendering, which occurs while you are in Gatun Lake. Many people will be up by 5 or 5:30, watching the approach.

The ship will enter the locks at about 6:30. Your excursion will tender off the ship, so you can't really miss your excursion, unless you miss the organizing and tendering, which occurs while you are in Gatun Lake. Many people will be up by 5 or 5:30, watching the approach.

So if I'm not up that early and want to experience the Pearl going through the locks I should stay on the ship?

So here are my options:

1-I get up late and miss going through the locks and take the 9-9:30 excursion that goes to Gamboa to get the ferry through two locks and on to Balboa then take a bus back to ship in Colon.

2-Take the railroad excursion same scenario, get excursion 9-9:30 take bus to Colon to get to railroad. Take train to Panama City then take a bus back to Colon.

3-Stay on ship while it goes back through the Gatun locks and possibly get off at Colon.

What I'm struggling with is if I don't get up early will I will miss the Pearl going through the Gatun locks.

I could not open your link, so here is my doctored map.

Yellow line... Your track from the sea on the Pearl, thru Gatun Locks to the tendering location in Gatun Lake, Black Arrow.

Black line... Railroad route.

Red line... Ferry route.

161b3sy.jpg

You HAVE to go thru the locks to get in the lake! There really isn't a NEED to do an excursion if the ship is going thru the locks...you go thru them to get to the lake, and back out again to get to Colon.....there is NOTHING in Colon but a "flea market" sort of shopping area. You do NOT want to venture out on your own there...not even sure you're allowed to!

The transit of the locks is an excursion unto itself. Lots of info is given during the entry going into the lake. Roam the ship..see the sights from all sides and deck levels. The trip back OUT of the lake is less crowded, as many will be off the ship at that point...

I could not open your link, so here is my doctored map.

Yellow line... Your track from the sea on the Pearl, thru Gatun Locks to the tendering location in Gatun Lake, Black Arrow.

Black line... Railroad route.

Red line... Ferry route.

161b3sy.jpg

Thanks Bill the map is the same one I found on the Kids Britannica lol.

You HAVE to go thru the locks to get in the lake! There really isn't a NEED to do an excursion if the ship is going thru the locks...you go thru them to get to the lake, and back out again to get to Colon.....there is NOTHING in Colon but a "flea market" sort of shopping area. You do NOT want to venture out on your own there...not even sure you're allowed to!

The transit of the locks is an excursion unto itself. Lots of info is given during the entry going into the lake. Roam the ship..see the sights from all sides and deck levels. The trip back OUT of the lake is less crowded, as many will be off the ship at that point...

Thanks I've pretty much decided to stay on the ship so I can experience the Pearl going back through the locks as I'll probably have missed it in the morning entering the lake.;)