Hilo - drive times?

sjlogghe

We will be in Hilo from 8 am - 5 pm. I plan on renting a car, I figure we'll probably actually have it rented by about 9 am and return it around 3:30-4 pm. In researching things to do, I have a couple on my "must do" list:

Volcano National Park

Punaluu black sand beach

Mauna Loa macadamia nut factory

Possibly the orchid farm I saw mentioned, which I think is on the way back from VNP.

I'm just wondering if these will all be doable ...

Is VNP about an hour from rental car place? How much farther is Punaluu? I believe I saw Mauna Loa is easily accessed on the way to/from VNP.

I will be traveling with my mom and godmother, who are both in their 70's and can't handle a lot of walking - so we will be doing mostly driving in VNP. I might get out and take a short hike myself, but otherwise we'll primarily be in the car. Any advice on VNP drives to take or skip out on?

They like beaches, and ideally think we'd like to spend maybe an hour on the beach. I guess if we don't make the hour we'd be ok - I just want to make sure we see the black sand. I don't think any of us have seen anything like it before!

Does this sound like it'd be doable?? Any advice on driving, directions, or anything else is always appreciated. Thanks!!

Edited by sjlogghe

It is very doable. VNP is about 40 minutes from Hilo. Punaluu is approx. another 30 minutes past VNP. You can spend time on the beach and perhaps you will even see turtles. On the way back down the volcano on the way back to Hilo you will see the orchid farm on the right hand side of the road. This is really a very large greenhouse with more orchids than you can imagine. Bring your cameras. This stop does not take a long time, but is well worth the stop. And, the Mauna Loa macnut factory is back in Hilo....again on the right hand side on the outskirts of town. An easy stop before heading back to the airport to return the car.

We will be in Hilo from 8 am - 5 pm. I plan on renting a car, I figure we'll probably actually have it rented by about 9 am and return it around 3:30-4 pm. In researching things to do, I have a couple on my "must do" list:

Volcano National Park

Punaluu black sand beach

Mauna Loa macadamia nut factory

Possibly the orchid farm I saw mentioned, which I think is on the way back from VNP.

I'm just wondering if these will all be doable ...

Is VNP about an hour from rental car place? How much farther is Punaluu? I believe I saw Mauna Loa is easily accessed on the way to/from VNP.

I will be traveling with my mom and godmother, who are both in their 70's and can't handle a lot of walking - so we will be doing mostly driving in VNP. I might get out and take a short hike myself, but otherwise we'll primarily be in the car. Any advice on VNP drives to take or skip out on?

They like beaches, and ideally think we'd like to spend maybe an hour on the beach. I guess if we don't make the hour we'd be ok - I just want to make sure we see the black sand. I don't think any of us have seen anything like it before!

Does this sound like it'd be doable?? Any advice on driving, directions, or anything else is always appreciated. Thanks!!

Should have plenty of time. I'd add another stop thats on the way. I really enjoyed walking through the lava tubes and lava fields. This was my favorite stop on the island. Check out the link below..

http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hi?Hikes.thurston

Thanks for the replies!

I didn't even think about the black sand beach being hot - thanks for the heads up. That gives us a bit of extra time, since we won't be staying long!

Will be adding the lava tubes to our itinerary! And my godmother used to own a greenhouse/landscaping business, so I'm sure the orchid place will be a must see for her.

Thanks again for helping!

Edited by sjlogghe

• 3 weeks later...