Volcano national park

Acrusa

We spent a few days there and no one had any issues. Didn't notice sulphur smell during time there. It's a neat park make sure to see the caldera in the evening so you can see the lava glow. Also if you get a chance you absolutely must go see observatory...two levels higher elevation children under 16 and folks with health issues can't go. Usually tours will also provide you with jackets your gonna need as even first level is super cold

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jmckay331
Misspellings

Also if you get a chance you absolutely must go see observatory...two levels higher elevation children under 16 and folks with health issues can't go. Usually tours will also provide you with jackets your gonna need as even first level is super cold

Just for clarification - it sounds like you are referring to the Mauna Kea Summit Tour - but not sure what 'two levels higher elevation' means - maybe that the the Visitor's Centre is at 9,200 ft, and second level is the summit which is close to 14,000 ft. ?

Just for clarification - it sounds like you are referring to the Mauna Kea Summit Tour - but not sure what 'two levels higher elevation' means - maybe that the the Visitor's Centre is at 9,200 ft, and second level is the summit which is close to 14,000 ft. ?

Yes I couldn't remember names or elevations while typing response haha thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We've been to Vol Nat Park several times. One time the winds changed and visibility in the area of the steam vents dropped to less than 50 yards. The sulphur odour was extremely strong, resulting in the rangers closing part of the park. That being said none of us suffered any ill effects. If it happens you can usually move down to the semi tropical side of the park where the climate is a bit different, visit the Thurston Lava tube and drive along Chain of Craters road.

As far as Mauna Loa goes it can sometimes be difficult to get to the summit due to snow and ice on the road. It can also be very cold.

As far as Mauna Loa goes it can sometimes be difficult to get to the summit due to snow and ice on the road. It can also be very cold.

I think it's a long tough hike to the summit of Mauna Loa after driving as far as possible on the road. Thinking maybe you meant Mauna Kea instead?

I think it's a long tough hike to the summit of Mauna Loa after driving as far as possible on the road. Thinking maybe you meant Mauna Kea instead?

You're right, I stand corrected. I'm forever mixing the two up, but I did mean to refer to Mauna Kea.