Katakolon

A bit stuck on what to do in Katakolon :o A few questions.

1) What is Olympia like? Would it be a let down after Ephesus, which really bowled us over?

2) Has anyone done the Traditional Farm & Folk Dance excursion?

3)What is Katakolon itself like (sorry, I may have asked this before :o)

nb - not interested in the wine tasting trip as we don't like red wine (well, truth to tell, it doesn't like me :rolleyes:)

Hi Linda

Are you on board from this Friday. we are are on for two weeks. We go as a family, its a nice place, very small, but perfect for a walk along the the small street and then a few beers at the front. Is there a cruise forum meet up? We will be on board with our daughter so you will see us by the pool no doubt. think a train used to run to Olympia so you could do on your own, a friend visited the museum at the end of teh street and found it really good.

We did a beach transfer trip in May at Katakolon which was not too good as it was too wild to go in the sea, or sit out on the beds. Most of us on the trip sat in a bar making one drink last till time for the coach to come back.

When we got back into town, we had a wander along the main street. Plenty of shops but usually had the seller watching and if you stopped to look at anything they were straight out wanting a sale.

Maybe it was our disappointment with the beach, but we just wanted to get back on board.

There's really only one street but quite a variety of shops. We didn't really have any hassle from shopkeepers (unlike Bodrum!). On one side of the street some of the shops lead through to cafes looking out to the harbour. There was a train running to Olympia when we were there a few years ago. It's a very small place but pleasant if you just want a relaxing day.

It's not on the scale or has the impact of Ephesus Linda - or at least I didn't think so but we found Olympia surprisingly interesting although I would hesitate to strongly recommend it in case you don't like it! We all have such differing tastes. ;)

We had thought to do it ourselves the first time we went intending to catch the train. However, they were on strike! So that fairly effectively scuppered our plans. Do research the timetable though as they don't run too frequently - it's a branch line and starts in Katakolon. The station (well garage looking building) is at the end of the High Street. There are taxis but they seemed quite expensive to me although if you could link up with another couple it might be more cost effective. But check how many more ships are in with you. If there are others there will be a lot of pressure on limited resources like taxis or indeed the train. It's a small place!

On the next occasion we went they were lighting the Olympic flame for the Winter Olympics so there were no morning excursions although our friends went on the train, saw the flame lit but that was all. They had to leave the site then and because of concern about getting the train back hadn't time to go back in to see round the site properly. We decided because of the time restrictions to take the Thomson afternoon trip and were glad we did as I think the guide brought the site to life for us and we wouldn't have got as much out of the visit without one. We really enjoyed it much more than we'd expected.

As already mentioned, Katakolon is small almost literally a one street town but there is a good selection of tourist shops - I loved the Olive Wood shop - and there is an attractive waterfront with cafes to relax and have a drink or eat. There is a pebbly 'beach' for swimming to the left of the pier but it's not easy getting in and uncomfortable sitting on the pebbles! To the right of the dock is a bay of damp, compacted sand so you can do a decent walk if you want but it's nothing very special.

In the summer there is a little land train which we took on one visit and got off at the stop for the beach (not the one in Katakolon). It was a walk down a roadway/track about a quarter of a mile I'd guess but the beach there is lovely - picturesque, rocky outcrops but sand too. It has beach furniture and cafes in a nice elevated position overlooking the beach. But there's nothing else there. It would have to be a nice day to go to settle there for a couple of hours or so.

When we went this year rather than repeat what we'd done before, we took a ship's transfer to a beach. If you need to know where that was I can look it up but it was about 30 minutes away. It was OK but not brill. We managed to get a swim but frankly we both said we'd have preferred going back to the little beach from the land train - and will do that again should we end up in a Katakolon again.

Katakolon is pretty and a nice stop - but for a couple of hours or so. Unless you're happy to make it a lazy kind of day taking advantage of a quiet ship, you could do with doing something else other than just Katakolon imo.

Hope that helps! :)

I agree with Kruz Olympia depends on your personal taste. We were quite disappointed as many of the buildings are reduced to rubble and it seemed a shame to me that no attempt had been made to try to reconstruct them even partially. Don't get me wrong some areas have been retained and some minor work here and there but there are large areas where they are just a jumble of rocks. How cool it would be if these could be put back together. It would give you a great sense of what life must have been like.

Like most other historical sites anything remotely interesting is removed and placed in a museum. Whilst I understand that the smaller exhibits would probably walk if left outside I don't understand why large statues are kept in doors.

Having said all that its a very peaceful place and it was interesting to see the arena. I also agree that it is worth paying for a trip. The guide does give useful info. Im not sure I would have fully understood if we had done a DIY.

I thought Katakolon was quite nice with shops and bars.

When we were there last year we strolled down the street, about a hundred yards from the 1st shop on your right hand side was a jewellery shop, a man came out and started chatting to us, I told him that I didn't have any money as we were just having a walk, but it ended up he showed us photos of him running with the Olympic torch when he was younger , and then he signed it for us, what a lovely wee man, I will go see him next time I'm back there

Muffiinman

I did the Olympia excursion when I stopped at Katakolon 2 years ago and really enjoyed it, totally different to Ephesus but I think that was partly why I enjoyed it. I thought the guide we had was very good, gave some excellent background and I'd never have known where they lit the flame if she hadn't pointed it out. The museum there was also good.

There was enough time when we got back to Katakolon for a quick stroll down the main street to the shops, and as I recall there was an internet cafe whose rates were pretty cheap there.

I'm not sure I'd do the Olympia excursion again if I went to Katakolon a second time, but I'm glad I did the trip.

Kruzseeka has summed up Katakolon very well as usual!

Only been once, lucky enough to get the little train to Olympia quite early in the morning and found it a nice experience.

We didn't have a guide, so a lot of it went over our heads, but enjoyed the experience of being there, especially as it is in such an attractive setting. I wouldn't say it has a lot of wow factor, but plenty of charm.

kate