Elite Princess Cruiser...Going Solo...

SingleAndGayInLA

45 year old guy in Los Angeles here...new to posting on CC (I've hovered for ages...just not posted), but NOT new to cruising. My ex-partner and I sailed on Princess nearly two dozen times. Now that my mourning period for that relationship is over I'm considering cruising solo.

I know what to expect from a cruise, and I grasp that one can't expect to meet any particular people onboard...but, I have a specific question.

In the Princess Patter (Daily Bulletin) there would often be gatherings called "Single Meetup" or something like that. I had always thought that was meant for people who were sailing as singles (and paying the single supplement, the whole deal), so they could meet other people traveling the same way.

But when I took a newbie on a cruise to Alaska last summer, she looked at the Patter and said, "No, no...that's for singles...looking for love...men and women."

Now, neither reality will rock my world...but, if I AM going to do a solo cruise, it'd be nice to know that the "singles meetup" is, indeed, meant for people traveling as singles, not people looking for a Speed Dating kind of experience.

Any info from you pros?

I have seen BDJam throwing down a lot of Princess knowledge. I thought he might have a word or two.

Thanks.

I am also elite on Princess so have done a few cruises. I think your friend is correct about the singles get together. However, Princess also always have meetings for LGBT or "friends of Dorothy". These meetings are just social and not really intended for people looking for love. Usually they are gay couples. I think in all instances I have been the only single at these meetings. I hope this helps.

I am also elite on Princess so have done a few cruises. I think your friend is correct about the singles get together. However, Princess also always have meetings for LGBT or "friends of Dorothy". These meetings are just social and not really intended for people looking for love. Usually they are gay couples. I think in all instances I have been the only single at these meetings. I hope this helps.

Thanks whw.

Yes, I know all about the FOD's (or Rainbow Meetups, etc.). They're pretty hit-and-miss. In Alaska last summer there were four people in attendance at the first one, which, oddly, they held pretty much at Sailaway time, leading to less attendees, since at that point most people are either on deck or following their own debarkation rituals.

I think that low attendance gave the Cruise Director a good reason to schedule very few FOD's during that cruise...and at rotten times.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and do a "Gay Cruise". I wish Princess had one.

I wonder if the NCL breakaway, with their studio cabins, have a higher gay ratio.

To clarify..I'm not looking for a "hookup" cruise.

But, being a guy who most people think is straight upon meeting me, I can't stand the early Traditional Dining conversation where women at the table try to set me up with their daughter. I hate to have to make as part of my intro that I'm gay. When I traveled as half of a two-man couple, it seemed to be a non-issue pretty quickly.

Thanks for responding though.

I think that low attendance gave the Cruise Director a good reason to schedule very few FOD's during that cruise...and at rotten times.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and do a "Gay Cruise". I wish Princess had one.

Don't always assume that the Cruise Director stops scheduling the LGBT mixer because of low attendance. Last April I was with 5 others, and there were about 2 dozen attendees at our first LGBT mixer (that was listed in the patter). I think the Princess coordinator was a bit shocked by the attendance and banter we displayed, since we had no official LGBT mixers after that one.:(

And regarding doing a "gay cruise", there is a big gay group doing their Mexican Riviera cruise in October, and they are using the Golden Princess. Might want to check it out?

I know what you mean and it is hit and miss with the cruise directors as to when and where the meetings are scheduled. You might find anytime dining better but then again you may have more people try to set you up. I have had a few ladies overtly show interest but for the most part being gay on Princess does not seem to be an issue. I have had a number of couple (straight) casually bring up gay friends as a way of letting me know. I have been very happy with how people seem to respond to gays. I have never been inclined to do a gay cruise. When I look at them it just seems that you are paying more for everything to be with a lot of gay people. I really do not see the point.

• 2 weeks later...

As you're "Elite" status, obviously you've cruised enough times to know the basic game plan. Whether it be the singles get together or the LBGT get together, there are some folks at both looking to "hook up" and some there to just to meet other folks, have a good time and hang out together. Go to both...... I don't think it will take you long to realize who's there and what their intentions are.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems Princess has now settled on 5pm in the Wheelhouse as the GLBT get together and it is published everyday. (at least it has been on out last 5 cruises) Our last cruise out of houston on the 5th of Apr had about 20+ at the gathering almost every night.

Give it a try, there were several singles in attendance who were with friends, and just very friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

Princess travelers are usually very accepting so hang out at the Wheelhouse or Crooners and engage people in conversation. Most will be open to talking and you might meet life long cruise friends, gay or straight. We did! And still do.

Yeah, it's easier being two guys for them to "get it" but drop a hint early in the conversation and they will understand.

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

Seems Princess has now settled on 5pm in the Wheelhouse as the GLBT get together and it is published everyday.

On our last 2 Princess cruises we also meet at the Wheelhouse Pub with a large turnout. If you want someone to recognize your gay just wear some rainbow pin and they may not ask. We had our best times on the west coast Mexican cruises.

Edited by CrusingJoe

I have seen BDJam throwing down a lot of Princess knowledge. I thought he might have a word or two.

Thanks.

Hello - sorry to come in on the subject so late. Thanks for the complement.

From what I've seen at Princess, I think you've gotten a pretty good idea from the previous posts on this thread. The singles "Mingles" seem to be pretty much for people who are single (and not necessarily traveling solo) and who are looking for connections. The couple of meets that I cruised by in the past seemed to be a lot of older women who were sailing alone. Perhaps looking for gentlemen companions?

The Rainbow Get Together meets are advertised for the gay folks and I think that the opinion that they are held at 5:00 in the Wheelhouse seems to be about right. They are definitely hit or miss. When I was on Emerald Princess - a big ship sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, I was the only one to show up. When I sailed Sapphire Princess on a seven day to Mexico there were about 30 of us. The number of people showing up doesn't make much of a difference in the number of meets I think...because on that cruise they had only two "official" meets. So we just met every night before dinner in the Wheelhouse...the group growing and growing each evening.

So I think the best advice is just to go and see what's up...you never know. And if the stars are aligned, you might just find your next boyfriend! And if you do I'll hate you :D

There were about 15-18 on our recent cruise on the Ruby and the gathering was held in Adagio usually around 530pm.

Mike

Maybe they use Adagio on the bigger ships because that was the same location that was used when I was on Emerald Princess...you and I will have to check it out ;)

Edited by bdjam

My ex-partner and I sailed on Princess nearly two dozen times. Now that my mourning period for that relationship is over I'm considering cruising solo.

In the Princess Patter there would often be gatherings called "Single Meetup" or something like that. I had always thought that was meant for people who were sailing as singles (and paying the single supplement, the whole deal), so they could meet other people traveling the same way.

But when I took a newbie on a cruise to Alaska last summer, she looked at the Patter and said, "No, no...that's for singles...looking for love...men and women."

Now, neither reality will rock my world...but, if I AM going to do a solo cruise, it'd be nice to know that the "singles meetup" is, indeed, meant for people traveling as singles, not people looking for a Speed Dating kind of experience.

Any info from you pros?

In all my sailings, I have never attended a solo gathering as you describe. I would not assume that it will only be people who are traveling solo though. I believe it would attract some who are sharing cabins as well. I have always (wrongly or not) assumed it was a "lonely hearts club", or a group of singles looking to "share meals" or "whatever" with someone they find compatible.

Now my curiosity is peaked and I am going to check it out (knowing that every group will be different, depending on who attends). Mostly I am interested in ballroom dance partners (male or female), but can find them hanging out in any of the lounges that offer live music.

Most of my cruises have been with friends, or my Mom, but I have cruised solo numerous times and never had a problem meeting people (single or coupled) if I wanted. I never look for someone to 'spend the voyage with' as I enjoy my own company and (perhaps selfishly) don't want to compromise my time on a ship.

I usually try to stop in at one of the GBLT gatherings (meetings always conjure up a gavel and minutes from the prior meeting, with a president presiding, with an agenda). It's usually not hard for me to spot other gays on board, but I certainly don't restrict myself to meeting just gay people, quite the contrary.

I've done numerous charters and enjoyed them, as well as having been part of a group such as Pied Piper. I've enjoyed them all. I am looking forward to doing the upcoming Atlantis sailing on the Golden Princess. I signed up for the "share a cabin program", and hope to get a cabin to myself, though sharing will be fine as well.

Anyway, before I ramble on more...I say check out the solo get-together, as well as the GBLT gathering, and be open to meeting new people anywhere on the ship. If you make yourself receptive, you'll have no problem meeting people at all ;). A smile will open up many opportunities :)!

Enjoy your cruise, David

Maybe they use Adagio on the bigger ships because that was the same location that was used when I was on Emerald Princess...you and I will have to check it out ;)

We will certainly do that.;)

Mike:)

Hi, quick thought from someone who uses multiple websites before cruising, there is another site ****************** specifically for LGBT community where you can post your upcoming cruises. I have had others contact me and we have met on board. I have a partner but it's always great to meet new people.

Another thought is that I have found the Celebrity transatlantics to have a high percentage of family...........Dave