RC Official App retired

On my iPhone updates today, the Royal Official App showed an update needed. When I read the details of the App, it said it was officially retired and no longer supported. Didn't use it that much. Mostly used for quick look at Deck plans by ship.

6d2bfb3c0735f755db05b27e1fafa517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

The app seems to be working on my Android phone. Maybe it is unique to I phone

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

After updating the App, the heading of App indicates it is a retried App and no longer supported.

The App continues to work but after next iOS update, who knows how much longer it works. I sure wouldn't use it to book a Cruise.

910f037913cc08729e3bc8bfb6c5cfed.jpg

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

I thought I read somewhere that they are investing a lot into their mobile experience and would be introducing a brand new app/mobile experience sometime this year and have it work on every ship in the next coming years. If I remember correctly, they stated the app will have all the features of Royal IQ plus more.

Looking through my fuzzy memory, I believe they hired the same guy who helped create the My Disney Experience and Magic Band for Walt Disney World.

I was just on these boards to check out if there was an onboard app to use. As an iPhone user I am guessing not then. It seems strange RCCL is si far behind Disney and even Carnival. LOVE their onboard apps.

Some cruise line rely on browser-based applications, since they are more platform-independent.

If the product is more information based that just has simple HDMI5 content then a mobile browser experience is perfectly fine. Deck plans and adding reservation can all be done simply by using a smartphone browser.

However, if the experience calls for more interactive content, it may require more hardware control (such as vibration or notification alerts, using the camera or NFC antenna, etc), or go beyond a browsers limitations to accomplish specific tasks (such as instant messaging or call features). This is why a separate phone based application is necessary, simply because of the limitation of a browser based platform may not deliver the same experience or control.

If the product is more information based that just has simple HDMI5 content then a mobile browser experience is perfectly fine. Deck plans and adding reservation can all be done simply by using a smartphone browser.

However, if the experience calls for more interactive content, it may require more hardware control (such as vibration or notification alerts, using the camera or NFC antenna, etc), or go beyond a browsers limitations to accomplish specific tasks (such as instant messaging or call features). This is why a separate phone based application is necessary, simply because of the limitation of a browser based platform may not deliver the same experience or control.

Huh ???

I think that's really kind of the point though. These apps really don't need to be as invasive as all that. This is not something that we do all the time that is a part of our everyday routine and that needs to attract our attention when something happens that is relatively unexpected. Generally speaking people plan ahead what they're going to do on vacation or deliberately do not plan ahead. And I think a lot of people would be relatively opposed to the idea of being tracked and or being tagged by a vibration while they're on vacation.

Don't get me wrong. There are people who would like such things but I think the cost of maintaining an app for at least two if not three different platforms is higher than would be justified by the advantages of those particular technical features that you mentioned.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I have used the Disney App many times and love it. Nice to get FastPass and dinner reservations right there from the App. See wait times for any ride.

Though that's a great example of an app that is unnecessary, given​ that I'm able to do everything I can do in the app just about as well via a browser on my tablet.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Though that's a great example of an app that is unnecessary, given​ that I'm able to do everything I can do in the app just about as well via a browser on my tablet.

Can you make dinning times in real time (MTD) using a browser??? The Disney App you can.

Can you reserve a time for Flowrider in real time? The Disney App you can FastPass most rides.

Can you see wait times for Flowrider online? The Disney App allows you to see wait times in real time.

Can you make ... ???

I was comparing the browser version of MDE to the MDE app. They offer the same capabilities. The Disney app works the same whether you're using the actual app or using a browser.

Edited by bUU

I was comparing the browser version of MDE to the MDE app. They offer the same capabilities. The Disney app works the same whether you're using the actual app or using a browser.

To me, an App in my phone is a lot more convenient than using a browser on my phone.

bUU, I see what you're saying. However, the culture of smartphone use is shifting rapidly. There is high demand for a more interactive mobile experience in just about every market, and this is why RCI is investing more in this department and a new app code named Excalibur. Google "Royal Caribbean Excalibur." They are actually falling behind a bit compared to other cruise lines.

And like I said before, an app can do more than a mobile website. A website can't remind you when your show or dinner reservation is with an alert (hence the vibration controls). A browser can't enable you to make calls to other people on or off the ship, or send text messages to other cruise passengers. And now with Siri and Google Assistant, we could make reservation with just a voice command. And most of these feature require the app the stay on in the background, which a browser cannot.

A browser based web experience can always be kept in the mix for those who chose other phone platforms to buy. But for those who have an Android or iPhone, which is the vast majority, I don't see why Royal shouldn't fallow the masses and stay competitive by offering them a decent product.

To me, an App in my phone is a lot more convenient than using a browser on my phone.

A little bit, sure ... go back and read what I wrote originally. I didn't say that they are the exact same experience but rather that they are so close that the cost of maintaining multiple platforms is questionable.

bUU, I see what you're saying. However, the culture of smartphone use is shifting rapidly.
And maybe shifting again. HTML5 is a game changer. There are a couple of "apps" on my tablet that are really just thin wrappers around browser functionality.

And maybe shifting again. HTML5 is a game changer. There are a couple of "apps" on my tablet that are really just thin wrappers around browser functionality.

Clueless regarding HTML5.

As was stated, people are becoming more dependent upon apps. One may manage bank accounts, money markets , pay bills, deposit checks, make reservations, check internet speeds, manage flight reservations, calculate tips, see conversions, and so much more, all from Apps. Sure, maybe they are tied into a website, but that is not what the end user sees.

I would like to know more regarding HTML5.

You are absolutely right. There are simple apps that pretty much are glorified web pages. But these are not highly developed applications. And you seem to be comparing a lot to web browsers but seem to be forgetting that a smartphone browser has its limitations. Many limitations, as a matter of fact. A smartphone browser cannot use many of the phone's hardware features like dedicated apps can do, hence the reason for standalone applications.

And you also seem to be worried about RCI investing into their mobile experience. In this day and age, if they don't they may lose possibly quite a bit of market share to their competitors who have great mobile experiences. Why? Because the mobile experience is still an expanding demand from today's customers.

You seem to be making a lot of presumptions about what I'm worried about. Bad idea.

Again: One of the best examples of this kind of app is My Disney Experience... And it is basically the same as an app as it is within a browser, even a mobile phone browser.

Edited by bUU