Grab bars in bathroom in regular room

rickdeni

I cannot put weight on my one foot. We are on NCLs Hawaii cruise. I have requested a raised toilet seat and a stool for the shower. Does anyone know if their regular cabins have any grab bars in the bathroom or can I request them?

Never been on NCL, but if they are like every other line it will depend on cabin grade - i.e some of the high end cabinss like suites usually have rails, most cabins don't.

Why not get some suction rails and take them with you? They are really good and sometimes you'd wonder if you are going to pull the tiles off.

Are you going to be able to safely hop up the 6" into and out of the bathroom in a regular room?

Be very careful if you take one of the suction cup type hand rails, as they are NOT rated to bear your full weight and can come off the wall if you try to use them that way.

Are you taking a wheelchair or planning to use crutches or a walker or a knee scooter for your mobility throughout the ship and on shore excursions?

Every cabin I have been in (on 21 cruises - Princess, Royal, Celebrity, Carnival) in cabins varying from inside, outside and balcony cabins, every single one of them has had grab bars in the shower. And I have never had an accessible cabin.

I get into the shower at home which is raised without too much trouble. I will have a wheel chair for outside the cabin and a walker for inside the cabin. I do not plan on doing excursions but have rented cars on each of the islands except for Kona where I plan to stay on the ship and enjoy its amenities. I have requested a stool for the shower and a raised toilet seat which should help.

Some of the toilets in non handicapped cabins do not have a wall next to them. It could be a sink/tub/shower. All the handicapped cabins are butted against a wall with grab bars. You could use the sink/tub to assist you in getting up. The tubs are in the mini-suites and suites only.

Your walker should be of assistance in getting up from the toilet. The toilets on cruise ships usually sit pretty high.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from NCL POA cruise in a regular cabin. NCL provided a shower stool and raised toilet seat. Getting into the bathroom was a problem since I could not put any weight on my left foot. NCL sent up various items to help but none did. I ended up hopping up the 6'' ledge. Cabin was so small that I had to use the walker sideways which was also difficult. Even with all of this, I did enjoy the cruise.

Just got back from NCL POA cruise in a regular cabin. NCL provided a shower stool and raised toilet seat. Getting into the bathroom was a problem since I could not put any weight on my left foot. NCL sent up various items to help but none did. I ended up hopping up the 6'' ledge. Cabin was so small that I had to use the walker sideways which was also difficult. Even with all of this, I did enjoy the cruise.

Your amazing attitude will certainly see you through. I'm so glad that you did enjoy the cruise!