Cabs in Villefranche port?

fly gal

Does anyone know if cabs/Uber are easily accessible in the Villefranche port?

We have a food tour in Nice and our guide suggested a cab as the easiest way to get to the meeting point.

I can pre-book transport if needed, but if cabs/uber were easy to get it wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks.

Waiting taxis are hit or miss in the south of France and its risky to depend on their availability. Uber is a good option...but again,,,,hit or miss on how long until you can get a car out to Villefranche. As to pre booking, keep in mind that this is a tender port...subject to all the uncertainties of any tender port. We gather that you are on Celebrity...and on that line you have to deal with many passengers who will have priority tendering (tours, Elites, Elite+, suites, etc). If all else fails, it is easy to get to Nice via public transport....either train or bus. But each of these options does involve some walking (and stairs) from the pier.

Hank

I just received the quote for the transportation (15 minute ride) they wanted 85 Euros! Ummm, no.

We can handle stairs and walking, just wanted to buffer time with tendering.

Yes, I'm on Celebrity.

Anyone know if the tendering at this port is like Juneau where you need to get a ticket or Coco Cay where you simply get in line?

I'm irritated I should be Elite, but with the new captains club system I'm 8 points away from it.

I just received the quote for the transportation (15 minute ride) they wanted 85 Euros! Ummm, no.

We can handle stairs and walking, just wanted to buffer time with tendering.

Yes, I'm on Celebrity.

Anyone know if the tendering at this port is like Juneau where you need to get a ticket or Coco Cay where you simply get in line?

I'm irritated I should be Elite, but with the new captains club system I'm 8 points away from it.

The normal procedure on Celebrity is to ask everyone to report to a specific lounge where they receive a tender ticket. You then wait in that area until they call your ticket. If you need to ashore early, its usually wise to go to the correct lounge early :).

The stairs I mentioned are if you are heading to the train station. For the bus (the #100 is the most frequent option) you have to hike up a few streets (uphill) to the nearest bus stop. Buses run more frequently and cost less (1.5€). But the bus stops in Nice are at different locations then the train station...so your choice of transport should consider where you meet your tour.

We do not understand the 85 Euro quote..unless you planned on booking a Rolls Royce :). So if you see any taxis when you get ashore you might ask them how much to take you into Nice. Many of the taxis will probably refuse the fare...because they would prefer a longer haul or giving you a long tour.

Hank

I know! I was shocked at the 85 Euro quote. Maybe she thought it was roundtrip? :confused: But I didn't ask for that, only one way. From the research I have gathered from the port to the meeting spot (Neuf Lignes Obliques by the Rusty Poles Sculpture) it is a 15 minute ride. That must be one sweet Rolls Royce. lol

We will definitely find out onboard about what to do to get a tender to make our 9:45am tour. I think getting on land by 8:45am should be good.

If we do decide to take the bus (I do not need the train) how long is the walk to the stop? And how much time should I buffer given my destination at Rusty Poles Sculpture?

Thanks for help, Hank! :)

I know! I was shocked at the 85 Euro quote. Maybe she thought it was roundtrip? :confused: But I didn't ask for that, only one way. From the research I have gathered from the port to the meeting spot (Neuf Lignes Obliques by the Rusty Poles Sculpture) it is a 15 minute ride. That must be one sweet Rolls Royce. lol

We will definitely find out onboard about what to do to get a tender to make our 9:45am tour. I think getting on land by 8:45am should be good.

If we do decide to take the bus (I do not need the train) how long is the walk to the stop? And how much time should I buffer given my destination at Rusty Poles Sculpture?

Thanks for help, Hank! :)

ARGH! That location (near the water) is not really close to either bus or train. In your situation, if we had the extra time, we would take the bus, hop off just North of the old town, walk through the old town to the Flower Market at the Cours Selaya (we love this place) and then its a short walk to your meeting spot. We have not used all the bus stops of the #100 (hopefully somebody else will jump in with more info) but where we normally get off is on the North side of the old town which would be about a 10-15 min walk to where you need to go. The train station is even further (at least 15-20 min walk). If you took the train, you could walk over to the Tram (T1) and take that to the stop near the water....which is very close to your meeting spot. I think many local tours like that meeting location because its right along the water (easy to find). DW and I were recently (April) in Nice and actually walked right by that spot...and nearly got blown away (it was a very windy day :).

Hank

ARGH! That location (near the water) is not really close to either bus or train. In your situation, if we had the extra time, we would take the bus, hop off just North of the old town, walk through the old town to the Flower Market at the Cours Selaya (we love this place) and then its a short walk to your meeting spot. We have not used all the bus stops of the #100 (hopefully somebody else will jump in with more info) but where we normally get off is on the North side of the old town which would be about a 10-15 min walk to where you need to go. The train station is even further (at least 15-20 min walk). If you took the train, you could walk over to the Tram (T1) and take that to the stop near the water....which is very close to your meeting spot. I think many local tours like that meeting location because its right along the water (easy to find). DW and I were recently (April) in Nice and actually walked right by that spot...and nearly got blown away (it was a very windy day :).

Hank

Well after I told the company no way to their 85 Euros quote, they attempted to say it was an error and that the rate was 65 Euros. Still NO! I did a fare estimate of Uber and it was 25 Euro. Get real, I may be a tourist but I'm not that gullible.

Well, I'm thinking right now we will try to get a cab/Uber when we get to port. We won't try too long, so if that fails we can catch the bus.

A 15 minute walk will be just fine. If I've read correctly, the bus ride should be around 10 minutes. I'll buffer in an hour for transport since I'm always a nervous nelly and I can't stand to be late. :)

Well after I told the company no way to their 85 Euros quote, they attempted to say it was an error and that the rate was 65 Euros. Still NO! I did a fare estimate of Uber and it was 25 Euro. Get real, I may be a tourist but I'm not that gullible.

Well, I'm thinking right now we will try to get a cab/Uber when we get to port. We won't try too long, so if that fails we can catch the bus.

A 15 minute walk will be just fine. If I've read correctly, the bus ride should be around 10 minutes. I'll buffer in an hour for transport since I'm always a nervous nelly and I can't stand to be late. :)

Sounds like a good plan and you do have lots of options (uber, taxi, bus, train). 10-15 min for the bus to Nice is right...depending on the morning traffic. The train is also fast...but the wait for the next train can be a lot longer then the next bus.

Hank

Not sure who gave you the quote for the taxi. Try friend-in-france.com

They charge 45E for the transfer from Villefranche to the Nice airport. It should be a lot less to drop you off at the flower market in Nice.

Also, the traffic between Villefranche and Nice can be very heavy, so allow plenty of time, whether by bus or car, to get to your tour.

Edited by marazul

• 2 weeks later...