How busy are the ferry's?

megs193

Our ship gets into Bermuda at 9:00 and we should be able to get off at 9:30. Our plan for the first day is to take the ferry to Hamilton, walk around for awhile and then take the bus to St. George. There are a total of 2 ships in port that day so I am a little nervous about how crowded it will be. What time would we need to get in line to take a 10:30 ferry to Hamilton? Would we be better off taking a bus? Also has anyone had any issues with the 5:30 ferry from St. George to the Royal Dockyard being too full?

The first ferry out in the AM to St. George is quite busy with a long line but it is a large ferry and they usually get everyone on that one. The Hamilton Ferry is not as busy but it is a smaller ferry. The option of getting to Hamilton by bus seems to spread the crowds out. I am a person who believes the earlier the better so I would say to get into the Hamilton line as early as you can get of the ship, especially with two ships in port. If you dock at 9 AM, it usually takes about a half an hour to clear the ship for customs and then the mass exodus begins. Getting off the ship that first day might be the most difficult thing you do for your entire cruise. Everyone wants to be first to get off. As soon as you get off, head right for the Hamilton Ferry waiting line. The buses will be full too so I would take the Ferry just because it is a very nice ride.

The ships are always early docking at the Dockyard. You "might" be able to catch the first one...MAYBE...

A couple of weeks ago we could see pax from the Summit exit and run towards the first ferry to St-George....and miss it :(

I think being ready for the second one or even towards Hamilton and bus to St-George is a safe decision....but you might..just might..be able to make it !

Have fun !

On Monday, our EofS arrival was cleared by 9:00am. By the time we got off the ship and were on line to get our passes, we had to watch the St George's ferry leave at 9:30 am. As we didn't really expect to make it, our back plan was to take the 11:30 am. Then we ended up taking the next Hamilton ferry (leaves about every 1/2 hr and rarely full), and then caught the bus from there (#10 or #11) had no problems!.

On Monday, our EofS arrival was cleared by 9:00am. By the time we got off the ship and were on line to get our passes, we had to watch the St George's ferry leave at 9:30 am. As we didn't really expect to make it, our back plan was to take the 11:30 am. Then we ended up taking the next Hamilton ferry (leaves about every 1/2 hr and rarely full), and then caught the bus from there (#10 or #11) had no problems!.

First time going to Bermuda and we too have plans catching the first ferry to St. George on the first port day. I liked your last minute back-up plan. I assume those bus routes you mentioned can be picked up at the Hamilton Ferry stop?

Thanks,

John

They are running an extra Hamilton ferry at about 10am (it goes when it's full) because of the morning crowds - there is always a long line for the 9.30am St George ferry so you'll find it more comfortable to aim for this extra ferry and if you don't make it in time, then you can get the scheduled 10.30am one.

Hi! We were in Bermuda the last week of May, and went to St. George's with the plan to take the 3:30 ferry back to the dockyard. We got to the ferry at 3:15, and it was already full. We waited a long time for a bus to Hamilton, and ended up calling for a cab to take us. Took the Hamilton Ferry and got back to the ship.

My advice is to get to your desired ferry with extra time to spare. We saw a lot of people get shut out of the first ferry out of the dockyard to St. Georges as well.

First time going to Bermuda and we too have plans catching the first ferry to St. George on the first port day. I liked your last minute back-up plan. I assume those bus routes you mentioned can be picked up at the Hamilton Ferry stop?

No, the bus terminal is about a 10 minute walk from the ferry. After you leave the ferry, walk across the street and uphill on Queen Street two blocks, turn right onto Church Street - the Bus terminal is on the other side of the street just past City Hall (about a block and a half). I think the #11 is hard to catch unless you walk quickly (we missed it); either way, the #10 can be caught about 10 minutes later.

Suggestion: There are no facilities at the bus terminal :eek:; make a pit stop at the ferry office before you get on the bus. ;)

Edited by jdarch

No, the bus terminal is about a 10 minute walk from the ferry. After you leave the ferry, walk across the street and uphill on Queen Street two blocks, turn right onto Church Street - the Bus terminal is on the other side of the street just past City Hall (about a block and a half). I think the #11 is hard to catch unless you walk quickly (we missed it); either way, the #10 can be caught about 10 minutes later.

Suggestion: There are no facilities at the bus terminal :eek:; make a pit stop at the ferry office before you get on the bus. ;)

Thank You! Appreciate the tip!:)

It is true that there are no facilities at the bus terminal but if you get caught short, there are restrooms in City Hall (big white building beside bus terminal) - go in the front door, turn left down the ramp, and they're the first door on your left. Down one floor for gents, up one floor for ladies.

It is true that there are no facilities at the bus terminal but if you get caught short, there are restrooms in City Hall (big white building beside bus terminal) - go in the front door, turn left down the ramp, and they're the first door on your left. Down one floor for gents, up one floor for ladies.

Thanks. Always good to know! :)